Mesa 5i25/7i77 combo - errors and odd behavior?

More
28 Dec 2017 21:22 - 28 Dec 2017 21:28 #103802 by erikg
Hi, all;

I was milling a fairly long (45 minute) job today and suddenly my mill went a little nuts... it threw up some errors on the screen from the Mesa driver and started toggling some of its I/O ports... the drawbar in particular was running on and off in short bursts. Fortunately this happened while I had paused the program to add some coolant. Eventually LinuxCNC E-stopped itself due to what I presume was the watchdog not being petted.

The errors in the log (and on screen) were the same ones in dmesg, shown below:

Warning: Spoiler!

The one error I managed to read while trying to shut things down was the "undervoltage" one. I thought maybe my field bus power supply was going bad. However, it looks like it threw a random bunch of errors at me.

I tried shutting down, checked the card (it looked ok) checked connections (also ok) and did a cold boot, and the errors popped up again and things seemed to recover and keep working for a little while, until the mill stopped itself because none of the axes were getting commands from the Mesa card any more, and following errors tripped.

Anyone seen this happen other than me?

edit: Forgot to mention that when this happened my program was paused but the spindle was running full speed (60 hz - I use a wj200 VFD on the 5 HP spindle motor, but I don't have RPM control working). I've been using this 5i25/7i77 combo for a couple of years.

I'm attaching my config files and my full dmesg log below. I'm running 2.7.11 on a system originally installed from the live CD.

Thanks!

Erik

File Attachment:

File Name: config.tar.gz
File Size:9 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: err.txt
File Size:58 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Dec 2017 21:28 by erikg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2017 21:36 - 28 Dec 2017 22:23 #103803 by PCW
I dont think the sserial errors are meaningful ( every possible error bit is set - 0xFF error byte )

This suggests to me that either the PCI/PC interface has failed somehow (might try cleaning the card/slot)
or that the processor in the I/O section of the 7I77 has failed ( what is the 7I77s I/O section firmware version? )
Last edit: 28 Dec 2017 22:23 by PCW.

More
29 Dec 2017 02:06 #103808 by erikg
So... it seems that what happened was that my milling machine thought the Mesa card (and PC) were running a bit too hot in that closed cabinet, so it decided to share some refreshing flood coolant with them :dry:

Mesa cards apparently aren't compatible with direct immersion in Kool Mist.

Here's what the card looked like when I pulled it out:

I didn't have high hopes, but I gave it a bath in isopropyl (note: electrical contact cleaning spray doesn't seem to remove Kool Mist) and a careful blow dry. I installed it into a spare (older) PC to test, along with the hard drive from the old control PC.

Amazingly, the card behaved normally, and the mill ran with no errors (including following) when I re-ran the 45 minute program without any stock in the mill.

I don't think I'll trust the card long term - I've been meaning to order a 6i25 or a 7i92(M?) anyway, but it's nice that I don't have to interrupt my limited shop time to wait for hardware.

Now I just need to find the hole in the control cabinet.....
Attachments:

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds