5i25 - Using Encoder on Axis

More
30 Sep 2015 19:09 #63258 by cncbasher
a z axis stepper loosing steps in a downward direction only is mostly down to using microstepping which is too high , it's rarely needed on a z , higher that half step .
remember the faster an axis goes the less torque it has , idealy a quick remedy is to increase the stepper supply voltage and make sure it has enough amps to supply all steppers

it's also the physics of weight too which dont help , also a reason why z axis is geared .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2015 19:57 #63260 by LearningLinuxCNC

SUCCESS!!!, or at least found a work around.

So guess who ordered a 10:1 gearhead.. I know i'm going to sacrifice a little bit of acceleration and a lot of feedrate but at least it will not drift. From what i can tell i will be able to get about 100in/min with the steppers i have.

The other thing that a gearhead can introduce is backlash in the drive train. What type of gear head did you purchase?

More
30 Sep 2015 20:20 - 30 Sep 2015 20:29 #63261 by jds8086

a z axis stepper loosing steps in a downward direction only is mostly down to using microstepping which is too high , it's rarely needed on a z , higher that half step .
remember the faster an axis goes the less torque it has , idealy a quick remedy is to increase the stepper supply voltage and make sure it has enough amps to supply all steppers

it's also the physics of weight too which dont help , also a reason why z axis is geared .

I tried single and half step, the results actually seemed to be worse vs using 5 or 10.

Running ~50V currently (haha see what i did there lol). steppers are 2.2mh inductance

The other thing that a gearhead can introduce is backlash in the drive train. What type of gear head did you purchase?

These are supposed to be max 13arc-minute backlash. And it is new thankfully.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Sep 2015 20:29 by jds8086.

More
30 Sep 2015 22:40 #63280 by cncbasher
did you remember to change the step values ?
and not just alter the drivers .

i would seriously get this working on either full or half step first , before introducing microstepping ,
this sounds quite alarming .

once you have it correct then introduce microstepping

this sounds more a step configuration mismatch , or mismatched driver setup

are you connecting the +5v for the steppers to the positive side of the opto's in the gekos
and the neg sides to the 7i76 ? .

More
01 Oct 2015 01:32 - 01 Oct 2015 01:35 #63297 by jds8086

did you remember to change the step values ?
and not just alter the drivers .

i would seriously get this working on either full or half step first , before introducing microstepping ,
this sounds quite alarming .

once you have it correct then introduce microstepping

this sounds more a step configuration mismatch , or mismatched driver setup

are you connecting the +5v for the steppers to the positive side of the opto's in the gekos
and the neg sides to the 7i76 ? .

I have the common on the drive hooked to gnd on 7i76 and the step+ and dir+ from 7i76 to drive step and dir input. Should I use 5v for common and step- and dir- instead?
Last edit: 01 Oct 2015 01:35 by jds8086.

More
01 Oct 2015 10:25 #63311 by jds8086
Never fails.. the gearhead i ordered doesn't have the correct bolt spacing for a nema 34 motor.. i thought it was safe to assume that a "NemaTrue" 34 gearhead would fit a nema 34 motor lol.. The other end that bolts to the machine is correct though.. guess i'm gonna have to do some modifications. I only paid $100 for this gear head and from what i can tell i'm not going to find a deal like that ever again if i return it to find something that works out of the box.

More
01 Oct 2015 23:08 #63339 by cncbasher
yes reverse the sense , place +5v as your common power and use the negatives to the 7i76
you should see an improvement

More
02 Oct 2015 03:07 #63345 by jds8086
Looked it over a couple times after making the change and it won't step at all hooked up that way. Gecko manual says to hook it up neg common.

More
02 Oct 2015 03:47 #63348 by cncbasher
ok , i am lead to believe that geko's are set by default to 10 microstep by default , but please dont take my word , as i dont use them
i'm not sure if you can switch them to say half step etc .

so apart from gearing as your in the process of , and if your setup files are good , then i think your options are low .
so difficult when you dont have the machine in front of you .

More
02 Oct 2015 04:05 - 02 Oct 2015 04:40 #63350 by jds8086
The 213v and 210x do have selectable micro stepping. I've tried single and half and both give worse results 5 or 10
Last edit: 02 Oct 2015 04:40 by jds8086.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.458 seconds