Help needed! SEI DT router 650.

More
28 Feb 2011 23:08 #7512 by andypugh
If it takes HP-GL codes from the serial port there is no reason it couldn't take them from a Linux machine.

I have written software (in Gnu octave) which controls a Roland plotter this way. In my case I was using a Mac and a USB to serial convertor and the Octave code was used to slice an STL file and cut out layers to build up a model.

You can probably drive your plotter from a serial terminal application, just typing HP-GL codes. I can't remember many of them at the moment, just PU for pen up and PD for pen down. It's a very simple language though.

EMC2 is not likely to be much help with the machine configured as it currently is. EMC2 converts G-code into motor movements. Your current machine has a built-in system that converts a different language into motor movements. To use EMC2 you would need to replace all the current "intelligence" with EMC2.

It is possible that the current system has individual servo drives for each motor. If that is the case then you would need to remove the current motion controller, and connect EMC2 to those drives instead. If the power electronics are integral with the motion controller, then things are rather more difficult.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2011 10:48 #7528 by Borideleon
Pictures of main board
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2011 10:49 #7529 by Borideleon
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2011 10:55 - 02 Mar 2011 11:02 #7531 by Borideleon
The system board manufactured by Zilog. DNC program called DNC-X successfully sends files to the machine.
Is there a way to figure out how this router read .plt files i send? And how a replace it's "brains" with EMC?
Last edit: 02 Mar 2011 11:02 by Borideleon.

More
02 Mar 2011 11:09 #7534 by andypugh
A Z80? Wow!

What numbers are on the devices bolted to the heatsinks on the middle board?

What you have is effectively a printer. HPGL is a printer/plotter control language and with the right (generic) drivers you ought to be able to simply print to your engraver from any graphics package. (Best results will be from vector graphics software).
A quick Google suggests that Inkscape will output HPGL.

Alternatively, if you want to control the machine as a CNC machine using EMC2 and G-code you are looking at a complete retrofit, replacing the motor drives and controller (but you should be able to retain the motors and encoders).
Deciding the best way to retrofit does require knowing what the motors are (stepper or servo). The fact that I see 4 tracks to each motor on the backplane makes me suspect stepper, but one could easily be an earth.

More
02 Mar 2011 11:52 #7536 by Borideleon
I just got a reply from SEI support.

this machine runs with our software CCI, or with a software that use HPGL standard command (for example Autocad).

More
03 Mar 2011 12:30 #7557 by Borideleon
writing on system board
Attachments:

More
03 Mar 2011 12:32 #7558 by Borideleon
and another view
Attachments:

More
03 Mar 2011 13:05 #7559 by andypugh
Put a sticker/label on that chip with a window in it. That's an EPROM, and can be erased by UV light.

More
15 May 2012 18:47 #20115 by garyinspringhill
If all you need is 2 or 2.5d hpgl you can also use Tux Plot (google for it) it's a nice compliment to linuxcnc for machines needing hpgl output.
Also you may only be plotting just the corner because the machine's 0,0 coordinate is at the center of your workspace and NOT in the lower left like most machines. Tux Plot has a toggle that will overcome this problem for you.
The tricky part will be finding out the "z" axis command as each company seems to use a diff. command for z, once it's found out you can edit the z command in Tux Plot using the edit commands button.
Need any help email me..

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds