Re:KeyChoice - Axis Key-Binding editor

More
12 Oct 2012 15:29 #25269 by LAIR82
I keep getting this error

srt@Cinci:~/linuxcnc-dev$ sudo dpkg -i keychoice_0.1-2_i386.debdpkg: error processing keychoice_0.1-2_i386.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
keychoice_0.1-2_i386.deb
srt@Cinci:~/linuxcnc-dev$

I downloaded the zip folder, placed the download in my -dev folder, right clicked extract all, then did the terminal commands.

Any thoughts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2012 16:43 #25271 by ArcEye

keychoice_0.1-2_i386.deb

If that is exactly what you are typing in, it is because the .deb is now called keychoice_1-2_i386.deb in this zip package

Do a ls in the directory, or even easier just enter sudo dpkg -i keychoice then press the Tab key and bash auto completion will fill in the rest

regards

More
12 Oct 2012 17:58 #25275 by LAIR82
I did the tab completion and the here is what it came up with,

srt@Cinci:~/linuxcnc-dev$ sudo dpkg -i keychoice_v2/
dpkg-split: error reading keychoice_v2/: Is a directory
dpkg: error processing keychoice_v2/ (--install):
subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2
keychoice_v2/
srt@Cinci:~/linuxcnc-dev$

So I tried

srt@Cinci:~/linuxcnc-dev$ cd keychoice_v2
srt@Cinci:~/linuxcnc-dev/keychoice_v2$ sudo dpkg -i keychoice_1-2_i386.deb
dpkg: error processing keychoice_1-2_i386.deb (--install):
keychoice_1-2_i386.deb
srt@Cinci:~/linuxcnc-dev/keychoice_v2$

I really need to learn this stuff.

More
12 Oct 2012 23:30 #25282 by LAIR82
I think its working, I found the keychoice icon in the folder, modified some keys, and wrote to the .axisrc and it worked. To double check I went to the terninal window and typed gedit .axisrc, and i saw the keys that I modified were there. I'm just not thinking it is working as intended.

Regardless I was able to use it to the point of seeing what keys were doing what, and modify them accordingly.

Thanks

More
13 Oct 2012 11:40 - 13 Oct 2012 11:45 #25284 by ArcEye
Hi

I really need to learn this stuff.

Afraid I am pretty blasé because I have been using Unix and Linux for donkeys years and its all just 2nd nature.

In the first output in your post you were trying to dpkg a .zip which won't work.

In the second I can only assume you had not unzipped it into that directory first.

I downloaded, extracted and installed the Qt4 version to check and it works fine

# dpkg -i keychoice [Tab] [Tab] gives available files matching that pattern
keychoice_1-2_i386.deb keychoice-qt4_1-2_i386.deb keychoice_v2.zip

# dpkg -i keychoice-qt4_1-2_i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package keychoice-qt4.
(Reading database ... 237010 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking keychoice-qt4 (from keychoice-qt4_1-2_i386.deb) ...
Setting up keychoice-qt4 (1-2) ...

I found the keychoice icon in the folder,

There is no keychoice icon, so I assume you are using nautilus file manager with 'icon view' and it displays files as icons

If it has installed correctly you should have keychoice in /usr/bin, keychoice.conf in /usr/share/axis and some automatically generated debian docs in /usr/share/doc/keychoice

You should then be able to just type keychoice at the commandline or add it to a menu with the menu editor.

I suspect you have just somehow managed to extract the files from the .deb into the same directory without actually installing them.

You can copy them to the locations they should be in rather than try further if that is so

regards
Last edit: 13 Oct 2012 11:45 by ArcEye.

More
13 Oct 2012 14:18 #25285 by LAIR82
I didnt hit tab twice on that command line. I do have the keychoice_v2 folder in my dev folder, I went into each folder in it and extracted all the files individually.

So I can just move each file to it respective position in the src folder and it should work from the command line?

I am just so new at this stuff, it takes a couple of trys and i finally figure it out.

More
13 Oct 2012 14:54 #25286 by ArcEye

So I can just move each file to it respective position in the src folder and it should work from the command line?

You can move the files to the respective positions in the file tree - yes.
A .deb is only really a glorified .tar.gz, you can open it and just copy what you want out of it, dpkg just automates things, checks for dependencies, runs ldconfig etc. etc.

So long as keychoice is in a directory in your PATH environment ( run echo $PATH in a terminal to see what they are if interested ) you can call it from anywhere by name.

I am just so new at this stuff, it takes a couple of trys and i finally figure it out.

It is worth persisting, the command line is powerful tool once you master it.
I use a terminal based file manager, midnight commander, and the command line for just about everything aside from the likes of mail and internet access.

regards

More
11 May 2017 09:26 #93012 by dab77
Hi, I would like to know if this method works under 2.8. I have a gantry with XXYZ, but on my Italian keyboard there's no way to jog the 4th axis... so I would like to remap all of them. Is it possible? in case, is it possible to use different keys for joint mode and world mode?
Thank you, Davide.

More
11 Oct 2019 00:42 #147674 by utoto
Hi ArcEye,
I just found your awesome post for a key changer. I'm very interested to try it as I'm in the same spot as others before me. As I have a fresh install of Debian Wheezy it gives me this error:

cnc@LinuxCNC:~$ sudo apt-get install libqt3-mt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libqt3-mt is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libqt3-mt' has no installation candidate

Any ideas? Thanks for looking.

More
18 Oct 2019 13:00 #148192 by andypugh
I don't think we have seen ArcEye round here for a few years. This post from 2012 is quite likely to be out of date now.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds