Threading on a Boxford TCL lathe

More
24 Apr 2021 10:33 #206942 by john11668
I have been pinching code from the wizards in mach 3 which I have a licence for
The Mach 4 Wizards seem better but wont produce code on an unlicenced hobby version.
Needs someone to write an open source set ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2021 11:24 - 24 Apr 2021 11:25 #206944 by robertspark
what's wrong with NativeCAM setup for lathe?

github.com/FernV/NativeCAM
Last edit: 24 Apr 2021 11:25 by robertspark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: john11668

More
24 Apr 2021 21:21 #206968 by john11668
Thank you Robert but I I struggling to see the relevance to turning operations .
Maybe I need more guidance from you.

More
24 Apr 2021 22:32 #206972 by robertspark

if you change the setting to lathe it will change all the Wizards to turning functions (similar to the mach3 and mach4 wizards

the above clip may help
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Apr 2021 23:12 #207052 by john11668
So how do I get access to nativecam??

More
26 Apr 2021 07:06 #207080 by robertspark
bit convoluted, but start by downloading and running this script

forum.linuxcnc.org/nativecam/32891-use-n...eb-package-now#94274

then go through steps 4 to 9 here.

forum.linuxcnc.org/nativecam/39068-nativ...buster-please#182941

then steps 1 and 2

then run steps 10 to the end

then

To use with your own inifile, it must first be edited. From a normal user terminal, change directory to the one that contains your inifile Using the command : ncam -i(inifilename) -c('mill' | 'plasma' | 'lathe') will automatically create a backup and modify your file. It will also prepare the sub-directory with needed files and links. If you use axis and -t option it will be embedded in a tab

from the second section of here....
github.com/FernV/NativeCAM
ncam -i(inifilename) -c lathe

if you are running Gmoccapy then you have other options for its location as it can be on a tab or as part of the main screen, you just edit your ini file

More
26 Apr 2021 17:45 #207143 by john11668
Thanks for that Robert but please excuse me if I dont go there yet.

I need to get more familiar with the basic functions first and hopefully manage to get a working lathe .
Going back to the start of this thread I was struggling to get a threading canned cycle going. I managed but was not sure how I had done it, which makes it difficult as it now seems to have ceased to work again and of course I dont understand why.

So back to square one .
With the bit of code I put up earlier and the file I zipped and attached why doesn't it go?

More
29 Apr 2021 23:36 #207420 by andypugh

With the bit of code I put up earlier and the file I zipped and attached why doesn't it go?

What actually happens? Are you reading spindle speed?

More
16 May 2021 21:25 - 16 May 2021 21:52 #209171 by john11668
Hi folks
Sorry has been a while since I last visited . Other things going on and this is supposed to be a hobby.

I can read my spindle speed in gmocappy and it correlates well with what I read on a mechanical tachometer .
I just dont get the Hal meter thing.
I can only find Hal mater in Axis format. I find spindle speed , click to select it but does not seem to lead anywhere, and then if I then try to go back to my Gmocappy page it wants me to restart so all is lost .

Maybe I am doing it all wrong, but all I am doing is trying to find the functions I have been guided to and failing . As I have said before I am a total newbie to linux. Maybe some more step by step instructions would get me there but I need taking by the hand on this .

It seems clear to me that spindle speed is the issue, but we have a system (as I understand it ) where my program specifies a motor speed and then looks for a spindle speed . My lathe is geared by belts and I have to specify S1100 to get a spindle speed of 250 ish and that 250 figure is pretty accurate .
I have tried changing the "spindle at speed" tolerance in my config but each time I try That I then cannot restart without an error message which might as well have been written in chinese for all the use it is to a newbie .

So the following questions arise !
How does Linuxcnc handle gearing and where do I enter the required settings?
If I need to view Hal meter how do i do it in gmocappy?
What do I need to do in order to get guidance on how to make a pretty basic lathe work for screwcutting? (lets face it I can do most other things in mach 3 )

I am not the sort of guy to be easily beaten but I am rapidly approaching this with Linuxcnc and not really feeling "assisted" here.
Any help is actually appreciated .
Honest
Last edit: 16 May 2021 21:52 by john11668.

More
16 May 2021 22:02 #209175 by andypugh

I just dont get the Hal meter thing.
I can only find Hal mater in Axis format.

The hal meter can be opened in Gmoccapy by going to the settings screen, at which point it is one of the buttons at the bottom.

It seems clear to me that spindle speed is the issue, but we have a system (as I understand it ) where my program specifies a motor speed and then looks for a spindle speed . My lathe is geared by belts and I have to specify S1100 to get a spindle speed of 250 ish and that 250 figure is pretty accurate .

A CNC machine generally works in such a way as that you command a spindle speed and get a spindle speed.
How many gears do you have? I assume that there is no way for the system to know which gear the lathe is in?

I have tried changing the "spindle at speed" tolerance in my config but each time I try That I then cannot restart without an error message which might as well have been written in chinese for all the use it is to a newbie

What is the error? We can translate.

How does Linuxcnc handle gearing and where do I enter the required settings?

It's not simple or built-in, partly because there are a number of ways that is can be done.
(On purpose-built CNC machines, if there are gears then the controller itself has control of gear choice)

My lathe has control of clutches, but on my milling machine, which has manual gear selection, I have set up a system in HAL where the machine infers the selected gear from the ratio of the motor speed to the spindle speed.
But that is a fairly complex bit of HAL.

Assuming that you want to tell the machine which gear it is in, how would you like to do that? On-screen? Mechanical knob? Or do you want to try automatic detection?

If I need to view Hal meter how do i do it in gmocappy?

Settings screen (unlock code 123) button at the bottom.

What do I need to do in order to get guidance on how to make a pretty baic lathe work for screwcutting? (lets face it I can do most other things in mach 3 )

You need to get the spindle encoder set up so that one turn of the spindle clockwise increases the pin spindle.0.revs by exactly 1.0. (which is where halmeter can be useful)
And you need a once-per-rev index signal too.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds