G code files - from milling to laser cutting.

More
23 Sep 2013 18:25 #39133 by grey1beard
Hi Todd.
I think that from the last two lines of my op, you might infer that ( a) I use google to search, and( b) that the the only one that I've found that works in Ubuntu has drawn rather unfavorable comments.

If any one knows of more up-to-date info, I'd be pleased to read it.
Regards
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2013 19:38 #39137 by emcPT
Do you want a free thing or are you willing to pay for it?

In linux is possible to draw in DXF -> convert to NCG (following your need/machine configuration), using a simillar aproach as I did before. I do not want to go commercial here, but it is possible without getting out of your linux machine.

More
23 Sep 2013 19:46 - 23 Sep 2013 19:47 #39138 by emcPT
This was previously a double post due to the "go back" in the browser.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2013 19:47 by emcPT.

More
24 Sep 2013 00:15 - 24 Sep 2013 00:19 #39145 by grey1beard
Hi emcPT.
I have read your earlier posts, and thank you for your help.

I know that I can start again in another programme, and create a new .dxf file, because I have CorelDraw, even though that means, for me, going to a windows pc.
This is not a major issue for me, as I have been using CorelDraw in windows for about 15 years.

What I am asking is for a conversion programme that will convert my G-code that I have already written, into a .dxf file.

When I'm working, I draft onto paper, then open a gedit window next to an Axis window.
I write the G-code directly, and keep refreshing the Axis window as I progress.
This allows me to learn from my mistakes as I try new instructions.

This method I will continue to use for my own 3-axis machine, but now I want to sent a file to another person with a laser cutter.
He needs a .dxf file (or a .dwg), and I am trying to find a conversion programme.

I do hope this makes it clear to everyone what I am looking for, and why.
(And I do know that i will need to modify it for the change from a mill to a laser !)

John
Last edit: 24 Sep 2013 00:19 by grey1beard.

More
24 Sep 2013 00:35 #39146 by Todd Zuercher
I don't think it is possible to create a realy good DXF file from a G-code file. I have tried to do it before using some freeware I downloaded for Windows. It worked and that is about all you can say good about it. What you will get will be the center of your tool path with no tool offsets... and any subroutines or complex stuff will likely not be interpreted right if at all but g1, g2, amd g3 moves should show up ok. With a lot of work with your cad program you should be able to mine enough data from the converted mess to recreate a usable file.

More
24 Sep 2013 04:09 #39149 by grey1beard

I don't think it is possible to create a realy good DXF file from a G-code file. I have tried to do it before using some freeware I downloaded for Windows. It worked and that is about all you can say good about it. What you will get will be the center of your tool path with no tool offsets... and any subroutines or complex stuff will likely not be interpreted right if at all but g1, g2, amd g3 moves should show up ok. With a lot of work with your cad program you should be able to mine enough data from the converted mess to recreate a usable file.

Hi Todd,
I think you've just hammered home the last nail in the coffin with your last sentence !

I'll fire up Corel on my windows pc, and set to work.

Regards
John

More
24 Sep 2013 12:52 #39151 by emcPT
I guess I missed understood your question. From the GCode to DXF that is "not normal".
If you are experienced in coreldraw, just export the file as dxf...

More
24 Sep 2013 21:25 #39158 by jaredts
A quick google search shows dxftools as a macro to run inside Coreldraw for dxf export (a free trial is available). I have a lot of experience converting g-code to geometry, as my last employer had lost a large database of 3d models (pretty complex, too). I used the reverse post function in Mastercam to bring gcode in as geometry. If it was an endmill program it could be offset in 2d in the top plane. Most of it was ballnose and you have to create surfaces on the gcode and then offset the surface by the ballnose radius. I still have to question why someone would draw in Coreldraw and not make the move to cad/cam, or at least a cheap/free cad software. It is so much more functional for data driven tasks like dimensioning and cnc programming. If you're doing artistic work, maybe it makes sense for you.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds