Small lathe conversion

More
13 Apr 2017 23:39 - 13 Apr 2017 23:43 #91334 by Biersmythe
Replied by Biersmythe on topic Small lathe conversion
Well that all is a lot to consider. Every CNC I have ever used was a servo system, but we are talking machine shop (slant bed lathe and machine center stuff) not home. I bought this small lathe to make parts for hotrods and hobby toys with the occasional paying job mixed in. I do not have a lot of space or I would have bought a full size machine not table top. That said I have already been asked about making parts for people. I am new to building CNC machines but not running them. I like the closed loop stepper drives you posted Andy, that is the direction I think I would like to go, was really looking at servos because of my own experience. I will probably only go that direction if it will work with a small form factor pc and some motion card. I looked at the leadshine ebay link, the only reservations I have with something like that is the power of the stepper in the nema 23 range listed 283 oz/in. I will do some research in that direction and other offerings. Any other advice is welcome. Thank you all for the help.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2017 23:43 by Biersmythe. Reason: Sp and format

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2017 00:22 #91335 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Small lathe conversion

the only reservations I have with something like that is the power of the stepper in the nema 23 range listed 283 oz/in.

This is my old lathe with 2Nm Nema 23 steppers:

But I did replace that lathe with another with 1kW servos.

Rapids are clearly much faster, and the feed and cut is very conservative in the second example. (I don't seem to have any videos of it working properly)

More
15 Apr 2017 00:05 #91384 by Biersmythe
Thank you for that Andy. Well I did a little looking around and found a few things and was wondering if they would work with the linuxcnc. Found this americanmotiontech.com/motor-drive-sets/...otor-drive-set-80vdc. Google told me nema 23 and 24 are the same bolt pattern, and they seem to have more powerful servo. Then I found this which I like a lot cause it is silent and very powerful but not sure if a 7i76E mesa card would control it. www.teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SDSK-2321S-ELN/ I have seen this mentioned on this forum but they were used on a router table. After reading quite a few postings and serching the fourm the hardware I would like to run is as follows. A ZOTAC ZBOX C Series Passive Cooling Mini PC --> 7i76E --> closed loop stepper/controler or clearpath sdsk servo/controler combo. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

More
15 Apr 2017 00:42 #91385 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Small lathe conversion
I think either would do. You would have to add a stepper controller to the clearpath one.

Also note that NEMA 23 & 24 do not have the same dimensions so check the specs of your chosen drive before making any parts...

More
15 Apr 2017 01:38 #91386 by Biersmythe
Hello Rod thank you for the reply. I looked again at the frame size and yep your right they are slightly diffrent by a few mm. As far as the clear path sdsk their website says "The ClearPath-SD models priced below combine a brushless, permanent magnet servo motor, encoder, and vector sinewave drive with a step and direction interface, all in one compact package." Their pdf just called for you to "tune" the servo, I didnt see that you had to use their drive thats why I asked if it would work with the mesa card. Ill do somemore reading on their site.

More
15 Apr 2017 02:38 #91388 by andypugh
All your combinations can be run by LinuxCNC. There isn't a lot that LinuxCNC can't run.

More
15 Apr 2017 02:51 #91389 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Small lathe conversion
Thanks. I had a look at clearpath again as its been a while. I thought they needed a driver but they don't. Th6eey also say it can be driven by an Arduioo. If an Arduino can drive it, the 7i76e certainly can!

I think they have Window based tuning software so you may need a cable to tune them.

More
15 Apr 2017 02:58 #91392 by Biersmythe
Thanks Rod for conferming. Well ill also need a windows pc to go with the cable...lol ill have to borrow one. Im going to read the whole pdf for those servos and see if they are for me. I do like how quiet and smooth they were in their video. I am going to start gathering parts soon. Thanks all for the input.

More
15 Apr 2017 10:51 #91406 by andypugh

Thanks Rod for conferming. Well ill also need a windows pc to go with the cable.

You might be able to use VirtualBox or similar.

More
28 Apr 2017 18:44 #92299 by cromaglious
Replied by cromaglious on topic Small lathe conversion
The JMC-motor.com IHHS57-36-20 2nm integrated closed loop stepper is only 283ozin, however it acts like a 425ozin open loop stepper, since you not having to have overhead in ozin to stop missed steps. At $114 vs clearpath's $257 it's worth playing around with a bit. They also have a tuner box that as soon as I get one I'll be reverse engineering to figure out a linux util for.

Cheers Robi

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds