CNC Stepcraft 2 retrofit mesa + 3D printer stuff

More
26 Apr 2020 22:09 - 27 Apr 2020 01:00 #165706 by alkabal
Hi

Well i have a lot of questions

I'm sure this machine is not perfect but i like the idea to share a all in one solution with big surface for mill mostly aluminium/wood and use as big 3D printer

I check for stepcraft 2 D series CNC + 3D printer adapter

I dislike to order the USB version with UcCNC but i think this is better for use the 3D printer easily.
The manufacturer allow to order a internal parallel port adapter for replace the usb interface.

What did you think :
-order machine from other manufacturer ?
-pay 200e more and use Uccnc for 3D printer, so use the machine immeditly and do the retrofit later because not easy to use as 3D printer with Linuxcnc ?
-do not use Linuxcnc for 3d printer ?

For retrofit :
-use parallel port adapter + mesa 7i92M (or other ?)
-use other mesa card like 7i76e or 7i96 and remove all the stepcraft electronic ? (i have finally thinked : need to add external driver and the performance kit include some special encoder for Y axis so is really more simple to keep the internal board and use parallel port

Or do not order this machine and find other better product ?

For reference :
www.stepcraft-systems.com/images/SC-Serv...ructions-PH40_v2.pdf

At the end "only" step/dir and relay + pwm for fan need to be configured from parallel port so linuxcnc need to be configured correctly for the extruder motor amount quantity, the temp for bed and extruder are set directly on the dedicated controler.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2020 01:00 by alkabal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2020 11:08 #165795 by bbsr_5a
HI
first 3Dprinter 300mm/sec
ALU 100mm/min
THIS IS 2 Machine types BAD idee to combine

what about not to order a redy made machine
building on a standard kit Ballscrew 1meter by 800mm by 220mm HGH Rails at 220USD
or as you want a printer
Ballscrew and HGH is not the best
SBR16 to be the choce at 180USD
Stepper Kit 4Nm Parport 36V 150USD

and a Drill to mount it on plywood MDF

More
27 Apr 2020 16:13 #165844 by Mike_Eitel
I do like linuxcnc. It is phantastic well supported.
But for 3D-printers i only use marlin sw. With the latest 32bit processors you get what you need with lots of 3d-printer addons. F.x. Autocalibration, autotune of temp....

More
28 Apr 2020 21:00 - 28 Apr 2020 21:09 #166010 by alkabal
Hi

Thanks for reply

I know the speed is lower with a cnc machine but it's mostly for hobby and i think is better for me to have a big versatile machine for all in one.

In fact i have ordered a stepcraft 3d print head (used good price) this is a standalone unit for management temperature, only stepper (buil in driver) need to be controler by external system + pwm fan + on/off, i think this is something ready for start printing with cnc.

For first job test i plan to use my isel ep1090 (charlyrobot) mill with smoothieboard so i have a good starting point for investigation. (something like 280*210x80mm) and i can change my opinion after some test

Idon't really need a big printer ready to work all days but i have some project that need something like 400x600x40mm so i really like to have the possibility to print very big parts with a new machine and at the same time i like to have a better mill for aluminium/plastic/wood

Sometime i try to change my opinion and ordere a simple 3d printer but my brain is terrible, worspace is limited and the only one printer i like is wanhao (500*500 a little small lol) is near 50% of the price for have a more usefull (for me) mill

actually i check other possibilty like : (other similar product with pulley and belt exist but not enough for CNC ?)
fr.aliexpress.com/item/32969124551.html?...023.9.4f434d90CV2pTY

or something like this (more X that Y is something really interesting !)
fr.aliexpress.com/item/32861657024.html?...69568-01081-DKYS8X48

Br
Last edit: 28 Apr 2020 21:09 by alkabal.

More
28 Apr 2020 21:11 #166012 by tommylight
You should really check the acceleration used in 3D printers, i doubt you can achieve anything near that with a normal router.
3D printers are built around the nozzle and how much material can that nozzle push out at any given time, so any slow downs on corners will ruin your print, hence everything moving needs to be as light as possible.
Then again, if you do not try it you will never know, so please do try it and report back how it goes.

More
28 Apr 2020 21:50 #166015 by alkabal
You are right and this is the reason for ordering this standalone printer head (without machine) with 43mm mount like the isel kress mount so this is somethink like plug and play, only the extruder stepper need to be tweaked.

So at the end if you think like me : for printing a very few amount of parts this is not a fully bad idea ('i hope) and imo a router is really most wanted

something i have not says is : my wife like to have a 3D printer and in this way she is ok for a big mixed machine ^^ (and i try to deal with that lol)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Apr 2020 22:11 #166016 by tommylight
I never said it is a bad idea, it is not.
It is a very good idea since even if it does not work as you like it, you can make a good 3D printer for about 200$ in parts and a lot of time.
Oh, your gona be fighting with your wife about who gets to use the machine ! :)
That is also a very good idea.

More
28 Apr 2020 22:44 #166023 by alkabal
:rire:

i know her lol after 3 time she never use anymore, or if this is not easy as she want i can order a printer for familly later :baiser:

The RXS-100 rail and FSL60 have some specs attached
Attachments:

More
28 Apr 2020 22:49 #166025 by tommylight

The RXS-100 rail and FSL60 have some specs attached

That would also do nicely for a plasma cutter. Prices ?

More
28 Apr 2020 22:56 - 28 Apr 2020 22:56 #166026 by alkabal
price is somethink like 500 to 1000 euro depending on the length

RXS-80 is little cheaper

and exist some similar model with belt and pulley less exepnssive, more fast but less rigid

fr.aliexpress.com/item/32848664402.html?...02_,searchweb201603_

I'm fully inexperimented for material selection
Last edit: 28 Apr 2020 22:56 by alkabal.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds