Servo power supply sizing?

More
19 Feb 2024 02:53 #293739 by tommylight
See if you can use a schotky diode instead of the normal one, less voltage drop and less heat as it has to pass through 20A.
Broken power supplies are a good source for those.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2024 09:35 - 19 Feb 2024 09:36 #293751 by smc.collins
You have brushed dc servos, you must have encoder feedback for linuxcnc or the machine will never be accurate or repeatable.

A mesa 5i25 and 7i77 with encoders and dc brushed motir drives is precisely what you need to build. The geko drives will require a encoder feedback. Do not trust those drives to accurately position the machine.

If you need elecrtocraft tachometers, i have 4 that might fit off some dead servo motors.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2024 09:36 by smc.collins.

More
22 Feb 2024 04:26 #293954 by TimpanogosSlim

You have brushed dc servos, you must have encoder feedback for linuxcnc or the machine will never be accurate or repeatable.

A mesa 5i25 and 7i77 with encoders and dc brushed motir drives is precisely what you need to build. The geko drives will require a encoder feedback. Do not trust those drives to accurately position the machine.

If you need elecrtocraft tachometers, i have 4 that might fit off some dead servo motors.

Are you in sales or something? I thought i had made it clear that the servos on my techno-isel lc3024 have 1000ppr encoders attached and that i have acquired gecko G320x drives. My servos work fine. This cnc router has seen very little use in the 12 years since it was manufactured -- I just acquired it without the control box. The control box is probably still bolted to a wall somewhere in salt lake city. 

More
22 Feb 2024 06:17 #293957 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Servo power supply sizing?

Are you in sales or something? I thought i had made it clear that the servos on my techno-isel lc3024 have 1000ppr encoders attached 

No need to be rude. People here are donating their time and  just want to help. Sometimes a helper might get something wrong.
Thats the beauty of communications... the only thing clear is the message the recipient gets. And you sent it so thats your responsibility. 

More
22 Feb 2024 11:21 #293971 by smc.collins
As i have explained, your encoders need to goto the control card, unless you're attempting to foolishly use dc motors in step direction with the gecko drives

Best of kuck, as i have explained, you're building the machine in the wrong way. 

More
23 Feb 2024 04:04 #294047 by TimpanogosSlim

Are you in sales or something? I thought i had made it clear that the servos on my techno-isel lc3024 have 1000ppr encoders attached 

No need to be rude. People here are donating their time and  just want to help. Sometimes a helper might get something wrong.
Thats the beauty of communications... the only thing clear is the message the recipient gets. And you sent it so thats your responsibility. 

Respectfully, the DIY CNC community is lousy with people whose free advice is "Nah, throw away all that stuff and buy this other thing that appeals to me, that I maybe have not ever even seen in person"

I've heard that over and over on this project. Trash the brushed DC servos and get AC servos. Trash the brushed DC servos and get these steppers. Don't use that tried-and-true driver use this other driver that appeals to me in some way. etc. 

And it's not helpful.  

And I'm also a little irritated that so many people have attended the Tim Taylor school of engineering and want to tell me that everything needs to be so much bigger with more power grunt grunt grunt. With no supporting logic. 

More
23 Feb 2024 04:06 #294048 by TimpanogosSlim

As i have explained, your encoders need to goto the control card, unless you're attempting to foolishly use dc motors in step direction with the gecko drives

Best of kuck, as i have explained, you're building the machine in the wrong way. 

The DC320x drivers are explicitly designed for this use case? 

More
23 Feb 2024 09:39 #294058 by tommylight
Geckos work well, use those.
And if by any chance the existing encoders do have differential outputs, you can have one side wired to geckos and the other side to Mesa so you can close the loop in LinuxCNC.
Just be aware that gecko and Mesa must have the same ground for the encoder side.
-
I have a huge industrial plasma using geckos, in use daily for over a year, it never shuts down.

More
23 Feb 2024 20:58 #294115 by TimpanogosSlim

Geckos work well, use those.
And if by any chance the existing encoders do have differential outputs, you can have one side wired to geckos and the other side to Mesa so you can close the loop in LinuxCNC.
Just be aware that gecko and Mesa must have the same ground for the encoder side.
-
I have a huge industrial plasma using geckos, in use daily for over a year, it never shuts down.

That does seem to be the majority opinion. I'm sure that there are pros and cons for various other drivers. 

I'm dipping my toe in. I have no definite plans for commerce - I'm just fucking around. I may try to clone some of the odder soviet guitar bodies. 

So I'm starting small. I paid a bit short of $600 for the router including taxes, etc, and could have just stripped it for parts and sold them for a profit.

I'm starting with a parallel port BOB on an SFF computer I have kicking around. I'm sure there are opportunities for more speed, greater reliability, etc, that come with more money and more complexity. 

And yeah, they are differential output encoders, so I'll be attaching the positive side to the geckos and could connect the negative side to the controller. But I'll worry about that some time after it has moved under its own power. 

I've got enough pieces that i will cobble a temporary servo power supply and start testing stuff in earnest, maybe hook up the scope and function generator and take a look at the damping. 

I've got a large transformer that used to power motors on a c-band dish (with a single bigass diode and no filter caps!), that and a big bridge rectifier and some big caps should provide proof of concept. 

The price difference between 500w and 1kw antek supplies is small enough that I'm resigned to just getting the 1kw supply. And a soft start module. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Feb 2024 21:29 #294122 by tommylight
I will try to simplify it a bit more, if i can:
go buy a simple plain old switching power supply for LED strips, find one for 24V 400W and start making chips. Set motor current a bit lower, use a bit lower acceleration and speed, and watch the machine work.
Maybe you end up not needing more ... although getting two of those for 48V would give you way more speed! :)
This might also help you decide:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/47357...hines?start=0#257421

You can clearly see the 400W power supply powering everything, on a huge machine.
What you can not see is another same power supply behind the console waiting to be wired in.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds