H.E.S. 24NCS Lathe (24 X 60) conversion

More
06 Apr 2015 15:34 #57574 by andypugh

I have done a few searches on integrating the GS-2 and talks of downloading a driver and the connecting a mod bus cable. .

Unless you want to learn about ModbusI would suggest running the VFD with 0-10V control.

The Mesa 7i76 (Which I think you are using) has a specific set of output pins for driving a spindle VFD. It has a "digital potentiometer" and enable and reverse outputs. That is likely to be the simplest solution unless you want the extra features from Modbus control.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2015 15:42 #57575 by canner
I want to be able to use this lathe for threading, with the 7i76 connections would I be able to control the drive for that. I am sure that I can, I will look up the documentation for this board and start working on connecting the drive to the board, I will check back as I run into problems. Thanks

More
06 Apr 2015 15:46 #57577 by andypugh

I want to be able to use this lathe for threading, with the 7i76 connections would I be able to control the drive for that.

Yes. In fact LinuxCNC doesn't need to have control of the spindle at all for threading, it just needs the encoder feedback.

Which prompts me to ask a separate question… What are you connecting the existing encoders to? The 7i76 is not well-supplied with encoder counter modules.

The nature of the encoder counting system might lead to limitations on the spindle encoder you can use.

More
06 Apr 2015 15:54 #57578 by canner
I purchased the encoder several years ago but have not connected it yet, I need to build the hardware to attach it. My assumption was that I could connect it to the Mesa card but it sounds like that might not be correct.

I believe it is a quadrature type.

More
06 Apr 2015 19:39 - 06 Apr 2015 19:39 #57579 by andypugh

I purchased the encoder several years ago but have not connected it yet, I need to build the hardware to attach it. My assumption was that I could connect it to the Mesa card but it sounds like that might not be correct.

Having checked, it looks like the 7i76 has a spindle encoder interface, so you should be able to just connect it.

You mentioned X and Z jogwheels, these can be connected to the MPG pins if you set the software mode to 2.

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...-on-input-pins#57462

MPG wheels do not need an index channel, but a spindle encoder does.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2015 19:39 by andypugh.

More
06 Apr 2015 21:38 #57581 by canner
Thanks for checking on the encoder and the 7i76, that is greasy news.

The mpg wheels for this machine are mounted on the apron and at this point I don't know if I will. Having started to use a CNC machine I think I like g-code better then turning handles. I really feel like they were put on the machine for someone not comfortable with cnc.

Thanks for all of the help.

More
07 Apr 2015 07:15 #57595 by andypugh

The mpg wheels for this machine are mounted on the apron and at this point I don't know if I will. Having started to use a CNC machine I think I like g-code better then turning handles. I really feel like they were put on the machine for someone not comfortable with cnc.

I took some trouble to retain the option of using my CNC lathe in manual mode. I have never felt the need to do so, in about 5 years.

More
07 Apr 2015 14:27 #57599 by canner

I took some trouble to retain the option of using my CNC lathe in manual mode. I have never felt the need to do so, in about 5 years.

Yes, now that I have learned g-code I just can't think what I would want to use the handles for. I need to pull the mpg wheels and figure out something to plug the holes with.

I hope to be able to start on the latest wiring in the next couple of days, I might even learn how to post a picture on here of what I am doing.

Thanks for the help

More
07 Apr 2015 18:05 - 07 Apr 2015 18:06 #57605 by andypugh

Yes, now that I have learned g-code I just can't think what I would want to use the handles for.

I don't often write G-code either, I tend to use these macros
Last edit: 07 Apr 2015 18:06 by andypugh.

More
08 Apr 2015 00:08 #57613 by canner

I don't often write G-code either, I tend to use these macros

Yes, I had just recently read your thread on these macros. I plan on exploring these a little more as I have time, they look really cool. Learning is a little slow because I have five months of the year when I can really use this equipment and then seven months when I am to busy with the cannery and forget half of what I have learned. I need to find a little paying work on the side, that would help to keep it all fresh.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds