Mikron WF 31 CH horizontal spindle disassembly

More
09 Nov 2021 16:34 #225856 by myval
I am running out of places to ask so here it is.
Any help is highly appreciated.
I need to reseal horizontal spindle on mikron wf31ch but I think I hit a massive massive wall.
I have managed to remove draw bar, input shaft, spring etc. but i can not get to the bearings and front seals.
Does anyone have any pointers?
I can not (i guess) split the front part of the shaft (the iso40 end) and the input spline where input shaft sits.
Thank you 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2021 23:20 #225894 by andypugh
Do you have any access to a drawing?

More
10 Nov 2021 05:08 #225923 by myval
Hi,
Unfortunately i don't have any drawings. The machine came with set of very incomplete documentation and i have not managed to get anything else. I have manuals for couple of different mikrons but too different.

More
10 Nov 2021 21:43 #226038 by andypugh
Well, all I can suggest is that, in general, the spindle shaft will come out towards the working end (as the bearings are bigger at that end), and on the other end it will be retained by some sort of preloading mechanism. But the rest is up to the whim of the designer.

Do you have any photos?

More
11 Nov 2021 07:23 #226070 by myval
Is it normally just pressed in or is it usually retained somehow?I try to get manual from the manufacturer but it is top secret apparently, they will not even supply cutaway drawing and they want almost ,€3000 plus shipping to fix it. Well that far exceeds the value of the machine.
attached is set of photos with the hydraulic end already removed and some with the input shaft still in place.

More
11 Nov 2021 08:21 #226076 by myval
I just done some measurements and hole diameter around the cone is 92mm and the other end is 95mm (input shaft end). This one could not be pressed forward I guess unless the input shaft end is some what more disassembled.

More
11 Nov 2021 10:10 #226086 by machinedude
the bearings have to have some kind of preload on them and if the spindle does not have some kind of bearing nut to set the preload then it can be done with some very precise heights and clamped from above possibly? you can spring load the bearings too but the only spring i seen looked like it was for the drawbar tension. i can't see those being linked somehow drawbar forces are based on the spindle tapper. bearing loads in spindles can vary but usually tend to be light in high speed applications.

only thing i can suggest is to first determine the spinning part of bearing for your spindle most are inner race driven and the outer race is stationary but the preload is on the spinning side. looks like the gear on top of the bearings has some cap screws those might need to come out to get a little deeper into the spindle. i would expect to see more than two screws for setting preload if that is doing it? but that might be the preload on the bearings but can't say for sure. bearings on shafts are usually pressed fit and the housing is probably almost press fit but could have setting compound on them if they don't move once you get deeper.

More
11 Nov 2021 10:17 #226088 by andypugh
It won't be purely a press fit.

I think that I see a couple of retaining rings with peg-spanner holes inside the top.

The issue is that there is probably a defined preload that the bearings must be adjusted to, and you have no way of knowing what that number is.

Why do you need to dismantle the spindle?

More
11 Nov 2021 10:33 #226090 by machinedude
i agree with you 100 percent on knowing preload when it goes back together. you could probably find that if you can get numbers off the bearings but i would not count on that alone. i don't know if i would count on the bearings after they are removed either. they are marked and assembled based on high and low spots of the shaft and bearing race to correct run out in small amounts too. just some more food for thought.

More
11 Nov 2021 12:44 #226098 by myval
Thank you for your pointers.
I have tried purely pressing it out both ways about 8t of force (below force bearings can handle) did not move at all.
There are peg spanner holes in there but with 1.5m long extension it would not move.
It only looks like there are any screws. There are two m4 holes on the outside stationary ring. Tried pulling on them but all it does it locks the shaft.
There are two more holes at cone end m6 but thee is nothing behind them except i can see the seal behind it in fair distance.
The reason i need to disassemble it is that the front seals are not sealing anymore and the spindle is full of hydraulic oil which needs to be cleaned up and re-greased.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds