More
25 Jan 2013 18:02 #29127 by robh
Replied by robh on topic Hardinge Superslant retrofit
hi,
all Mesa hardware for IOs and Servos
www.mesanet.com/
was a 5i20
1x 7I33
2x 7I37 which gave just enough I/Os think i have 1 in and 1 out spare which i have now used for the barfeed requests.

if was doing it anew i would look at the Serial boards
7I44 with some cards to plug into it for I/O
no encoder board on serial yet i know off so have to go with a 7i33 unless you have a 4 axes lathe?

not sure what u mean by
"precession do u get"
but machine works as is as we have extra axes things was more tricky not sure what you are fitting to...

rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2013 02:00 #31465 by jlviloria
Rob

I have a question about ESTUN servomotors. I am very interested to see your video where you clarify that you changed your old siemens servomotors. by ESTUN servomotors.

I am interested in servomotors with the following capabilities:
torque
quantity = 1 of 11Nm
quantity = 1 of 23 Nm
quantity = 1 of 33 Nm

These servomotors are available in ESTUN and more or less what would be the price?

thanks

Jorge Viloria

More
28 Jan 2014 12:22 #43262 by metalmover
I guess Im a bit of a fan of your work here (probably watched your you tube video a hundred times). I have a small shop in Riverside, California, and I own 2 Hardinge Superslants...one is a 2-axis is tailstock....the other is a 3 axis exactly like yours.

When the machines were bought little over a year ago....one was sold as "almost working" and the other was a parts machine....I was very lucky and was able to get them running for little more than patience and elbow grease.....however...the 6t control and the resolver timing issues (alarm 404 and 424) drive me crazy at times.

I am considering a retro fit same as yours.....my spindles are in great shape and I actually do like the machines a lot.......just need a updated control/motor Id say....the iron is good...the machines make good parts.

do you have more pix of the cabinet insides......especially after your build to see what you did (understand I am asking quite sometime after your post)

Heck.........are they still running???? all these years later.

how did you setup to 2-turret machine.....as tools 1-16 (1-8 on turret 1 and 9-16 on turret 2)...or did you make 2 separate turrets with tools 1-8

again....thanks for what info you do have up concerning hardinge superslants and your retrofit....I hope to be comfortable soon with upgrades and the Linux CNC system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robh

More
30 Jan 2014 06:24 #43314 by robh
hi there,...

thanks glad u liked it, funny to see these things still get sold even today as such.
if only they made them as good as then still id prob by a new hardinge. anyways

they still work, i use them every day both turn out parts every day pritty much so they dont get much time off. turning a wide range of materials.
same with the CHNC

i will get some pics of the inside no problem they got done in abit of a hurry so not very clean or properly finished inside we should say as needed to get making bits again.. but the hardinge manual has alot of info on wiring and what does what. has some good info on the pin outs also for interfacing the I/Os its what i used. i did quite abit of resoldering on the plugs where all the 25pin plugs plug in, on the control cabnet.

also got rid of quite afew as you can guess. both superslants no longer have the old Siemens motors on them they drove me crazy and where on there last legs abit the motors.

i put new ball screw bearings on the ball screw ends also, set of 2x each end... but they are odd metric OD imperial ID makes them abit pricy, i cant rember the number or size of top of my head. can find out if you like.

one of them has now had a brand new X screw also, class 3 screw and nut. i changed that to metric bearings... now the X is realy quite and smooth like new now... X axis do get some wear.

as for toolings, i have 1-8 on top, 20-28 on the bottom have to use turrets independent of each other but find its no real issue for what we do, we did not use them together much with the 6T as bottom is drilling only also.

i have since picked up a 4axis with power tooling version which is waiting for my TLC this will get a full overhaul while converting it will get C axis also plus afew other mods.

rob

More
31 Jan 2014 23:27 - 01 Feb 2014 02:24 #43373 by metalmover
Thanks Rob....BTW...my name is Rob too.

Id be so grateful for any more pix you do got for sure!......amps, motors, mountings, ball screws (if not too much trouble)....Id be so grateful :)

since you worked with the existing machine wiring (12v stuff).....does the machine keep the same startup ladder chain that it originally did from Hardinge?

I've got the 2 lathes, the 2 axis had an issue when I tried to push e-stop reset.....nothing happened other than a little blast of air (hydraulics will not start up). Because of this, I had started the tear down on that machine (since I had the other). Last night I told the wife I was putting the 3-axis up for sale while it is working....LOL....I come into the shop today, get the camera to film it...and now I have the same problem with it...LOL!

Here's a few pix of my superslants....in pretty good shape....and my paintball marker I am making with them.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
Last edit: 01 Feb 2014 02:24 by metalmover.

More
01 Feb 2014 17:18 #43394 by robh
hi

not much on estop so if the control has no errors on screen its probably just a overload not in .. so give them a push on rest tabs
or a drive is not up properly.

should have a diagram of the estop in your books if you have any with the machine?

come find me on IRC probly easyer.
rob_h is my name there, i am in the UK but leave me a message ill get back when around.

yes kept all stuff on 24v and 12v, turrets work on 12v valves and encoder
while other stuff is 24v outside the turrets

More
07 Feb 2014 10:59 #43618 by metalmover
thanks Rob....Ill hit ya up there soon

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds