Mini lathe conversion to CNC

More
26 May 2017 05:00 - 26 May 2017 05:01 #93650 by tml
Replied by tml on topic Mini lathe conversion to CNC
Interesting. That homing process sounds pretty straight forward and should give repeatable results as well. The only issue I can see with that is some stepper motor/servo have a tendency to jitter or move slightly when it's first powered on. If that happens then it would throw off your last home position that you saved. Have you ever experienced that?

My plan is to use one proximity sensor for limit and homing function for each axis. I still have to wait for some more parts before I can get that going.
Last edit: 26 May 2017 05:01 by tml.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2017 11:41 - 26 May 2017 11:44 #93654 by verticalperformance

Interesting. That homing process sounds pretty straight forward and should give repeatable results as well. The only issue I can see with that is some stepper motor/servo have a tendency to jitter or move slightly when it's first powered on. If that happens then it would throw off your last home position that you saved. Have you ever experienced that?

If I'm chasing accurate diameters, I always chuck some scrap and confirm that the diameter Linux CNC thinks it's making is the diameter it's actually making. Then I touch off X on the measured just machined diameter to compensate for the x=0 in machine coordinates being a little off.

Every now an then I'll do the above, command the machine to X=0 in part coordinates, turn off the drives, then command the machine to X=0 in machine coordinates and re-home.

I always command the lathe back to the home location when I'm done, so it starts up pretty close to x=0, as you noted sometimes the axis jiggles a little on startup. Having a real home switch on the X would be a real timesaver though!
Last edit: 26 May 2017 11:44 by verticalperformance.

More
02 Aug 2018 16:59 - 02 Aug 2018 17:01 #115414 by tml
Replied by tml on topic Emergency stop switch
Wow it's been such a long time since I last did some thing on this conversion that I almost forgot about the thread. Most of that time I only used the lathe occasionally making some odd parts here and there by hands. Anyway right now it has NEMA 23 stepper motors, driven by two Gecko G251X controllers. A PNP N.C. type inductive proximity sensor is installed for limit/homing for each axis. My next step is wiring up an e-stop button because I want to add some protection in case any thing goes wrong and a tool crash. On the Gecko G251X there is a disable pin that is supposed to stop the stepper motor when shorted to ground (common pin). So I'm getting a N.O. contact block to wire up to those terminals. I have plan to stop the lathe motor in case of emergency by wiring up a N.C. contact block to the motor controller's on/off switch wire. I don't know if the Mesa 7i76 board has some terminals I should hook up the e-stop wiring to, to notify it when the button is pushed ... I would think it's a good idea to let LinuxCNC know. I'll have to look into this later as I've been away from all this for a while.

- Tim
Last edit: 02 Aug 2018 17:01 by tml.

More
02 Aug 2018 17:32 #115418 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Emergency stop switch

I don't know if the Mesa 7i76 board has some terminals I should hook up the e-stop wiring to, to notify it when the button is pushed .

Nothing specifically for that job.

On my lathe I use an auxiliary terminal on the main contactor to indicate an e-stop has been pressed. The e-stop breaks the coil current, the contactor drops out and the auxiliary contact opens to inform LinuxCNC.

On the mill I used a second switch block on the E-stop button, NC breaks to turn off the contactor, NO makes to inform LinuxCNC.

More
19 Aug 2018 17:35 #116334 by tml
Hi Andy,
I have another N.C. contact block that I can use to connect to the 7i76. Am I right in thinking that my +24V goes to the E-stop switch, then run the other wire from the switch to one of the 7i76's field input connectors?

More
21 Aug 2018 22:36 #116430 by andypugh
That sounds right
The following user(s) said Thank You: tml

More
22 Aug 2018 12:03 #116444 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Emergency stop switch
I have a diagram on this page showing how to hook up an input.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/configs/7i77.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tml

More
28 Aug 2018 01:48 #116688 by tml
Okay, I got the switch hooked up and it does disable the stepper motors when I press it (it's a latching type push switch). But on my Axis screen, the X button (emergency toggle) does not show it's pressed down. I've checked the "Show HAL Configuration" screen and can verify that it does change status from brown to yellow when I press the switch. Why the X button doesn't change when I press the switch I don't understand.

More
28 Aug 2018 10:09 #116695 by andypugh
Which HAL signals is the button connected to?

More
28 Aug 2018 16:08 - 28 Aug 2018 16:10 #116718 by tml
Hi Andy,
The button is connected to a signal called estop-ext. Attached is a screen shot of my HAL Configuration screen.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Aug 2018 16:10 by tml.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds