Mesa 5i25 & 7i77 Problem

More
11 Dec 2017 14:12 #102903 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 5i25 & 7i77 Problem
You can use pncconf to create a working hal file for that board combination

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2017 12:55 #103072 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 5i25 & 7i77 Problem

I'm finally getting back on track with my LinuxCNC installation. While I'm trying to figure out why the latest ISO isn't capable of being successfully written to a a USB stick with dd (separate issue), I'm working on testing my hardware using an old version of LinuxCNC.

If you are using an old version of LinuxCNC then you probably need

addf hm2_5i25.0.pet_watchdog thread1

If the pet_watchdog function exists, then you need to explicitly add it to the thread.

More
13 Dec 2017 14:35 #103077 by DeckelHead
Replied by DeckelHead on topic Mesa 5i25 & 7i77 Problem
Fantastic. That would make sense. I started going through the documentation for HAL and I was assuming I needed to do something like that. I wasn't sure of the command's syntax yet, but I was hot on its trail. What didn't make sense was why the other gentleman didn't have this same problem; I had not considered that the pet was automated in later versions.

Which is a segue into my current state... Yes, I have a 3+ year old version of LinuxCNC presently installed (built around Ubuntu). I have every desire to update everything to the latest release, but I am not have much luck. I have a running thread on all sorts of problems with that in the installation forum group.

Thank you for the observation regarding the LinuxCNC age.

More
13 Dec 2017 17:23 #103086 by Todd Zuercher
You do know that you don't have to re-install the whole operating system just to upgrade the version of Linuxcnc. Linuxcnc can be upgraded to the current version (2.7) via the update manager, Synaptic, or Apt-get. All you need to do is change the Linuxcnc repository entry to the current one (and have an internet connection).

More
13 Dec 2017 18:12 - 13 Dec 2017 18:17 #103087 by DeckelHead
Hi Todd,
Yes, I am aware of that, but let me explain my logic there.... I have done little to the target machines Linux since I originally installed it (and LinuxCNC). As such, I thought it might be easier to take advantage of a completely new OS and LinuxCNC as I'm sure the OS is "old" too.

I am kind of rethinking that due to all the problems I am having getting the new version to boot on the target (thread: forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ezy-2-7-build-broken). However, I do note that when I finally could boot from my DVD within my T61p laptop, the new distro is Debian not Ubuntu. I have a little more experience with Ubuntu so if there are no fundamental reasons why I should update away from that distro, I might go down the path of preserving my existing system and manually update Ubuntu and LinuxCNC.

I might add that there is an underlying concern I have though too... While I was able to boot/install LinuxCNC about 3-4 years ago on my target MB, the fact that I can no longer do so worries me. The guys in the other thread seem to be implying that there might be a problem with the MB support. I find that surprising and I'm a little skeptical, but I have to defer to all of you because you clearly have more experience with LinuxCNC's peculiarities right now. But, if there *is* a problem with the MB support, then maybe updating LinuxCNC and the OS manually might not be a very good idea. Perhaps I should junk the MB. :( Of course, that is a worrisome prospect because if something worked and now it doesn't, we have a backwards compatibility problem.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2017 18:17 by DeckelHead.

More
13 Dec 2017 19:30 #103088 by Todd Zuercher
Hate to break the news but the Linuxcnc.iso has been stuck on the same Debian Wheezy OS version since 2014. So unless you are using the much older Ubuntu 10.04 version (or something even older) there is no point in trying to update the entire OS.

More
13 Dec 2017 21:13 #103091 by DeckelHead
I don't know what version of LinuxCNC I have on that particular box but my guess is that it is older than 2014. I had a long hiatus while I was dealing with a bunch of other stuff (including a not very fun job.... out of that now and doing robotics... far more interesting).

But, now you understand the motivation is just starting from scratch. :lol: And, it sounds like that is ultimately what I now need to pursue with vigor....

Is there any reason that you can think of why an older Ubuntu-based LinuxCNC would boot from the DVD while the Wheezy one would not? My gut feeling is that booting is far before any OS specific operation (we are, after all, just *booting* at that point!) so whether it is booting LinuxCNC, Windows, Ubuntu, Debian, Ret Hat, etc, is academic. Still, asking the question seems prudent.... Hmmm, extending that logic a bit, I'm not so sure why the other forum is so interested in a 2GB stick then too. Larger disks (like 16GB USB sticks) were definitely around back in 2013.

More
13 Dec 2017 22:21 #103092 by Todd Zuercher
The older one is just a CD not a DVD. Other than that I don't know of any.

More
13 Dec 2017 22:36 #103093 by DeckelHead
I puzzled over that one too, but I finally came to the same conclusion that I couldn't envision the difference having any significance.

More
13 Dec 2017 23:40 - 13 Dec 2017 23:50 #103095 by InMyDarkestHour
[quote="DeckelHead'
Is there any reason that you can think of why an older Ubuntu-based LinuxCNC would boot from the DVD while the Wheezy one would not? My gut feeling is that booting is far before any OS specific operation (we are, after all, just *booting* at that point!) so whether it is booting LinuxCNC, Windows, Ubuntu, Debian, Ret Hat, etc, is academic. Still, asking the question seems prudent.... Hmmm, extending that logic a bit, I'm not so sure why the other forum is so interested in a 2GB stick then too. Larger disks (like 16GB USB sticks) were definitely around back in 2013.[/quote]

Yes 16GB sticks have been around for a while, but it took a few years for the BIOS writers to catch up and get them booting.

I MADE NO SUGGESTION THE LINUXCNC WAS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR MB, JUST THE USB BOOT MEDIA

Please reread the thread and attend to the statement as it is a falsehood.
You also made mention that when trying to boot from the DVD at one stage your computer had an issue recognising the DVD drive until you removed the hard drive. A mention was made to sort the hardware issue prior to going further.

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LINUX OS the issue is with THE BIOS RECOGNISING AND BOOTING FROM 16GB USB STICKS. I thought I made this issue clear and even related an issue I had myself booting from a 16GB USB stick.

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-build-broken#102973

Most newer BIOS have no trouble recognising and booting from 16GB USB sticks. MB 4 or so years older do.
Generally 4GB USB sticks are a safe bet.

ONCE AGAIN IT IS NOT THE LINUX OS IT IS THE BIOS THAT IS THE ISSUE WITH 16GB USB STICKS

If you had an issue with the advice, I sincerely wished you had of told me early then I would not have wasted so much time, checking the iso, writing the usb stick, booting and the rest.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2017 23:50 by InMyDarkestHour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeckelHead

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds