Hurco BMC30 Retrofit

More
17 Oct 2018 16:50 #118944 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Hurco BMC30 Retrofit

Andy,

I have done both of these. All remaining noise (and most of the original noise) seems to be coming from the servo drives. The noise only appears when the drives are powered on.

Regards,
Andy

Have you tried a common mode choke (giant ferrite bead) on the drive --> motor UVW wires?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2018 01:05 #118969 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic Hurco BMC30 Retrofit
What did you set your max speed and acceleration rates to?

I have a 1992 model of that machine.

More
18 Oct 2018 16:57 #119004 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Hurco BMC30 Retrofit
Where did the video go?
I was looking at the DYN4 drives for a future project. I have the older DYN3s on a lathe and they work great. No noise issues. I did mount line filters, one each per 120v AC control logic input. Looking at the spec, I'm surprised the new drives can accept 240v single phase for the control power.
Not sure how your 3ph is set up, something sounds off to me if your computer is flickering. Do you just have 3 power wires and a ground coming into the machine? Where are you getting the control power from?
Does the noise go away if you power the computer and drive logic off a separate 110v line?

More
21 Jul 2019 19:37 #140104 by Ozo
Replied by Ozo on topic Hurco BMC30 Retrofit
Thought I should really update this thread!

Finally got to the bottom of the noise issues.
The 2 main issues were a loose crimp in one of the servo cable connectors and the fact I had reused a lot of the original hurco wiring.
The loose crimp took quite a while to find by testing and pinpointing the issue.
I can only assume the original electronics were a lot more immune to noise. I noticed that the old wiring had earth points everywhere, I disconnected them all and brought everything to a star grounding config.

The remaining perceived "noise" I could see was the result of a cheap vga cable which ran alongside the servo to motor cables.

The machine has been working daily for the last 9-10 months.

I'm growing tired of the manual tool changes so I have started to configure the toolchanger.

I've had the rigid tapping working for the 9-10 months using the quadrature encoder on the spindle motor.
I have now configured the orientation and its working well however I've discovered that my 1:1 drive between my motor and spindle isn't exactly 1:1! So the index position is constantly moving. I guess this is why the machine originally had a separate index pulse directly triggered from the spindle. The original system is what I assume to be some sort of hall effect sensor which is then put through an amplifier, I haven't had any luck getting this to work yet but I need to play around with it some more.

I've identified all the control wires for the toolchanger. I'm currently waiting on a new brake pack coming for the tc motor and then it will be time to start getting everything connected up.

I'm very much enjoying the learning curve with the hal config, the more I learn the more I realise how powerful linuxcnc is, with a custom front end you could pretty much control just about any type of machine. Next thing on the list after the toolchanger is learning how to develop a GUI.

Picture is of the machine as it currently sits.
Attachments:

More
21 Jul 2019 19:47 #140105 by Ozo

Genius idea to fix the runout! Have you tackled your tool changer yet? The spindle orient step is giving me a lot of grief in my retrofit.

I've been following you on IG - keep up the good work!

The runout fix was risky and I wouldn't recommend it unless your desperate!

I've got the orientation working in theory, I just need a consistent index pulse and maybe some fine-tuning of the PID to complete.

I did have a look at your hal files you shared but it was very different from my own, I ended up just using the orientation diagram floating on here and worked through the connections one by one.

My hal has been butchered many times as I've learned on the go and definitely not a great example but id be happy to send it across to you if you felt it was worth having a look at.

More
21 Jul 2019 19:50 #140106 by giz
Replied by giz on topic Hurco BMC30 Retrofit
I'm definitely interested! Glad to hear your machine is working hard for you!

No rush however, mine isn't powered up currently and probably won't be for a couple more months. I'll be watching for your success in the meantime

More
21 Jul 2019 19:56 #140107 by Ozo

What did you set your max speed and acceleration rates to?

I have a 1992 model of that machine.

If I remember correctly 400mm/sec for accel and 7500mm/min for velocity. in theory I could travel at 15000mm/min but after 7500mm/min the servo motors start losing torque.

I could probably push more out of them but performance is fine for a box ways machine and for the work I'm doing on it.

More
21 Jul 2019 19:58 #140108 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hurco BMC30 Retrofit
@Ozo
Did you check a reteofit i did a while back on a Hurco BMC20 ? I think i did upload the files already and it should have the same type of toolchanger, mine had 16 tools/pockets, two pneumatic cilynders and a motor, an index sensor and a sensor for sensing each pocket. Used the carousel comp by Andy and some simple gcode, worked perfectly well.
It does not have 1:1 spindle to motor ratio, it does have a sensor on the spindle for orient with an amplifier located at the top of the spindle.

More
21 Jul 2019 20:26 #140111 by Ozo

Did you check a reteofit i did a while back on a Hurco BMC20 ?

Tommy,

I can't seem to find it using the search, any chance you could post the link?

That is exactly the same configuration as my changer so it would be really good to see your config!

Thanks,
Andy

More
21 Jul 2019 20:33 #140113 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hurco BMC30 Retrofit
forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cnc-machines/33529-hurco-bmc-20p-retrofit

Here you go, if the config is not there, let me know, i might have it on one of my ssd's.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds