Font size in Axis code window

More
16 Jun 2011 07:43 #10569 by TarHeelTom
As I get older, the eyesight keeps getting older.

I need to increase the font size for the code window at the bottom of the axis screen.

How far into the code abyss does one need to dig to find the place where the font size and face are specified? Does this require a complete new compile? Or do I need to just look for a 72" plasma monitor for the mill?

Thanks

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2011 09:36 #10571 by andypugh
TarHeelTom wrote:

I need to increase the font size for the code window at the bottom of the axis screen.

I found myself in a similar situation with Touchy. it turned out that the solution was wierd, I needed to change the DPI setting in the "Appearance" settings of the desktop. It took a bit of drilling down into advanced settings to find it.

Alternatively, I suspect that a change to line 1507 in axis.tcl might do the trick:
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=emc2.git;a=blo...f435637a022efd6d8d0d

I _think_ that tcl is interpreted at run time, so you might not need to recompile. I don't know where that file lives in an installed system.

More
16 Jun 2011 11:30 #10572 by ArcEye
andypugh wrote:

Alternatively, I suspect that a change to line 1507 in axis.tcl might do the trick:

I _think_ that tcl is interpreted at run time, so you might not need to recompile. I don't know where that file lives in an installed system.

Ditto re the default faint and small font - I dislike it.

The file lives at /usr/share/axis/tcl in an installed sytem or at ..../emc-dev/share/axis/tcl in a run-in-place system

Unfortunately that -height parameter actually controls the height of the g-code window, not the font.
God knows what units it is using, I didn't notice what was happening until I changed it to 24

However, sheer bloody-mindedness pays off.

I know squat about python, tcl etc. but after trawling through all the code I noticed that all the widgets seem to have a property -font

If you change the declaration around the line 1507ish area that Andy pointed out to:-

text ${pane_bottom}.t.text \
-borderwidth 0 \
-exportselection 0 \
-height 9 \
-font 24 \
-highlightthickness 0 \
-relief flat \
-takefocus 0 \
-yscrollcommand
    ${pane_bottom}.t.text insert end {}

you will get a nice big bold font in the g-code text box next time you start emc

I am going to change all my computers to this now!

regards

More
16 Jun 2011 12:04 - 16 Jun 2011 12:05 #10574 by dgarrett
You can edit (or create) a ~/.axisrc file (see www.linuxcnc.org/docview/2.2/html/gui_axis.html#r1_11_4)
with a single command like this:

root_window.tk.call(".pane.bottom.t.text","configure","-font","Helvetica 20")

in this example, 20 is the font size
Last edit: 16 Jun 2011 12:05 by dgarrett.

More
16 Jun 2011 13:43 #10575 by ArcEye

root_window.tk.call(".pane.bottom.t.text","configure","-font","Helvetica 20")

It's the ideal solution, saves repeating the hack every time you upgrade, but I can't get it to work.

Under 2.4.6 it does nothing at all

Under 2.6pre it does enlarge and darken the font but in no relation to the size entered.
I tried 48 for the size and it was not noticeably larger than 24, which in turn was not greatly bigger than the default.

Strange when just entering -font 24 in the .tcl file has a huge effect.

Any ideas

More
16 Jun 2011 14:07 #10577 by dgarrett
I guess my example was for emc2.5, the text pane name is different for emc 2.4, try:

root_window.tk.call(".bottom.t.text","configure","-font","Helvetica 20")

or for a monospace font:

root_window.tk.call(".bottom.t.text","configure","-font","Courier 20")

More
16 Jun 2011 14:33 #10578 by ArcEye
Looks like they both use pane_bottom.t.text but even correcting the dot to an underscore produces the same thing
nothing in 2.4.6 and just darker and a little bit larger in 2.6 regardless of the font size passed

Very strange

More
16 Jun 2011 14:56 #10579 by TarHeelTom
WOW !

I finally found a subject that ALL the old farts can agree on.

And I thank the developers for leaving so many of these settings available to be changed, rather than casting all the settings in stone.

I'll dig into this later in the day and see what I can find.

Thanks for the quick response.

One other advantage of GNU software, the support team is awake 24/7.

Tom

More
17 Jun 2011 17:25 #10604 by TarHeelTom
I used Arceye's first solution, just opened the axis.tcl file and added the font 24 line to it.

It worked just fine.

I also copied this message thread to a file and put stuck it in the directory for future reference.

Tom

More
19 Jun 2011 10:41 #10616 by TarHeelTom
Now I have another stumper.

At the bottom of the left pane in axis, there is a slider marked Max Velocity, or something similar. Mine is showing a max velocity of about 400 in per min.

Where is the setup for that slider? Have spent a couple of hours digging through the docs, but haven't found it. I'd thought it'd be in the .ini file, but can't locate it.

Thanks

Tom

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds