Spinx1 to 7i85

More
19 Aug 2016 02:16 - 19 Aug 2016 02:17 #79031 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Spinx1 to 7i85
The encoder is counting in the positive direction when running M3.
The index value is false and the status led is brown under the hal config show/watch tabs.
Index pulse shows up in Hal Scope.

I have this in my hal:
net spindle-index-enable hm2_5i25.0.encoder.03.index-enable <=> motion.spindle-index-enable
I have also tried:
net spindle.index-enable hm2_5i25.0.encoder.03.index-enable <=> motion.spindle-index-enable

Both hang at the same point.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2016 02:17 by OT-CNC. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2016 02:59 - 19 Aug 2016 02:59 #79032 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Spinx1 to 7i85
Whats the state of motion.spindle-at-speed?
if its not true, motion will pause

BTW
net spindle-index-enable hm2_5i25.0.encoder.03.index-enable <=> motion.spindle-index-enable
and
net spindle.index-enable hm2_5i25.0.encoder.03.index-enable <=> motion.spindle-index-enable
and
net some-wierd-old-name hm2_5i25.0.encoder.03.index-enable <=> motion.spindle-index-enable

are identical (as long as the net name is only used in that line) That is, net names have no meaning
other than as a way of connecting pins together
Last edit: 19 Aug 2016 02:59 by PCW.

More
19 Aug 2016 23:49 #79107 by OT-CNC
This configuration I'm working with is based on vismach to do spindle orientation. I added net spindle-at-speed => motion.spindle-at-speed
I know it's not configured correctly. motion.spindle-at-speed is now true all the time and still hangs. Maybe I should re-do a standard spindle config to get threading and css to work then patch in the spindle orient that is currently working? Andy, is your vismach config working for tapping? I know it was originally intended for mill application and I'm trying it on a lathe.

More
20 Aug 2016 02:29 #79111 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Spinx1 to 7i85

Andy, is your vismach config working for tapping? I know it was originally intended for mill application and I'm trying it on a lathe.

The Vismach config is very much a visualisation and simulator config. I can imagine that much of it will be entirely wrong for real hardware, but I hope I put meaningful comments in the spindle.hal to explain the differences?

More
20 Aug 2016 14:42 #79132 by OT-CNC
I think the near component is missing in the velocity closed loop section? I see a near component in the position section.
Also, on the examples I see posted, many use only the A channel and an Index. I have a 2048 count encoder in quad mode, 8192 encoder scale. Do I need to re-set the mode to only read A? What is the max rpm that I can expect linuxcnc with mesa hardware to keep track of the rpm with my encoder? Do I need lower resolution on the spindle? Obviously for position low res would not be good.

More
20 Aug 2016 15:02 #79139 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Spinx1 to 7i85
If you are using a 7I85 or 7I85S, they use muxed encoder inputs
and are good to about 1-2 millions counts per second so 8192 counts
at say 8000 RPM is fine

More
20 Aug 2016 15:07 - 20 Aug 2016 15:09 #79140 by andypugh

I think the near component is missing in the velocity closed loop section? I see a near component in the position section.

If you want a spindle-at-speed signal then another "near" would be needed, but otherwise it isn't necessary.

Also, on the examples I see posted, many use only the A channel and an Index. I have a 2048 count encoder in quad mode, 8192 encoder scale. Do I need to re-set the mode to only read A?

If you want to do tapping you absolutely need the B channel too, so that the system can tell when the spindle has reversed.

What is the max rpm that I can expect linuxcnc with mesa hardware to keep track of the rpm with my encoder?.

With filter mode set to 1 it will take 15 33Mhz clock cycles to register a change, so max 32,000 rpm.
If you turn off the filter then it is 160,000 rpm. I don't think you need to worry about it :-)
[edit]Forgot about the muxed encoders
Last edit: 20 Aug 2016 15:09 by andypugh.

More
20 Aug 2016 15:20 #79143 by OT-CNC
Thank you for the responses. I will try to add the near component and see if it works.

More
22 Aug 2016 15:42 #79258 by OT-CNC
I installed the current 2.7.6 release and ran pncconf to create a new basic configuration. I got the spindle component to work. I'm just cutting air for now. Threading, rigid tap and css seems to work! It looks like the configurator has been improved since last I tried it as it created a working spindle with minimal hand editing.
I will try to take this config and add it to the previous to get the spindle orient t work. I'm sure I'll manage to mess it up at some point .

The only thing that didn't configure is the glade spindle rpm panel and at speed led. Anything obvious I need to check for that to display correctly?

More
22 Aug 2016 15:44 #79260 by andypugh
[quote="OT-CNC" post=79258The only thing that didn't configure is the glade spindle rpm panel and at speed led. Anything obvious I need to check for that to display correctly?[/quote]

Check the connections i custom_postgui.hal (and that the INI file specifies a POSTGUI_HALFILE)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds