Linking two gantry joints with homing switches so it unracks on home

More
09 May 2022 15:46 #242389 by tommylight
Use "show hal configuration" to watch the switch pins, then test by hand while watching to make sure they are connected to their respective joint in hal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2022 16:59 - 10 May 2022 17:01 #242394 by Clive S
In the ini file you have

[KINS]
KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XYZA
#This is a best-guess at the number of joints, it should be checked
JOINTS = 4

I don't think this will work.so e. KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XYZA this should be XXZA and joints = 5

You also have in the ini file [JOINT_xwas3] I don't think this is valid

Can you zip up the complete config and post it.
I then might be able to test it on my jig.

Edit:
I have setup a 2.8.2 config with pncconf and to my eyes it works differently than 2.9

In 2.9 using pncconf the gui shows a "HOME ALL" button that does not show in 2.8

I don't think I can help any further other than suggesting that you start from scratch with 2.9.

There are a lot of comments in the files you have and I have not seen a gantry.0.joint.00.home pin in the versions on LCNC that I have. I have done my tests  using a 7i76e
Last edit: 10 May 2022 17:01 by Clive S.

More
09 May 2022 18:41 #242401 by rodw
Homing from 2.7 to 2.8 changed significantly by implementing the joint axis code.
2.7 used to use gantrykins or something that is no longer required for a gantry.
Read the homing configuration chapter carefully,
I also picked up on the issue Clive outlined 
You have not clearly stated what your machine does. 
Is it a XYZ gantry machine with an addttional A axis?
Or was the A axis used in 2.7 to be the second X joint?

If it has a rotary axis and X,Y and Z axes, I would expect it to be defined as a XXYZA machine
If its just a gantry machine, its probably  a XYZX

More
11 May 2022 07:01 #242581 by dannym
Straightforward gantry using X1 and X2 with independent homing switches, Y, Z, and the rotary "A" is an optional add-on

More
11 May 2022 07:28 #242584 by rodw

Straightforward gantry using X1 and X2 with independent homing switches, Y, Z, and the rotary "A" is an optional add-on

Please read my previous post, You have only told Linuxcnc you have 4 motors in use and you have 5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 May 2022 06:42 #243318 by dannym
Yes I read that.

I bit the bullet and renumbered things for XXYZA joints and JOINTS=5.

Now I've got a prob where pgup/pgdown are moving the Y axis, joint 3, instead of Z, joint 4.  Nothing moves the Z.  This is prior to homing.
HAL and INI enclosed, any help would be appreciated

I'm a little confused what the numbering is and how we're connecting "Y" to the JOINT and eventually physical STEP/DIR pins. 
 hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.stepgen.01 always goes to STEP1 on the 7i92, right?  The existing board isn't going to change, I kept them in the same place and Y is plugged into STEP1/DIR1 on the 7i92 pinout.
PIDx could be numbered in any arbitrary sequence as long as we're consistent, right?  But we're going to make it the same as the stepgen number.

I'm connecting through emcmot.x and motor.x, and a gantry component.  Are these obsolete?  I'm looking at an example at forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...re-dual-motor-gantry and it doesn't use them, but that's not using a 7i92 card.

OK just saw- prior to homing, this is hardcoded that left/right go to Joint_0, up/down are Joint_1, and Pgup/dwn are Joint_2?  
We do require the ability to move the system with the keyboard or mpg prior to homing.  Hundreds of makerspace users trained to use it that way. 
So I need to go back and make X Joint_0 and Joint_3 (or 3), Y Joint_1, and Z Joint_2?
And go back and change [TRAJ] and [KINS] to "coordinates=XYZXA" if we ever want to be able to jog prior to homing?

Attachments:

More
19 May 2022 07:36 #243319 by rodw
We've tried to explain that things are different in 2.8
I repeat what I said before. The gantry component is obsolete. Get rid of it.
So the hardware has stepgens numbered starting from 0. These are the joints (or motors)
The stepgens can now be mapped to joints in an arbitrary order
These are mapped to axes with something like what Clive said
KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XXYZA
This maps the joints to axes

You might need to have it configured a XYZXA in your case or something differnet.
The two axes that are joined together need HOME_SEQUENCE= -1
The remaining axes need a HOME_SEQUENCE in the order you want to home them starting at 0 and counting upwards
Do not rely on forum posts, read the docs. Its all in here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/config/ini...tml#_homing_sequence
or here
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/config/ini-config.html

More
19 May 2022 08:18 #243321 by tommylight
[ ]
Those are the keys to jog Z axis while in joint mode, located under BackSpace and to the left of the Enter key.

More
20 May 2022 16:30 - 20 May 2022 16:32 #243413 by dannym
All right! Almost there. Removed gantry component, resequenced it as XYZAX, got it doing the indepent unracking homing.

But I do need it to move the gantry- joints 0 and 4- synchronously while unhomed. Again- large user base of unsupervised makerspace users who need this to work the same way. There are definitely reasons to jog the gantry prior to homing. 

The keyboard and mpg X jog command currently moves joint_0. How can I make it just move joint_4 the exact same way when still in joint mode? Or can it be turned into axis mode while unhomed like 2.7? That would be ideal, joint mode is going to generate some amount of questions
Last edit: 20 May 2022 16:32 by dannym.

More
20 May 2022 20:08 #243425 by andypugh
I don't think that it is actually possible to joint-mode jog a gantry with the keyboard without code changes in the GUI.

Keyboard jogging is handled entirely in the GUI [1] and the GUIs seem to make specific assumptions about joints.

I would recommend not allowing any jogging before homing. I know you have rejected that option, but it's the right one.

[1] And is in some ways a terrible idea. Machine motion does not belong in userspace

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds