Does this wiring layout look ok for a starting point?

More
07 Nov 2019 10:24 #149829 by andypugh
Just to point out, for DIN-mounting non-DIN devices, the SSR mounts are very way to find now, and are very cheap and very strong.

One random example from Amazon UK, but they are on eBay, Banggood, Aliexpress etc too.
www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Phase-Fixed-Moun...Screws/dp/B07X8PPVSV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2019 10:50 #149830 by rodw

Rod is the case closable with all the stuff on the door

lots of drivers is this double traction on x and y

Of course the door closes. Did I add too much? One of the major items on the door is the hardwired wireless 433 Mhz pendant which I would be lost without. One of my mates suggested to have seperate LED indicators on each power supply 5v, 24v , 48v and that has been handy troubleshooting when building it.

Yes the 7i76e supports 5 axes so I added the 5th driver for a future rotary axis because I had the driver available but I probably will never add it. But I did test the functionality.

More
07 Nov 2019 11:36 - 07 Nov 2019 11:39 #149836 by jools

You seem to have a lot of power supplies. I suppose you have them now, so might as well use them. but my milling machine has one 24V supply (ironically to rotary axis that I have since sold...) and then the 12V, 5V and 4V (for some Ikea LED lights) is all derived from the 24V by some little buck converters. These have LED voltage readouts, which is handy for troubleshooting.

I'm happy to drop the number of power supplies if that will help. I could use power bucks for the 5v as this only powers the MESA and the other one only powers the home switches. Would this be a better option?

3flat powersups in a row is not that good mount this brings in EMI for shure

and the twisted powerlines are a hell of a magnet on DC

As in the above would it be better to use power bucks?
Should I untwist the power lines? I've bought some copper tape and was going to shield them by warapping it around the twisted pairs and grounding to the ground plane?

Rod is the case closable with all the stuff on the door

lots of drivers is this double traction on x and y

Of course the door closes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[

quote="andypugh" post=149829]Just to point out, for DIN-mounting non-DIN devices, the SSR mounts are very way to find now, and are very cheap and very strong.

One random example from Amazon UK, but they are on eBay, Banggood, Aliexpress etc too.
www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Phase-Fixed-Moun...Screws/dp/B07X8PPVSV[/quote]

What's the benefit of DIN rails, is this needed or just the best way to do it?

Cheers for all the help so far guys.

Jools
Last edit: 07 Nov 2019 11:39 by jools.

More
07 Nov 2019 11:39 #149838 by andypugh

What's the benefit of DIN rails, is this needed or just the best way to do it?

Just convenience really. And if something breaks you can replace it with something else without having to drill holes to the new pattern.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jools

More
07 Nov 2019 11:51 #149839 by jools
Should I ditch 2 power supplies and go with power bucks?

More
07 Nov 2019 12:02 #149842 by andypugh

Should I ditch 2 power supplies and go with power bucks?

I see no reason to, unless you are short of space. Power quality from the individual supplies might be better.

More
07 Nov 2019 12:03 #149843 by jools

I made the same mistake you did with power supplies that are far too big (And in fact the 5 volt power supply is unecessary) BUt heck what you have will work!

Thanks Rod
The photo's have helped ease my mind a lot. I read the Linux CNC best wiring practices and was basically shitting myself that I had one big antenna! Looking at yours which (I assume) works well I see a lot of my fears were unfounded. I'll crack on with it and update when it's finished.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds