HURCO BMC-20P retrofit

More
16 Nov 2017 13:09 - 16 Nov 2017 13:11 #101891 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic HURCO BMC-20P retrofit
I just saw this thread.....

I have the big brother to that machine, mine is a 1993 BMC30

I have all the drawings for my machine if you want them. I thought they were supposed to be the same for the 20/30 with the exception of the drive and servo sizes.

I used Pico PPMC for my retro, I still need to get my tool changer going. Just too many irons in the fire right now.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2017 13:11 by Jake.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2017 20:47 - 16 Nov 2017 20:48 #101907 by Muzzer
Replied by Muzzer on topic HURCO BMC-20P retrofit
The original spindle drive drive is rated at 7.5kW (motor power) over a 5.3:1 speed range. That's a pretty good constant power range - nice drive.

The largest current products in the 3-phase 200V class from Yaskawa are badged as "4kW" but in fact they are rated for 5.5kW motor, with a 20% overload (60s) ie 6.6kW shaft power. That's 7.5kVA output load and 9kVA short term. They are marvellously conservatively rated and very well designed. You can get one of these for around 300 Euros including the EMC filter. If you are using more than 5.5kW continuous spindle power, you will be shifting some serious metal. Is that really likely - is it worth fitting something like a J1000, rather than paying top dollar for a direct replacement?

Murray
Last edit: 16 Nov 2017 20:48 by Muzzer. Reason: typo

More
17 Nov 2017 00:56 - 17 Nov 2017 01:05 #101912 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic HURCO BMC-20P retrofit

You can get one of these for around 300 Euros including the EMC filter.

Murray

Where???????
Thank you all for everything, here is the current status :
I dismantled the drive and the thyristor module fails to open when it need to, so i need 2 of those modules, located at the top op the drive, black boxy thingie with 6 screw terminals and 3 pins. These do not have a separate regenerative rectifier and transistor as some older models, just that module and a regen resistor. I need 2 as while i was checking this one and the spindle drive, another one started showing that error at random, sometimes even while on and moving the motor. Oh cra. !!!
I also checked the spindle drive and so far it looks like the power control module is shot, smalish board with 5 connectors all with yellow thin wires, looks like one of the 2 small transformers on it went the way of the DO DO ( a bird that is now extinct ).
Found a decent looking Toshiba spindle drive rated at 22KVA for 750 euros, but it is of 3x380V variety so i did not get it.......yet. Unfortunately no servo drives left.

To Bevins, can i have 2 of those modules if your drives use the same type and for how much would you be willing to part with them, or all three drive as they are as a bundle? Thank you.
I would also like to know if the 8i20 could be used to drive those motors, mine use standard incremental encoders at 5000 PPR, i would change all 3 of them and be done with it. Motors are 0.85KW so plenty of power on the drives.
Regards

Forgot to add, the wiring is done completely, axis tuned and running at 12m/m for now, tool changer programed ( and fixed as it had some issues ) and working properly, thanks to Andy and carousel.comp, some painting is in order.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2017 01:05 by tommylight. Reason: added more info

More
17 Nov 2017 11:34 #101924 by Muzzer
Replied by Muzzer on topic HURCO BMC-20P retrofit
Look at the supplier in the link I provided - inverterdrive.com/Catalogue.aspx?search=...)&filter=Power%7c4kW .

Note that by default the Yaskawa drives do not come with an EMC filter, so unless your cabinet has one of these already, you should get one. The Yaskawa filters are actually supplied by Schaffner, so not cheap but very neat. On my 3kW Yaskawa, it is specifically designed so that the VFD bolts to the front of the filter. I nearly missed that but finally the penny dropped. It's a senior thing.

If the IGBT module is buggered, it is likely that the gate driver circuits that control them will have been toasted too. The danger is that even if you replace the module, you may let smoke out of it when you power up if the drivers have gone West. I speak as someone who used to design VFDs.

230V input VFDs tend to be fairly limited on power - for higher power, generally an industrial installation would use 415V. However, on the upside you can usually run them on single phase, albeit at a slightly reduced rating in some cases.

Murray

More
22 Nov 2017 16:42 #102196 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic HURCO BMC-20P retrofit
did you do a M6 remap for the tool changer?

More
22 Nov 2017 16:49 - 22 Nov 2017 17:03 #102198 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic HURCO BMC-20P retrofit

You can get one of these for around 300 Euros including the EMC filter.

Murray

To Bevins, can i have 2 of those modules if your drives use the same type and for how much would you be willing to part with them, or all three drive as they are as a bundle? Thank you.
I would also like to know if the 8i20 could be used to drive those motors, mine use standard incremental encoders at 5000 PPR, i would change all 3 of them and be done with it. Motors are 0.85KW so plenty of power on the drives.
Regards

Tommylight, Sorry I missed this post. I will have to check which one's have which issue. All three have issues but I dont know which module has gone south. Which module is defective on yours?

This might be a mood point if we can get them working with mesa pico or STMBL drives......
Last edit: 22 Nov 2017 17:03 by bevins.

More
22 Nov 2017 17:46 #102206 by tommylight
Jake,
I used the default carousel comp that Andy wrote, it is included with Linuxcnc, took the parts from the remap/tool changer simulation config ( also included with Linuxcnc ), added the required input and output pins to hal files as i had them wired to the 7i70 and 7i71, modified just a bit of the toolchange.ngc to make it work as i will have to do some more changes to it later on to include some interlocks.
Also had to change the tool number to slot number in the tool table to correspond to the actual tool changer.

Bevins,
That is the top left module on the drive, black square, has info visible from above the drive. I am home so i have no access to it right now, type 6R1TI30Y080 from Fuji.

More
28 Jan 2018 07:51 #105101 by poolizei
Replied by poolizei on topic HURCO BMC-20P retrofit
Hi Tommy
Hi Jake
Hi All others

since a few days i own a Hurco BMC20 as you do.
My machine is based on FANUC drives so not 100% compatible to yours but I am certainly sure the tool-changer is the same. So I wanted to ask if it's possible to document the settings you made to get it up and running. I'm an absolute noob on LinuxCNC and some tips and hints to start from would be a great help!

Thanks for your support and BR from Austria!

Andreas

More
28 Jan 2018 23:36 #105130 by tommylight
Hallo Andreas,
As i noted on the other thread, the connectors on the fanuc drive look the same as those on the yaskawa drives i have so chances are they use the same wiring inside. You alse mentioned you have the manuals and schematics, so that makes it a lot easier. The toolchanger is the same, if it is the 16 pocket one.
Anyway you look at it, do not worry, we are here to help, and i might drop by in march or april, have some visiting to do in Austria.
Regards,
Tom

More
19 Sep 2019 07:41 #145558 by DaOne
Replied by DaOne on topic HURCO BMC-20P retrofit
Tommylight, is there any chance you can post your files for this machine configuration? Looks like I am using allot of the same things you are. I also have the manual for that spindle drive as well as the wiring for it on my machine I would be happy to send your way.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds