Hardinge Superslant retrofit

More
10 Oct 2012 18:41 #25218 by BigJohnT
It would be best to start a new thread instead of hijacking a thread.

I converted my CHNC in a few weeks after giving up on the general numatics controller.

gnipsel.com/shop/hardinge/hardinge.xhtml

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2012 21:34 #25225 by andypugh
munchkin82677 wrote:

The machine I want to convert needs to be done in 4 weeks at longest. Is this crazy for a newbie to attempt in such short order?

Yes, it is crazy.

I would suggest starting with something else (maybe one of the small kit routers from eBay) and getting somewhat up to speed first.

The advice _might_ be different if you mean 4 weeks full time, rather than 4 weeks spare-time.

More
16 Oct 2012 16:48 #25380 by munchkin82677
Sorry John, I didn't mean to hijack. I just got beyond excited seeing there is hope for me to not have to sit for hours staring at boards trying to fix them. Back to robs question. We have one of each. Both do not work. And yes I think I have every technical doc possible I might even have the ladder logic info . We bought it AS RUNNING and it didn't work after shipping across the country. I would be so happy just to see either of these machines turn or drill for that matter I would run around screaming for joy! Now I really just wanted to know what kind back ground you had to complete such a project so rapidly. Are you a tech from a previous life maybe??? After hours pouring over stuff I really just have one logical question. Are you using the original siemens spindle controller and original spindle motor?

Oh sorry I'm Keith btw. Nice to meet you all!

More
16 Oct 2012 20:12 #25383 by BigJohnT
Hi Kieth,

I'm using the original drives and servos on my CHCN. Why don't we start a new thread and discuss your machines.

John

More
17 Oct 2012 13:26 #25404 by robh
hi Keith

about this build

i stuck with the DC spindle motor and drive (siemens as u say) as there is little wrong with them as plenty of power and fast response stopping etc
if the drive did fall over i think i might just grab a new DC drive for it in truth. control techniques or something i guess

Axis
one CHNC shown on page 1, stil has the stock Siemens as it was the first superslant i did, and at the time we talked about putting new AC motors on it but we just needed it back up and running as both machines where out of action at the time from the PSU issue
Siemens they are ok, but not grate and are on there last legs, the brush housing are warn which gives problems plus the drives them self's are abit on there last legs too. and pricy to fix most of the time.

the Green superslant on this thread or a new one we fitted new AC motors and drives fitted, 1KW units and 1:1 gearing not the stock 2:1 so now does 10m/min rapids not 5m
not much in the machining time tho when you keep tings close to the spindle tooling wise. but runs alot smoother with ACs soon i will update the other machine to AC motors also

if changing motors the trick is finding a motor that will fit on the X slide on the top, i had to mount it facing up,, not like stock motor facing down .. even then it was close on the guard ill get motor dimensions for you later might help you

as for my background,
yes i had studied electronics in education but also i had fixed the boards in these and other machines many times so had a good background in the working and understanding of the machine and how things worked before i started
so if u can follow a wiring diagram and understand what is what and how to wire to it you will be fine i would say.

plus u have the benefit someone has already done it and knows what is what :)

also i had done our VMC Leadwell 550 before which was probably worse than the superslant as i had very little wiring diagrams and no interface info for the drives (mirsubishi) as they did not help at all..

all my machines where done on a as time permitted while doing other things in the workshop as we are a CNC machine shop, probly spent afew hours aday on it, longest job on the superslant is the rewire i did on the 25pin sockets to interface to it some what nicely. try make it abit more plug and play... depends what you try and do with all the mass of cables in the control cabinet

rob

More
17 Oct 2012 16:37 #25405 by andypugh
robh wrote:

i stuck with the DC spindle motor and drive (siemens as u say) as there is little wrong with them as plenty of power and fast response stopping etc

I know a guy semi-locally with an HXL and he found that the brake in his motor was brown asbestos.
This is almost certainly nothing to worry about in use, but you probably want to take some precautions before dismantling it, if you ever need to.

He didn't, and has a wooly jumper he is no longer happy to wear.

More
24 Oct 2012 20:59 #25777 by robh
there is no brake in the DC motors but on the front of it that grabs a big flat plate behind the pullys.

this is hydrolic operated and has rubber pads
CHNC is the same

not sure of the one in HNC tho
but yes when u get tthat age machine something to watch out for

its like before 1980s they liked to use asbestos in form of aslide way material called
Ferrobestos before we all went to Turcite

More
24 Oct 2012 22:56 #25782 by BigJohnT
My CHNC has a pneumatic cylinder to release the disk break.

John

More
25 Oct 2012 00:05 #25783 by Kirk_Wallace
In case it might help, my HNC brake is shown at the top of this page:
www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_lathe/HNC/

The original was a Warner electric release brake. Without power, the brake is On. To release the brake, power is applied. The Warner brake shown next to the air conditioning pump is one I found on eBay. It is larger than the original , but I figure it should work well enough.

--
Kirk Wallace
www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html
California, USA

More
25 Jan 2013 16:45 #29126 by zoni
Replied by zoni on topic Hardinge Superslant retrofit
Can u please tell me what hardware u used I am interested in retrofitting a silat machine and also what kind of precession do u get

Thanks

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds