Galil DMC-17x0

More
23 Dec 2023 01:37 #288857 by JamesHoward
Galil DMC-17x0 was created by JamesHoward
Hey all,

I have a Galil DMC-1780 and DMC-1740. I am hoping to interface one of them with my Morbidelli Author 503. I have stripped alot of the crap that I wont use off of the machine. I am hoping that someone out there has made a driver for LINUXCNC that works with these cards. Or can tell me without a doubt that it won't work! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2023 01:46 #288858 by JamesHoward
Replied by JamesHoward on topic Galil DMC-17x0
just to add in.... I do have the card working under Windows XP I am able to use Galil WSDK to tune all of the servos and program the cards. My question more so relates to: How do I get LINUXCNC to send terminal commands to the cards.....?

More
23 Dec 2023 10:12 #288881 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Galil DMC-17x0
What commands do the drives need, over what interface and protocol?

More
23 Dec 2023 16:50 - 23 Dec 2023 16:53 #288928 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Galil DMC-17x0

I am hoping that someone out there has made a driver for LINUXCNC that works with these cards.

As far as I'm aware, the Galil devices ARE already motion controllers on their own right. LinuxCNC is an ALTERNATIVE motion controller that runs on a PC. In this sense it would be EITHER Galil OR Linuxcnc with a hardware interface board (most likely pico or mesa boards).

[edit]

To figure out which interface board might suit your machine you would need to tell us what the motor drives are controlled with (eg step/dir, analog, serial) and also whether the position feedback is handled by the drives or needs to be handled by the controller.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2023 16:53 by Aciera.

More
23 Dec 2023 16:58 - 23 Dec 2023 16:59 #288930 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Galil DMC-17x0
There used to be a Galil plugin for mach3. Not sure what the status of mach3 software is though.
www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/GalilPlugIn.pdf
Last edit: 23 Dec 2023 16:59 by Aciera.

More
23 Dec 2023 21:05 #288946 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Galil DMC-17x0

There used to be a Galil plugin for mach3. Not sure what the status of mach3 software is though.
www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/GalilPlugIn.pdf

I think galil now use mach4

More
23 Dec 2023 23:37 - 23 Dec 2023 23:53 #288953 by JamesHoward
Hey guys, thanks for your responses.
So as for the galil being a motion controller... Yes, it is! But Galil supplies no GUI for it, and it does not accept g-code.

As for Mach, I am currently using one of the cards with mach 3 and it does work.... but mach 3 is only good for 4 axis.... The one card is 8 axis.... Not that I need 8 axes. But 6 would be nice! I will probably continue to use the 1740 card with mach (until i fall in love with linuxcnc (which i know will happen))

My drives are all analog +-10v

The drives do control the encoders. but they include an output to feed into my master controller (the galil)

To figure out which interface board might suit your machine you would need to tell us what the motor drives are controlled with (eg step/dir, analog, serial) and also whether the position feedback is handled by the drives or needs to be handled by the controller.

I dont need an interface board. what i need is for linuxcnc to communicate via an ISA bus to tell the Galil where it is going next. 

I have included the manual for the Galil. Please remember that it is a 17x0 not an 18x0!

I have also included the command reference. 

Galil has an available API as well. I just do not know how to program that well.... I will include it as well.
There are other files available as well, this is just what I thought was most suitable.

As far as remember that a long while back there was support for galil in linuxcnc....

I know that there are drivers available for linux on galils website. Redhat, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, Rocky, & RPi.

Thanks All!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Dec 2023 23:53 by JamesHoward.

More
24 Dec 2023 00:03 #288954 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Galil DMC-17x0

I dont need an interface board. what i need is for linuxcnc to connumicate via an ISA bus to tell the Galil where it is going next. 

ISA bus = very, very old, i think i have some of those collecting dust somewhere, although i never looked what make/model as they are ISA...Have some PCI also collecting dust.
I am not aware of anything regarding LinuxCNC for ISA bus (might be, though), so short of writing a driver for it (no idea how hard it is but from what i read on this forum not very hard), it is a no go.
So in short, yes you do need an interface board, a Mesa 7i97 would be nice if you can find it, but if you can not, then a 7i92T or 7i96S with a 7i77 will do the same for 5 axis plus spindle (spindle can be used as servo, so 6 axis).

More
24 Dec 2023 00:07 #288955 by JamesHoward
But I have these galil boards and they work! Really well!

More
24 Dec 2023 00:09 - 24 Dec 2023 01:09 #288956 by JamesHoward

so short of writing a driver for it (no idea how hard it is but from what i read on this forum not very hard)

Maybe this is what I need, I just have a really hard time with software coding....

Also I have found some old forums that say ISA cards are easier in interface with than pci. 
EMC used to have support for everything ISA
LINUXCNC supports ISA cards, just not this one....
Last edit: 24 Dec 2023 01:09 by JamesHoward.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds