Help wanted: MESA board selection, parallel vs ethernet and THCAD understanding.

More
12 May 2022 16:10 #242802 by robertspark
Here is 1 option too.... which could be added to the second port.

eusurplus.com/index.php?route=product/pr..._61_60&product_id=54

more expensive than a 7i92 but offering 4x ports (that is 4x17 I/O's!):
eusurplus.com/index.php?route=product/pr...62_71&product_id=101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2022 16:11 #242803 by robertspark
The mesa firmware is VERY adaptable and easy to change to your setup (need to finish off my thread on that!)

More
12 May 2022 16:17 #242804 by tommylight
You can add encoders to the setup Roebert pointed to, a 7i85 i think, but not sure.
Be aware that might not be the exact card, it should be a 4 encoder card and maybe there are other cards that can be added for encoder feedback that can be added to 7i92/7i76 combo. Also there are two types of 7i85, but i never had them so i do not know what or how exactly.
-
Encoders can be also wired to Mesa 7i92 inputs on the spare header, but not advisable as those inputs are very sensitive, so care must taken for shielding and grounding.
I use those inputs on Plasma cutters, by far the worst environment for them and they work perfectly, used as encoder counter for THCAD.

More
12 May 2022 17:12 #242808 by robertspark

-
Encoders can be also wired to Mesa 7i92 inputs on the spare header, but not advisable as those inputs are very sensitive, so care must taken for shielding and grounding.
I use those inputs on Plasma cutters, by far the worst environment for them and they work perfectly, used as encoder counter for THCAD.

Yes, I have had made (I did the pcb design + got it shipped from china with SMT components fully assembled) an interface board using 3x 74HC04D chips.  it uses the standard LPT config (pins 10,11,12,13 and 15 input, all others output).

I have thought about getting a few more made as all input and all output options and offering them for sale.
(I am also thinking about offering pre-configured linuxcnc PCs for sale with ethernet ports set up for plug and play operation with mesa cards .... if someone gives me their setup..... not sure if they will fly though).

More
12 May 2022 23:16 #242823 by tommylight
Oh cr@p, now have to burst your bubbles! :)
Pretty sure i have seen something with DB25 port on both sides on Mesa website a while back, except having "isolation" in the name i am blank on other info, so there might still be hope for you.
Preconfigured PC's, especially with tailor made and tested configs are a very nice idea for USA due to very functional logistics, in Europe is also good but nothing is "next day delivery" and the demand is lower.
Still, i would give this a run, PC's are cheap, no expiration date, etc, if only i lived somewhere in the civilized world! But wait, i can move to USA whenever i want .... oh well, i will blame this on my parents ! :)
BTW, BigJT of www.mesaus.com fame used to offer preinstalled hard drives.

More
13 May 2022 00:08 #242832 by robertspark
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 May 2022 00:21 #242836 by PCW
That is a a very specific isolator for a 7I77
(so all the isolator directions match a 7I77)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 May 2022 09:34 #242863 by robertspark
Thanks Peter,

I had not looked into its purpose / details it was just when Tommy mentioned Mesa + isolation, that item sprang to mind as it was something I'd seen in passing.

The board I made was just an I/O interface to act as a buffer / input voltage clamp (and signal inverter) using 3x 74HC04 chips for the 17 i/o. very simple board, and an led on each input or output to confirm visual signal status. It was mainly to provide PWM interface with a laser diode, + 2x SPINX1 boards and a superpid in a neat interface, with a second encoder input for the superpid index. (I am sharing a 7i76e between a router mill and plasma cutter as 1 control box with shared drives, and a different config for each setup with connectors going into each device using a common wiring arrangement of connectors). In a 'perfect' world, I'd set each device up on it's own, but it's just a hobby for me, and its all in 1 oversize garage.

I may split stuff out over time into its own control boxes, now I've got a 7i92+7i76 (for the lathe), and a 7i98 for a bench device. now I've got into the firmware and see the flexibility of mesa hardware, things with linuxcnc are starting to click.

More
13 May 2022 10:05 #242864 by robertspark
I nearly bought a 7i75 (as they are not very expensive), but thought I'd get back into designing my own PCB's and getting them manufactured (I've dabbled, started in electronics (hardware) 25 years ago) eusurplus.com/index.php?route=product/pr..._61_60&product_id=98

I thought that the 8mA per output channel was a bit low, and went with the 74HC04D with up to +/- 20mA per channel, 500mW. I wouldn't expect to be using that, it's just a nice buffer.

my circuit would NOT provide 10mhz per input channel.... but I'm just using it as an index input for a superPID (up to 30,000rpm / 500pps (Hz)). So it'll do for my needs.

anyone interested in designing PCB's and getting them manufactured, I'd suggest having a go themselves (its another tool + something to learn + understand)
easyeda.com/
jlcpcb.com/parts
jlcpcb.com/

Sorry, bit off topic.... but maybe its useful to someone.
I am 100% certain that no business is at risk of me dabbling (I have a full time job and this is just a hobby not a need, necessity or desire).
Sure you may get it wrong... but an education costs money and a good education costs good money!
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
13 May 2022 10:44 #242868 by tommylight

.... but an education costs money and a good education costs good money!

The "youtube" generation does not understand this! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds