Alternates for Debian

More
03 Dec 2022 18:52 - 03 Dec 2022 18:55 #258446 by NTULINUX
Replied by NTULINUX on topic Alternates for Debian

I looked at Gentoo a while back and was reminded of the old linux days when you had to be a linux expert to get linux to run but then how could you become an expert if you could not get linux to run in the first place. The EMC devs had the same attitude when they released the BDI install. Which stands for Brain Dead Install and I could not get that to work either because I was not a linux expert.

JT

What I was saying is that I can take the need to be a Linux expert out of the equation, and do most of the work myself. Complete desktop environment, PREEMPT_RT, etc. No SystemD, no Pulseaudio either. Would hosting a Gentoo root filesystem tarball with complete install instructions like:
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/gentoo
sudo mount /dev/<intended_partition> /mnt/gentoo
sudo tar --numeric-owner --xattrs-include='*.*' -xpf amd64_gentoo.tar.gz -C /mnt/gentoo

Then to update boot loader:
sudo update-grub

Be sufficient? Just select Gentoo via GRUB menu.

I could cover partitioning the disk too or even write a Bash script that does most of the work for you. I could write a LinuxCNC run-in-place build script too that would automatically grab the latest git.

Alec
Last edit: 03 Dec 2022 18:55 by NTULINUX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JT
  • JT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Dec 2022 23:47 #258464 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Alternates for Debian
After chatting on the IRC I think we have somewhat a plan to try Gentoo...

JT

• JT
  • JT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
04 Dec 2022 13:00 #258501 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Alternates for Debian
I changed the graphics card from a PowerColor Hellhound to MSI and all my issues went away. Debian 12 properly identified my monitor and now I have a sane resolution again. Both graphics cards are AMD Radeon RX 6600 and it seems like the PowerColor is named correctly because it gave me hell.

JT

More
13 Jan 2023 17:06 #261806 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Alternates for Debian
Spammer booted.

More
14 Sep 2023 21:40 #280787 by NTULINUX
Replied by NTULINUX on topic Alternates for Debian
I finally have the Gentoo for LinuxCNC installer pretty much wrapped up.

openlunchbox.com/mw19/index.php/HOWTO:_Gentoo_for_LinuxCNC

Let me know if there is any issues, I have included support for Atheros, Broadcom, Intel, Ralink, Realtek NICs (USB + PCI + SDIO)

The installer works with MMC, SDHC, ATA/AHCI/SATA (not all drivers included but this shouldn't be a problem, let me know if it doesn't boot) USB devices and NVMe. This is so the Gentoo image can boot and run off of USB flash media (not a live system either.)

This hasn't been thoroughly tested on various hardware so please let me know of any issues or missing features.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
15 Sep 2023 12:35 #280840 by Beef
Replied by Beef on topic Alternates for Debian
It appears you guys may have settled on Gentoo, but I've been using LinuxMint without major issues for quite a while now inspired by forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-nearly-easy-install this post. I have some 2017ish Dell Optiplex and a Mesa 7i76e and with all other factors the same (even the same kernel), I got better jitter and faster boots (~5-10s) with LinuxMint vs with Debian (took ~60s to boot). And this is with running the Plasma interface on Mint (I figured with the better jitter I could afford to run it).

I had used the install script from Joco github.com/joco-nz/lcnc-bullseye-installer with some modifications to package names so that it would function properly with the slightly different naming convention from the Mint repos.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds