Problem with homing ATC step motor

More
23 Jun 2022 21:28 #245726 by COFHAL
Tomorrow I publish the photos of the ATC. Regarding the sensors, I think I will use the hall effect switch, which are smaller and instead of drill holes, I will use neodymium magnets glued to a disk simulating a 3-bit gray code plus another for the index or strobe. in total 4 hall effect switch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2022 21:47 #245728 by andypugh

Tomorrow I publish the photos of the ATC. Regarding the sensors, I think I will use the hall effect switch, which are smaller and instead of drill holes, I will use neodymium magnets glued to a disk simulating a 3-bit gray code plus another for the index or strobe. in total 4 hall effect switch.

I shy away from magnets on machine tools, they attract swarf.

There are some fairly small inductive sensors: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313673605719 as an example. You need ones (like these) where the metal case comes right to the end. The others can't work buried in a hole in metal. 

More
24 Jun 2022 13:23 #245782 by COFHAL
  I will install the disk with gray code inside the ATC mechanism, so I will not have problems with the metal chips, this is the photo of the magnet and the hall sensor, the truth is that they are very small, which would allow me to make a sensor of very small position.
Attachments:

More
24 Jun 2022 13:49 #245787 by andypugh
The only reason not to use magnets, I suppose, is that you will need quite a lot of them. One for each strobe, and about 12 more to build the gray codes. Sensing metal instead you can use holes and grooves in existing parts for targets.
There are Hall sensors with magnets included for sensing metal targets, though I am not sure how well they do with pure DC sensing.
ATS-667 is one example, though they are bulkier than the one you show.
For something really tiny, look at reflective optical sensors, this one is 2.5 x 2 mm: uk.rs-online.com/web/p/reflective-optical-sensors/1612156

More
24 Jun 2022 14:32 #245788 by COFHAL
I have a doubt, in the carousel component there is talk of using that component in index mode, but now I don't understand what you mean by Strobe. Regarding the hall sensors, I have already used them in a tone that worked with MACH 3 and used it with INDEX input as seen in the photo. I already replaced it with an encoder now that I am using LINUXCNC.
Attachments:

More
24 Jun 2022 15:29 #245795 by andypugh
You can probably use the encoder with carousel. And probably also use the encoder index rather than an external one.

Carousel is basically intended to use any form of feedback that can work. Which includes an incremental encoder + index. (There is a pin for the offset between the index and pocket 1)

More
24 Jun 2022 18:49 #245803 by COFHAL
Thanks for your support, the difference between strobe and index is still not clear to me. You mention that a strobe is needed for each tool, I really don't understand, could you explain it to me with a drawing, and then the Index mode that is needed?

More
25 Jun 2022 01:39 #245831 by andypugh
Strobe is used on some changers to indicate that the current binary/gray code is valid.

Typically the Gray/Binary levels are set a long way before and after the pocket. Strobe says "believe it now"

Strobe and Index are functionally very similar. Which one to connect rather depends on your toolchanger,

I wrote the component, but that doesn't mean that I fully understand exactly how it works with every possible set of input, outputs and drives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Jun 2022 14:08 #245856 by COFHAL
.Read a little more about the carousel function to understand a little better how it is used. Regarding the encoding, I think it is now clear to me that when using index only two sensors are needed. Regarding what you call strobe, in another thread I found that it is a signal that is used in conjunction with gray coding or another to know exactly the position of the tool, avoiding errors when the turret is rotating and gaps appear that could be interpreted as a pocket, I don't know if that's a wrong interpretation.

More
07 Jul 2022 19:24 #246826 by COFHAL

File Attachment:

File Name: TORNOCNC.hal
File Size:12 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: TORNOCNC.ini
File Size:4 KB
Andy I already have the gray encoder working for the tool changer for the lathe, simulating the movement with the sensors, everything works fine. Now I included the stepper motor, but now the problem is that after homing the X and Z axes and trying from the MDI make a tool change with M6 Tx, I get the error: cant issue MDI command when not home. I understand that as the motor I use for the carousel I have no way of doing homing for linuxcnc this motor is not in the home position. These are my configuration files. 
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds