5 Axis Stepper board on ebay

More
11 Apr 2011 18:26 - 11 Apr 2011 18:34 #8773 by bvandiepenbos
I am not having much luck getting this chinese board working. :(
(TB6560 4 Axis CNC Driver Board)
docs are not clear and seem to conflict each other. Docs are also geared towards Mach.

each axis uses (3) PP input pins; X step, X dir, X empower.
what the heck is empower mean? ...what choice do I select in stepconf?

What timings should I use in Stepconf? ...it does not list this board.

The motor hookup is 4 wire, my motors are 6... can I just not connect the 2 center tap wires?

Thanks.
~*Brian

here is link to board cgi.ebay.com/TB6560-4-Axis-CNC-Motor-Ste...&hash=item25621ff31a
Last edit: 11 Apr 2011 18:34 by bvandiepenbos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2011 19:56 #8775 by BigJohnT
I would assume "empower" is Chinese for "enable".

Check the wiki as well for more timing information. Or just start high and go from there.

I believe there some wiring info for steppers on the wiki.

Look in the Configuring EMC2 - how to make it fit your needs section.

John

More
11 Apr 2011 20:10 #8776 by andypugh
bvandiepenbos wrote:

, X empower.
what the heck is empower mean? ...what choice do I select in stepconf?

That is probably labelled "Amp Enable" in Stepconf (possibly just "enable"). If you run out of pins later on you can rewire the cable to enable them all on one pin (probably) as EMC2 always puts all the enable pins on together. However, for the time being just keep it simple and define them as the respective amp-enable pins. Note that they might be active-low (check the datasheet) in which case you will need to invert them in stepconf.

What timings should I use in Stepconf? ...it does not list this board.

www.farnell.com/datasheets/75168.pdf
Seems to indicate a minimum step time of 100nS and clock frequency of 15kHz (so that would be a space of 60,000nS..)
I would say that there is no harm in choosing 1000nS for step and the same for space, but limit the axis speed to that max step frequency is 15kHz.

The motor hookup is 4 wire, my motors are 6... can I just not connect the 2 center tap wires?

Yes, that is exactly what you should do. (Actually you should insulate the wires and put them out of the way somewhere, as shorting them to ground is likely to blow up the drivers)

More
11 Apr 2011 20:54 #8777 by paul11
Hi,
I set up one of those boards, although it only lasted about five hours. I will try to help, amplifier enable in the step config pin setup is the enable +5 volt signal. The timing will work without changing, but it took me alot of trial and error to come up with a lower number, although everything I tried seemed to work. the jumpers on the board for the decay rate only worked in one position, I think it was 75% (that was for my motors) the amp jumper should be set for your motors.

I didn't have to invert the amp enable pin, it was very hard to come up with settings that didn't lose steps.but it is possible. and it worked fine but not for very long lol

this is just my experience. I'm not an expert

More
11 Apr 2011 22:02 #8778 by bvandiepenbos
Hello Paul,
thanks for your input!
Did your board have a fan on the finned heat sink?

~*Brian

More
11 Apr 2011 22:07 #8779 by bvandiepenbos
Hi Andy, thanks for your info.
So, for all 4 pins I select 'Amplifier enable" in Stefconf ?

does active low mean output signal on that pin is +5v or what?

I will try timing settings tonight and report results. thanks for giving me some starting point.

~*Brian

More
11 Apr 2011 22:08 #8780 by bvandiepenbos
Thanks John,
I will take a look.
~*Brian

More
11 Apr 2011 22:29 #8781 by andypugh
"active low" means that EMC2 has to drive the p-port pin low (0V) to activate the drive.
Mine are configured that way, the inputs are opto-isolated, 5V from the +5V rail goes to the high side of the opto and the low side is connected to the p-port pin. Setting the p-port pin to 0V allows current to flow through the opto, turning it on, and enabling the drive.

Your drives could work that way, or the other way….

More
12 Apr 2011 02:23 #8785 by bvandiepenbos
Andy,
I selected "amplifier enable" in Stepconf for pins 4, 5, 17 and did not invert.... ALL motors on now and can move them!!
Although motors get pretty warm. The driver board is not getting warm at all.
I have the current setting at 75%
I can only get feed to F150 before it loses steps, I need to 'tune' it to get more speed, suggestions?
This is for a winch bipod hot wire machine.

used 1000ns timing for all ( Step Time, Step Space, Direction Hold, and Direction Seup)
I noticed some of the pre-sets have different values in these 4 parameters...
What does each do?

My board has a "Decay Mode" setting...
choices are; Fast, 25%, 50%, or Slow
what does this do?

Thanks
~*Brian

More
12 Apr 2011 09:37 #8791 by andypugh
bvandiepenbos wrote:

Although motors get pretty warm. The driver board is not getting warm at all.

The motors will get warm, especially when not moving. They are designed to run at up to 90C (200F) , so don't worry until then. You could put temperature sensing stickers on the motors to check.

I have the current setting at 75%

Was that a guess, or based on the motor specification and the driver?

I can only get feed to F150 before it loses steps, I need to 'tune' it to get more speed, suggestions?

What voltage are you running at? The only way to get more speed is to run at a higher voltage, the highest that the drives can handle. (minus a bit of overhead, perhaps). The drives handle the current flow through the motors, so the motor rated voltage is irrelevant.

[quoteused 1000ns timing for all ( Step Time, Step Space, Direction Hold, and Direction Seup)
I noticed some of the pre-sets have different values in these 4 parameters...
What does each do?[/quote]Step Time is the time that the step pin is held high to signal a step, and step space is how long it is held low between steps. Direction setup and direction hold are related to the time that the direction pin needs to be held at a new value before steps can be sent to the drive with an expectation that the new direction will be acted on.

My board has a "Decay Mode" setting...
choices are; Fast, 25%, 50%, or Slow
what does this do?

I am not sure, but I saw that the datasheet went into the subject in some depth.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds