Building servo drivers and more into mesa cards

More
12 Aug 2014 07:40 #49725 by vre
Is possible to drive from a mesa card (like 5i22) a 3 phase ac brushless synchronous servo motor with a 3 phase sin-pwm igbt bridge power circuit ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2014 15:43 #49742 by andypugh

Is possible to drive from a mesa card (like 5i22) a 3 phase ac brushless synchronous servo motor with a 3 phase sin-pwm igbt bridge power circuit ?

Yes. The Mesa 3-phase pwmgen can create 6 phase-locked PWM signals for high and low-side drivers, with a variable dead-time.
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/hostmot2.9.html#3ppwmgen

You would need to find (or create) a firmware with 3pwmgens in it. If you need all 6 outputs then you need (for example) the TPEN_6_6 firmware
( git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=hostmot2-firmw...ba73e58757855c39c64d ) which appears to only be built by default for 5i23, 7i43 (fewer channels) 5i20 and two cards ending in "i68" and "i65" that I am not completely sure how to identify...
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=hostmot2-firmw...99a75285791f;hb=HEAD
The following user(s) said Thank You: vre

More
13 Aug 2014 02:10 #49775 by vre
Exist working examples using 3pwm in real ac brushless servo with custom made 3 phase igbt H bridge driver ?
I have a servo driver with 2 pcbs inside 1 for logic control signals with dsp/cpld and 1 for power with igbt and optocouplers if i connect the power pcb to mesa card it will work or needs and other things ?

In this setup encoders are connected to mesa and pid is done to linuxcnc servo thread right ? What driving modes(step-dir/velocity/torque) are supported
with 3pwmgens ?

More
13 Aug 2014 02:48 #49776 by andypugh

if i connect the power pcb to mesa card it will work or needs and other things ?

You may well need gate drivers.

Rather than use the existing board you could try looking at an off-the-shelf IC for which a data sheet and spec is available.

uk.rs-online.com/web/p/motor-driver-ics/6880723/

Is 600V / 6A but others are available for larger currents (at extra cost) and with integral current-measuring shunts (at extra cost)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds