Mesa UART doesnt work after update to linuxcnc2.8

More
07 Aug 2019 07:49 #141592 by rodw
Bit of a long shot but: Early in its life V 2.8 did not check for the ini file version and ask for an upgrade from V 2.7. I wonder if part of your problem is that your config was deemed to be an old version and "upgraded"?

If this has happened check the 2.8 docs about what is said about version and ensure the original version is manually updated to agree.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 04:03 #141652 by thang
I dont know how to use bisect to check yet. But i tried download master version to test with halrun, this time i just use mesa_uart,modify baudrate and dont touch anything else, bug still happenned. So i think this bug happen inside recently versions

More
12 Aug 2019 21:24 #142005 by andypugh
Are you using your own uart driver .comp? mesa_uart is a pretty low-level driver and does nothing without a HAL component hooked in to it.

Very few people use it, I was wondering if _anyone_ used it until you started this thread.
linuxcnc/src/hal/drivers/mesa-hostmot2/uart.c hasn't changed for years. Which version last worked for you?

There is a problem I vaguely remember with UART and SSERIAL disagreeing over an "instance stride". Is it possible that you also updated the board firmware at the same time? Which Mesa card are you using?

More
13 Aug 2019 00:24 #142012 by rodw
Also with UART enabling BIT file installed in your mesa cards, and you run linuxcnc from the command line. the RX and TX functions will report in on initialisation. If you can't see that in the terminal window, you may have inadvertently over written the Mesa firmware on upgrade.

And Andy, I want to use the UART but don't have one of the $4k plasma cutters to talk to to actually play with the UART.

More
13 Aug 2019 07:21 #142017 by thang

Are you using your own uart driver .comp? mesa_uart is a pretty low-level driver and does nothing without a HAL component hooked in to it.

Very few people use it, I was wondering if _anyone_ used it until you started this thread.
linuxcnc/src/hal/drivers/mesa-hostmot2/uart.c hasn't changed for years. Which version last worked for you?

There is a problem I vaguely remember with UART and SSERIAL disagreeing over an "instance stride". Is it possible that you also updated the board firmware at the same time? Which Mesa card are you using?

I tried use latest version 2.9, It's actually original version mesa_uart just modify baudrate (i did this because i think my component has problem but it's not).
I'm using Mesa_5i25. That time i used 2 Mesa cards 1 for UART, 2nd for SSERIAL.

More
13 Aug 2019 11:05 #142023 by andypugh
Can you check that your firmware still has UARTs?

[code}halrun
loadrt hostmot2
loadrt hm2_pci
exit
dmesg
[/code]

More
16 Aug 2019 09:47 #142311 by thang
My dmesg file:

File Attachment:

File Name: dmesg.txt
File Size:56 KB

My dmesg2 file for the source that is running ok:

File Attachment:

File Name: dmesg2.txt
File Size:56 KB
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2019 12:03 #142315 by andypugh
If you are using the uspace build (preempt-rt( then the useful messages don't appear in dmesg, they are found in the terminal output if you start LinuxCNC from the command line.

More
19 Aug 2019 09:45 #142480 by thang
Here is terminal informartion:

File Attachment:

File Name: halrun.txt
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

More
21 Aug 2019 12:24 #142716 by andypugh
I do plan to look at this, as soon as I manage to get some time at home between business trips (which have gone slightly mad lately)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds