G code files - from milling to laser cutting.

More
20 Sep 2013 04:45 - 20 Sep 2013 04:48 #39041 by grey1beard
I'm used to writing out G code for my 3 axis m/c working directly from paper sketches plus school level trigonometry for 2.5D patterns.

I'm now planning to get my ideas cut out by laser, and the owner can use .dxf, or .dwg.
He's running Alphacam, and mentions using .las files, but I can't find any likely info on that extension.

While I'm a competent user of of coreldraw on a windows m/c, it's going to be pretty tedious having to start from scratch in a none too brilliant installation of corel under wine, then going from .cdw(?) to .dxf, then emailing the result.

Is there a method of converting .ngc to dxf that might work in Ubuntu ?

I've seen fairly negative comments about gcode2dxf software, but that might have been improved by now.

John
Last edit: 20 Sep 2013 04:48 by grey1beard. Reason: extra info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2013 03:23 #39067 by jaredts
A simple cad program is the normal way to do this kind of work. Are you wanting to retain your current workflow of working from paper, or is there some other reason you don't want to use a cad program?

More
21 Sep 2013 19:47 #39073 by BigJohnT
You can draw the dxf files in Qcad on your Linux machine from your sketches.

JT

More
21 Sep 2013 21:05 #39075 by emcPT
I use QCad for a long time. It is well worth the money.

I even made a software that reads the QCad files (arcs, lines and circles) and outputs the desired structured GCode, mainly to my plasma cutter.

More
22 Sep 2013 03:19 #39089 by BigJohnT

I use QCad for a long time. It is well worth the money.

I even made a software that reads the QCad files (arcs, lines and circles) and outputs the desired structured GCode, mainly to my plasma cutter.

What did you write your software in?

BTW, Qcad is free...

JT

More
22 Sep 2013 04:07 #39094 by emcPT
The professional version is not free. I use the professional version mostly to also support the development. I make money with it, so it is fair to pay back to those that develop the software. I tested the software for maybe 1 year, then as it suited my needs I decided to bought it.

I do not quite understand your question: what did you write your software in

More
22 Sep 2013 19:02 #39106 by BigJohnT
The software to output G code from dxf.

JT

More
23 Sep 2013 01:06 #39110 by emcPT
I made in c# for windows platform. I needed a fast way to generate the code as I wanted, so I tested a few available programs that at the end I always needed to "clean" the output file. As I often program a bit, I made it to suit my objective.

More
23 Sep 2013 04:43 #39116 by grey1beard
Well thank you all for taking the time to contribute to my original posting, but somehow the actual question has disapeared into a discussion of a cad program.

I did include the specific question " Is there a method of converting .ngc to dxf that might work in Ubuntu ?"

If the answer is that there is no method of doing this, that alone would save me a lot of time looking, and I'll go back to using corelDraw on a windows m/c to generate my .dxf files.

John

More
23 Sep 2013 11:10 #39121 by Todd Zuercher
There are free G-code to DXF conversion programs that can be downloaded. (don't know if there are any for Linux) Google is your friend.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds