EMC stops executing code (code format issue?)

More
17 Oct 2011 13:18 #13984 by andypugh
NICKKINSMAN wrote:

It might be part of this index-enable problem as well, that it is not getting the OK to proceed because it is waiting for spindle speed to show OK.

I don't think this is it, as I don't think that G-code is even using a mode where spindle synchronisation happens.
So, not only is it not using G76, or the slightly less suitable G33, it isn't even using G95 (feed per rev) mode. It is actually trying to cut a thread with absolutely no reference to the spindle at all, and just assuming that your spindle speed is spot-on.

I am beginning to see why JT has the opinions he has.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2011 02:51 #14001 by NICKKINSMAN
Yes, I am finding several errors in the G-code generator from Bob-CAD. I found one straight-up bug where if you select 'separate moves' for facing it just rapids to the very center and back out, have to select 'canned cycles' and then it will face it.

We'll see how they do, I've sent the edits into them to work on, and they say they are. Maybe they wil get a better post processor out of it. I would suspect there are not many shops running EMC with Bob-CAD which is probably why the processor has the problems.

But, to my earlier thought, if you have speed feedback to EMC and you tell it to run at S500, won' t it wait until you get in range to proceed? I thought I read that and it might be why it was not proceeding (poor Gcoding aside).

I noticed my spindle range setting was at 0.90 in HAL, (directions aren't clear here, but my interpreation is speed needs to be from 90 to 100% of the requested) and I was actually running around 520 RPM, so maybe I was out of range and it would not proceed?

Anyway, just glad I figured out where the code problem was (besides just poor G-coding in general)!

Thanks!

More
18 Oct 2011 09:11 #14006 by andypugh
NICKKINSMAN wrote:

But, to my earlier thought, if you have speed feedback to EMC and you tell it to run at S500, won' t it wait until you get in range to proceed?

It can but doesn't do so by default. Look at motion.spindle-at-speed here: linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config_emc2hal.html
and see if it is wired in your HAL (I suspect it probably isn't)

More
24 Oct 2011 12:05 #14161 by NICKKINSMAN
Replied by NICKKINSMAN on topic Spindle-at-speed
Apparently this is the case in my setup - I guess maybe PnCConf sets this up automatically, because I don't believe I selected that anywhere? I tried the code string again and sure enough, if I start with spindle off, it stops at the next line and once I spin up the spindle it proceeds.

I added in some code for the GS2 RPM meter in the post-HAL, but I really did not change anything in the HAL file that was setup in PnCConf besides the bug fixes have to do every time run PnCConf.

Very nifty feature, I must say, but kind of odd that it set itself up 'automatically'!

Thanks for checking!
Nick

More
24 Oct 2011 12:11 #14163 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Spindle-at-speed
If you upgrade to 2.4.7 the pncconf bug fixes will be in there...

John

More
25 Oct 2011 00:31 #14195 by NICKKINSMAN
Replied by NICKKINSMAN on topic Re:Spindle-at-speed
I am thinking of doing that but waiting till I get around to replace the hard drive to get rid of the latency issue that crops up once and awhile upon hard drive access. Doesn't seem to affect operation yet, but I am sure it will bite me one of these times.

I didn't really see it advertised though, is there a different place to get the LiveCD?
Thanks!
Nick

More
25 Oct 2011 10:54 #14204 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Spindle-at-speed
You should get the 2.4.7 update as an automatic update, or from the Software Centre.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds