Old Wabeco CNC mill

More
11 Mar 2024 04:01 - 11 Mar 2024 19:46 #295617 by Kandu
Old Wabeco CNC mill was created by Kandu
Hi All.

I have done a lot of looking around but I cannot find the answers I am looking for, hopefully someone hare can help.

I have been tasked with getting an old Wabeco F1210E, with factory CNC working again. I would like to get it going as cheaply as possible to start with, and once I can justify its use in the future I will look into upgrading Drivers, possibly Motors, BOB etc,

The factory software is Nccad, I do not have a license for this and from what I have been able to tell is that its not the most user friendly software, the demo version does not allow machine connection at all. I have a StarTech PCIe card coming to give me a parallel port,( model PEX2S5531P) .

I am hoping I can connect straight to the factory control board and get some life out of it with LunixCNC, it currently powers up and holds the motors from moving, I am taking that as a good sign. has anyone been able to do this? if so any tips on the software setup would be great

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2024 19:46 by Kandu. Reason: Added pics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2024 15:28 #295641 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Old Wabeco CNC mill
Pictures of the electronics and wiring?

More
11 Mar 2024 19:22 - 11 Mar 2024 22:09 #295672 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Old Wabeco CNC mill
It looks like NCCad uses a windows front-end and a microcontroller for the actual realtime control: www.max-computer.de/x5e/firmware.html

So we would need to have a bit more information about the system to work out where LinuxCNC would be inserted.

(EDIT) That looks to be parallel-port compatible, this could be an easy conversion. 
Last edit: 11 Mar 2024 22:09 by andypugh.

More
11 Mar 2024 19:56 #295676 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Old Wabeco CNC mill
Looks like all that is needed is to figure out the pinout of your step driver card
and then run stepconf using that info.

It does seem to be parallel port compatible, you could verify this by seeing if
pins 18..25 on the DB25 are grounded.

More
12 Mar 2024 06:16 #295716 by Kandu
Replied by Kandu on topic Old Wabeco CNC mill
I will have a look tonight when I get home and let you know, to test this do I test them all to pin 25 and check for continuity with a multimeter? or is it best to do it using 'parallel port tester' when get my PCIe card? 

thank you

More
12 Mar 2024 15:42 #295756 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Old Wabeco CNC mill
Checking with a multimeter was what was being suggested, I think. Mainly to get some confidence that it is actually a parallel port interface before you risk plugging in the PCI card.

While you have the multimeter out, make sure that the parallel port cable is a true 1:1 fully-wired cable.

More
12 Mar 2024 17:46 #295768 by tommylight
Oh i just went back and saw the pictures...
L297/L298 drives, the can do max 2A per motor winding, so if they are good - use them, otherwise get new cheap ones like TB6600.
Could you clean the dust of the board and parts so we can see traces?

More
13 Mar 2024 10:16 #295814 by Kandu
Here are some more pics that I was able to get, have not got to testing the pin outs just yet,
Also added a couple other photos that show some other wiring, the E-Stop has input power through it, and it appears that each stepper has 2 wires going through it as well. All seems to be running on 24V.

It looks like not many pins are being used on the 25pin, I will probe later and work out what ones go where.

Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2024 11:50 #295821 by tommylight

It does seem to be parallel port compatible, you could verify this by seeing if
pins 18..25 on the DB25 are grounded.

Do this fist to make sure it is ok to attach it to a parallel port, can not see traces where they go under the connector.

More
14 Mar 2024 09:56 #295885 by Kandu
I have had a look to see what pins are used, turns out, not many. Pin 25 appears to be a common ground, pins 18-24 not connected.

I have labelled the tracks below as to what pins they go to (blue number, but hard to see sorry), and the yellow circles are most of the connection points to pin 25/ground.

Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.709 seconds