Convert from Anilam Crusader M to EMC 2

More
07 Jan 2013 05:23 #28422 by ryankracht
Hello all.

I used to have a functional Anilam Crusader M controller. One day it decided not to wake up. A bad capacitor in one of the boards was taking down the power supply. That is now fixed, but after trying my best at diagnosing the problem (and not knowing for sure which board is the one that was bad, it seems that now is a good time to take the plunge and try EMC 2.

I have schematics that are close to the architecture of my machine, but it appears that they are newer than the make of my hardware, and so are not entirely correct. I deciphered it enough last night to keep the existing e-stop circuit, and the auto/manual switch. I believe I found the appropriate "servo-on" contact to bring to common, and did so (after unplugging all the servo drives). Next, I plugged back in the z-axis only, and the servo powered up and moved. I realized that I still had the signal plugged into the anilam dnc board, so unplugged it and the axis powered up and it held position nicely..

Next, I plan to confirm that all limit switches are still present in the circuit, and test the x and y axis as well. Finally, I plan to generate a reference signal and attempt to move all axis.

My goal during this upgrade will be to use all existing hardware. It appears that no-one has successfully done this, but I don't know why this shouldn't be possible. Anilam had a functional control after all. From reading other posts, my understanding is that drives get a tach feedback, and the motion controller gets (relatively low resolution) position feedback from "glass scales". I know of one successful Anilam to EMC via PPMC, although he had to add rotary encoders. I would like to avoid this, or at least understand why my current set-up won't work.

I am open to various motion control options at this point, my preference would go to whatever can drive my current hardware most efficiently for a reasonable cost.

Any tips/advice/suggestions on the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2013 06:05 #28425 by PCW
Do you know the linear scale resolution and type?

If they are Heidenhain scales you may need an interpolator box
to convert the sine/cosine signals to quadrature

More
07 Jan 2013 10:06 #28432 by ryankracht
Looks like I have Anilam A10's, which as far as I can tell are 10 micron (.0004"), but can't find the type yet.

I did find the following pin-out, which might display my ignorance as the type might be obvious from this.
Attachments:

More
07 Jan 2013 12:18 #28433 by cmorley
Pretty sure most Anilam are quadrature square wave output. I'm 99% sure the A10 is.
It may or may not support a index too. What color is the name plate on the encoder ?

While this is not the same control it is an anilam and is an excellent write up:
code.google.com/p/sector67-sandbox/wiki/ProjectSheetCake

Chris M

More
07 Jan 2013 19:24 #28439 by BigJohnT
Seems like Anilam liked to hook up the encoders single ended too, might have been due to using the linear scale first on the Crusaders. Mine is a 1100M and I think that is a bit newer than the Crusader and even though the encoders are full quad with differential they only brought out the A+ B+ and Z+ lines to the control cabinet. Yep a quick google and the Crusader I and II came out in '74 with a LED display and in '84 with a 9" CRT and the 1100M came out in '92.

John

More
07 Jan 2013 23:01 #28445 by andypugh
[quote="cmorley" post=28433While this is not the same control it is an anilam and is an excellent write up:
code.google.com/p/sector67-sandbox/wiki/ProjectSheetCake[/quote]

A good write-up indeed.

The 5i25 / 7i77 combo might work better for that conversion now, though the 5i23 / 7i33 setup used there is still good and potentially more adaptable.
(I have a 5i23 in my milling machine, and I am using a wierd mix of hardware, resolvers, encoders, smart-serial)

More
07 Jan 2013 23:49 - 08 Jan 2013 00:01 #28448 by BigJohnT

While this is not the same control it is an anilam and is an excellent write up:
code.google.com/p/sector67-sandbox/wiki/ProjectSheetCake

A good write-up indeed.

The 5i25 / 7i77 combo might work better for that conversion now, though the 5i23 / 7i33 setup used there is still good and potentially more adaptable.
(I have a 5i23 in my milling machine, and I am using a wierd mix of hardware, resolvers, encoders, smart-serial)

Very good write up but he did things the hard way and could have ripped everything out but the power supply and the amps like I did on my 1100M conversion with the 5i25 7i77. While it was neat that he built an integration board so he could put the 1100M controls back in I can't understand why...

John
Last edit: 08 Jan 2013 00:01 by BigJohnT.

More
07 Jan 2013 23:54 #28449 by ryankracht
Chris, the nameplate is red (see pic).

I will check out the write-up to see what applies to my machine. It seems very good.
Attachments:

More
08 Jan 2013 00:00 #28450 by cmorley
They have converted a few machines and documented the process:
This should be some of the first things a first time integrator reads - just to get a feel for what they are getting into.

code.google.com/p/sector67-sandbox/w/list

More
08 Jan 2013 00:04 #28451 by cmorley
Ahh yes the red one. This is definitely square wave TTL output. I have some of these. I just can't remember the resolution.
IIRC the color is a clue of the resolution (red orange and green I have)

While TTL output means it's easy to connect to, it also means you can't improve the resolution - aside from replacing them.

Chris M

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds