Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

More
30 Oct 2022 18:00 #255469 by RotarySMP
Spumco I just reread your very helpful post.  I need to print out and laminate this one.

Does your lathe have a turret which rotates around a vertical axis like the Schaublin, or a horizontal axis?
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2022 18:48 #255474 by smc.collins
just watched todays video, the bit on hal and plc was super helpful
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
30 Oct 2022 21:01 #255489 by RotarySMP
If you haven't used Classic ladder before (as I haven't) "The Feral Engineer"'s videos are a really good introduction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

More
30 Oct 2022 21:26 #255491 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

Spumco I just reread your very helpful post.  I need to print out and laminate this one.

Does your lathe have a turret which rotates around a vertical axis like the Schaublin, or a horizontal axis?
Mark

Mark,

It rotates around a horizontal axis - bog standard slant-bed turret lathe, just midget sized.  It's got 12 positions (VDI16), 6 of which can be live tools.  Has a C-axis but no Y-axis.

Look at the photo I've attached... the tool at 1 o'clock is a bar puller.  It's a home-brew copy of the Dunham bar puller and is what I was referring to in my last post.  I've since replaced it with a better, shorter model (also home-made) that has interchangable pullers for different stock.

The crash-avoidance sequence I use should work well for you.  The turrets like yours usually have to back up further than my style, but you have fewer tools 'in the way' when actually machining.  Your tools swing a larger arc (especially with drills, boring bars, ect), but aren't interfering with each other as much.

As usual, thanks for the good video today.
-Ralph

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, smc.collins

More
30 Oct 2022 23:57 #255523 by smc.collins
have tried those coolant powered bar pullers ?? been considering one

More
31 Oct 2022 00:00 #255525 by tommylight
That is a cute turret! :)
I am scared of mine! :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, spumco

More
01 Nov 2022 02:44 #255631 by spumco

have tried those coolant powered bar pullers ?? been considering one

They look sweet, but the smallest one I can find has a 5/8" shank; they're not available with a direct VDI16 shank.  I'd wind up with a >4" long dingus hanging out of the turret getting in the way of everything after I stuff the 5/8" shank in a boring bar holder.

The photo above is an older version - my new one is based on a VDI blanking plug with a short (1" long) 'grabber' so the whole thing only sticks out about 30-35mm from the turret.  Real estate on the lathe is hard to come by and having the shortest tools possible helps in just about every way.

What I'd like is one of the side-approach roller types with a built-in parting tool.  Be nice to do pulls on smaller diameters mid-cycle, then part it off with the same station.  Like a combo of the Royal combo thing and the EZ-Puller.  But it's hard to find accessory stuff for 12mm shank stick tools.

Actually, what i really want is a short bar magazine, but the Emco super-short LM800 seems to be unavailable at any price.  Have to build my own I guess since I've got no room for a 12' hydro feed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

More
01 Nov 2022 22:53 #255706 by smc.collins
a 4inch dingus in my machine isn't much of a ordeal unless I am working with a 24 or long piece of material and still, not a problem. If I get time maybe I should design a sub 5/8 diameter bar puller that uses coolant pressure to clamp down

More
02 Nov 2022 02:09 #255743 by spumco
If you design one that has a VDI16 shank I'll send you many American dollars.

[Sorry Mark, totally off on a tangent from your thread]

More
02 Nov 2022 02:16 #255745 by smc.collins
OT, I'll look into it

Mark is there any good documents in how to get working with hal ?? like a good explanation that not geared to a programmer??

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds