G540 + EMC2 = missing steps

More
30 Jan 2010 00:56 #1690 by biqut2
I've got emc2 running on a dell desktop controlling a gantry router. Everything seems to be working fine when jogging and testing the motors with stepconf program. But then when actually running a cutting a workpiece I randomly loose steps. I have thoroughly tested my latency times and they are well within the range specified in the manual. Where else should I be looking for here? any help is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2010 11:29 #1692 by Rick G
Hello,

Have you tried setting the spindle up high and with the spindle off cutting the part in just air?
Do you get the same results?
If not you might look for mechanical or noise problems.
Also try reducing your speeds both rapid and cutting.

Rick G

More
30 Jan 2010 13:49 - 01 Feb 2010 12:31 #1694 by biqut2
Sorry forgot to mention, It has the same random loss cutting air as it does cutting the stock material.That was my first instinct after checking for software issues. Maybe it just in my head but the only explanition ive been able to come up is that when i have more than one axis at a time moving it messes up. One thing that did come to me last night after reading through manual again is maybe adjusting the stepping delays to about double the spec outlined by gecko (The minimum logic "0" time is 0.5 uS and the minimum logic "1" time is 4.5 uS) and see if this makes a difference. Am I on to something here or does this sound like a waste of time. I just figure if there is static/noise somewhere in the controll lines holding the step/direction pulse high/low longer should help. As a side note if I slow the machine down to say anything below 15 ipm or up above 90 ipm the errors are more frequent, there seems to be a sweet spot around 45-60 ipm. Dont know what accounts for this but it may be a key to the solution.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 12:31 by BigJohnT. Reason: fix magic quotes problem

More
01 Feb 2010 12:27 - 01 Feb 2010 12:32 #1723 by BigJohnT
biqut,

You have a character in your post that is not a standard English character and that is the reason your post won't show up. I found the problem with your quotes. I assume you copied and pasted that line from another file.

John
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 12:32 by BigJohnT.

More
01 Feb 2010 13:39 #1724 by biqut2
BigJohnT wrote:

biqut,

You have a character in your post that is not a standard English character and that is the reason your post won't show up. I found the problem with your quotes. I assume you copied and pasted that line from another file.

John

Ah thank you, couldnt figure out what was wrong cause preview worked fine.

More
05 Apr 2011 13:54 #8566 by Robin
hello,

is this issue solved?

I do have exactly the same.

Mostly on circular interpolation it goes wrong and loses random steps.

sometimes very much sometimes just 1

Kind regards Robin

More
24 Mar 2014 02:15 #45163 by Fredasiong

Hello,

Have you tried setting the spindle up high and with the spindle off cutting the part in just air?
Do you get the same results?
If not you might look for mechanical or noise problems.
Also try reducing your speeds both rapid and cutting.

Rick G

Rick,

Help Please. Having problem especially with circles. See attached photo. Thanks
Attachments:

More
24 Mar 2014 03:07 #45165 by ArcEye
Are you using cutter offsets and removing before retraction, would look similar :laugh:
regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fredasiong

More
26 Mar 2014 08:45 #45266 by Fredasiong
Arceye,

No.

My parameters;

1/16 end mill
cut2d prog.
K2cnc machine

This are cuts of circle and eclipse with no tabs. The bigger the diameter the more emphasis on the notch and is happening at the start of the cut. I have played with the velocity and accel no luck.

Thanks

More
26 Mar 2014 14:35 #45269 by ArcEye
Hi

Can you attach some code (complete) that is doing this.

I presume the code is generated, seems unlikely that losing steps is going to cause the cutter to go outside the radius of a circle, especially at the start of the run.

This does look just like what would happen if you only applied cutter compensation after plunging or took it off before retraction.
The point is the same for all the circles and ellipses and so far as I can see from a slightly tilted workpiece, equates to a runout of approx half the cutter width.

regards

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds