Alternates for Debian

More
02 Dec 2022 14:54 #258322 by JT
Alternates for Debian was created by JT
On my dev pc I've been having nothing but hell with Debian and my graphics card an AMD Radeon RX 6600. I'm ready to try another OS as it seems like all I've done for the last couple of weeks is install and reinstall Debian. I do prefer the Mate desktop...

Any suggestions for a recent OS that has Mate or a similar desktop?

Also, it just amazes me how many things you have to "fix" on Debian to get a usable OS...

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2022 15:50 #258324 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Alternates for Debian
Going to try Linux Mint 21 Mate again... it's been a while since I tried it.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
02 Dec 2022 21:49 #258373 by JT
Ok Linux Mint 21 Mate recognizes my display and offers me all the possible choices for screen resolutions.

I need to read Tommy's post to see what kernel I need...

JT

More
02 Dec 2022 23:47 #258388 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Alternates for Debian
Friendly warning, although it is there also, do not try to install LinuxCNC before doing a full upgrade.
2 files (3 if you need dev) is all required and the kernel is currently the 6.02 i think, i did not check lately although i installed 2 laptops yesterday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JT

More
03 Dec 2022 02:36 #258391 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Alternates for Debian
The only alternative I played with was ArchLinux. It definitely fixed the debian error finishing read issue but it was an RIP build. There is a thread here somewhere that tell syou how to do it,

More
03 Dec 2022 02:58 #258393 by NTULINUX
Replied by NTULINUX on topic Alternates for Debian
I use Gentoo, I have an ebuild for LinuxCNC as well:

github.com/NTULINUX/ntu_overlay/tree/mai...electronics/linuxcnc

I don't mind hosting a tarball of a Gentoo root filesystem with a PREEMPT_RT kernel, just not sure where to post it. I can't host LinuxCNC packages though sadly due to the readline licensing GPL/LGPL issue.

I suppose I could write a script though that downloads LinuxCNC via Git and sets up a run-in-place environment.

More
03 Dec 2022 13:33 #258421 by JT

Friendly warning, although it is there also, do not try to install LinuxCNC before doing a full upgrade.
2 files (3 if you need dev) is all required and the kernel is currently the 6.02 i think, i did not check lately although i installed 2 laptops yesterday.

The fresh install of Linux Mint 21 gave me this kernel.
Linux cave 5.15.0-39-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 9 23:42:32 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Linux Mint is just different enough to mess with my work flow... so not sure.

JT

More
03 Dec 2022 13:35 #258422 by JT
I took a quick look at ArchLinux and it's pretty different from Debian. Doing some searching there are a lot of OS's that are just Debian in a different set of clothes.

JT

More
03 Dec 2022 13:38 #258423 by JT
I looked at Gentoo a while back and was reminded of the old linux days when you had to be a linux expert to get linux to run but then how could you become an expert if you could not get linux to run in the first place. The EMC devs had the same attitude when they released the BDI install. Which stands for Brain Dead Install and I could not get that to work either because I was not a linux expert.

JT

More
03 Dec 2022 13:45 - 03 Dec 2022 13:46 #258424 by JT
Seeing how I'm not getting anything done on the dev PC I think I'll putz around with building debian kernels in Debian 11 and see what I get.

Interesting that MX Linux was at the top of the list of OS page hits at distrowatch.com/

mxlinux.org/blog/debians-linux-kernel-5-...integrated-graphics/

mxlinux.org/blog/debians-linux-kernel-5-...integrated-graphics/

JT
Last edit: 03 Dec 2022 13:46 by JT.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds