Change Tool Cone Size in Axis

More
02 Feb 2022 13:49 #233798 by Clive S

Yes, I did see that setting and it seems to be working with axis but does not have an impact when using gmoccapy. I even found the code in glcannon.py but hard coding that doesn't have an impact

You mentioned plasmac I don't know if gmoccapy will work with that.

plasmac is only getting bug fixes and has been replaced with QTplasmaC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2022 15:46 #233809 by rfallara
Thanks Clive...I did notice that poking around yesterday that QTplasmaC appears to be the path forward. It is a net new plasma table I am setting up so might make more sense to go straight there. Any issues running QTplasmaC on Linuxcnc 2.8.2? Or am I better waiting for 2.9 to go GA?

More
02 Feb 2022 17:41 #233818 by Clive S

Thanks Clive...I did notice that poking around yesterday that QTplasmaC appears to be the path forward. It is a net new plasma table I am setting up so might make more sense to go straight there. Any issues running QTplasmaC on Linuxcnc 2.8.2? Or am I better waiting for 2.9 to go GA?

I believe you need 2.9 to use QTplasmaC It is running many plasma's now and the support is second to none.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtplasmac.html

If you go this way it would be better to post on the forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac
The following user(s) said Thank You: rfallara

More
13 Feb 2022 04:05 - 14 Feb 2022 13:53 #234668 by Barry
Replied by Barry on topic Change Tool Cone Size in Axis
Thank you for pushing this change to Buildbot but unfortunately, I found an issue when changing tools on a 2 axis lathe. The scaling factor only affects the size of the tool used when Axis 1st starts up but the scaling factor does not hold after a tool change.

To reduce the tool size I inserted the following lines into the DISPLAY section of the .ini file. The initial tool size scaled down in Axis at startup, but as soon as I changed to a new tool, the scaling factor was ignored and the tool went back to full size.

CONE_BASESIZE = 0.25

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Barry

===============================
Please note, that Cris responded to my inquiry as follows:

cone size only scales the cone, not tools. Tools should be based on their tool table sizes.

Thank you.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2022 13:53 by Barry. Reason: Clarification and Issue Resolution

More
14 Feb 2022 03:43 #234785 by cmorley
cone size only scales the cone, not tools. Tools should be based on their tool table sizes.

More
14 Feb 2022 13:48 #234822 by Barry
Replied by Barry on topic Change Tool Cone Size in Axis
Okay now I understand. Sorry, I didn't recognize the difference between the Cone and a Tool, but now I do. Thank you for all of your help. :) I appreciate it.

Have a great week,

Barry :)

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds