Spindle indexing signal direction

More
16 Feb 2022 07:38 #235016 by tommylight

What are the advantages/disadvantaegs of using only + signals rather that +/- ?

Lower interference suppression in case of single ended connection, meaning it is easier to cause missed counts from other equipment, like VFD or servo drives or plasma.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2022 07:57 #235017 by Clive S

I've seen other thread suggesting that method, and was wondering if that would be succsessful. What are the advantages/disadvantaegs of using only + signals rather that +/- ?

From what I can understand from the manual, I can supply a voltage upto 30vdc to the encoder. So I think I can use my existing 5v supply that I'm using already.

Ok To me it seems you are all over the place. You are asking lots of questions but not giving any answers back.

Can you be clear in what you are trying to achieve

Questions not answered :
Is the Z index 1:1 with the spindle?
I asked if you could show the Gcode you was using for threading ( I think you have a Boxford so using M4)
Why are you using G97 with threading?

You said:-

I tried to cut an M10 thread (1.5p) so I could check it with a standard nut.
Thread is measuring 0.75 approx. pitch with the RPM at 500
If I alter the G97 speed and try a fresh piece of bar to screw cut again to M10, the pitch will vary as I increase the revs. The pitch becomes finer. The pitch isn't consistent with any alteration of a new RPM.
Also, when feeding with G1 , the feed rates aren't what I would usually expect.

What is the reason to alter G97 (what do you have in the preamble at the top of the Gcode?

You mentioned you have a servo for the spindle how is it commanded 0-10v or step/dir etc.

It would help if you posted your complete config.

Sorry to be harsh. But its hard to help if you don't give info back.

More
16 Feb 2022 09:40 #235023 by rider-83
Clive,
I have stated that I have pitch error when using G76
This pitch error varies with differant spindle speeds.
G97 is used to set the spindle speed.
I may wish to change the spindle speed at times to suit differant materials or diameters, but I shouldn't see differing pitches because I've changed spindle speeds.
Therefor my thinking is that if I'm not getting a correct reading from the spindle encoder, then this may be the reason for the pitch error?
I have already answered your question regarding 1:1 previously. Yes it is.
I gave you the syntax example of the G76 code I'm using already and I have also stated I'm using a Boxford with M4 (see previous replies), but I won't be back at the workshop until weekend to get the exact code, hence the delay.

I am using 0-10v to control spindle speed.

As for the complete config, I will have to get this when I return to the workshop

I hope this is usefull for now, thanks for your help :)

More
16 Feb 2022 10:35 #235028 by Clive S

Clive,
I have stated that I have pitch error when using G76
This pitch error varies with differant spindle speeds.
G97 is used to set the spindle speed.
I may wish to change the spindle speed at times to suit differant materials or diameters, but I shouldn't see differing pitches because I've changed spindle speeds.
Therefor my thinking is that if I'm not getting a correct reading from the spindle encoder, then this may be the reason for the pitch error?
I have already answered your question regarding 1:1 previously. Yes it is.
I gave you the syntax example of the G76 code I'm using already and I have also stated I'm using a Boxford with M4 (see previous replies), but I won't be back at the workshop until weekend to get the exact code, hence the delay.

I am using 0-10v to control spindle speed.

As for the complete config, I will have to get this when I return to the workshop

I hope this is usefull for now, thanks for your help :)

There is no G97 in the code I posted. That is why it is good to see the code and config you are using

If you are using the PPort then you can't use a high speed count encoder. On the Boxford I used a 100 slot disc with simple sensors for A-B-Z.

photos.app.goo.gl/RieSHkx9ydsD5BoZA

More
16 Feb 2022 12:12 #235035 by rider-83
Yes, I am using the PPort. But I can select a PPR on the encoder as low as 16, so my thoughts were to select 100 is per usual Boxford. Would this get around the high speed issue ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
16 Feb 2022 13:44 #235042 by Clive S

Yes, I am using the PPort. But I can select a PPR on the encoder as low as 16, so my thoughts were to select 100 is per usual Boxford. Would this get around the high speed issue ?

What encoder you said you have a 100 slot disc

Where does this come from
:- But I can select a PPR on the encoder as low as 16

More
16 Feb 2022 15:22 - 16 Feb 2022 15:23 #235045 by rider-83

When the spindle is turning using M4, should the 'B' Phase be leading 'A' ?

Also,
I feel a bit of a challange.  The spindle servo drive has a differential encoder with A+ A- / B+ B- / Z+ Z-
Is it possible to connect LinuxCNC to this type encoder? I assume there will be the need of a special counter circuit?
Should I start a thread based on this project?

I think that using the servo drive encoder might be too fast for the PPort.

The problem with the rpm showing up and down might need a filter. Not sure though

It might help to move that to a new post and hope PCW will take a look.

Don't forget to add the config files

Last edit: 16 Feb 2022 15:23 by rider-83.

More
19 Feb 2022 11:47 #235323 by rider-83
Clive,

Below is the G76 code you requested.

G0 G7 G18 G21 G40 G49 G54 G64 G90 G91.1 G95 G99
T5M6
G97S1000M3
G43G0Z4.
X12.
G76P1.5Z-10.I-2.25J0.2K1.25Q30.R1.9H2.0
G0X80.
Z80.
M30

More
19 Feb 2022 11:49 #235324 by rider-83
Also,

Here is the .HAL

File Attachment:

File Name: b160tcl.hal
File Size:8 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds