Rounding the corners off

More
04 Oct 2017 11:53 #99913 by new2linux
Replied by new2linux on topic Rounding the corners off
Many thanks, andypugh! I have struggled to find a work around and the only thing that I have changed (to cut the best part so far) is breaking the large file in to 3 smaller ones. This helped in several of the areas, but in bobcad when using "profile" (used just to cut around a shape, no pocket removal) you must have studied the geometry to know with complete and total confidence the tool diameter plus the "finish cut allowance" will fit or the tool will cut adjacent material, referred to as "part avoidance", who would of knew. Having not to known what to expect from bobcad, I was at a disadvantage, they are not to forth coming about the shortcomings. While in bobcad there is a way to save 1 or a few operations, at a time, as a separate file, to memory stick to linuxcnc machine, so it is possible, but think about managing the tweaks. When you have a "pocket to cut" there seems to be a lot of time when the tool cuts air (I am aware there is a way to edit the gcode file) goes over an area already cut or long rapid travel, not as efficient as I would of thought, in addition, the cutter overlap is recommended "max" 50%. I welcome your thoughts. I have thought how I would approach a project like this in the future.
many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2017 12:04 #99956 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Rounding the corners off
Have you tried Fusion360? Free for hobby use, and has very good CAM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
05 Oct 2017 14:32 #99962 by new2linux
andypugh, many thanks!! Fusion required internet at the machine, I believe, that was the show stopper. I will make this work, it just has some things that require work arounds. The issue about the length of file is unfortunate. If I find new information I will comment about it.

many thanks for all your help!!!

More
05 Oct 2017 23:07 #99973 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Rounding the corners off
I still don't think that the actual length of the file has anything to do with the path following. It has to be something inside the files.

More
06 Oct 2017 12:03 #99994 by new2linux
andypugh, Many thanks!
Is there a way or what other say "back plot" software that I could use to understand whats going on? Is there a way in linuxcnc to use the simulate w/o the machine "going thru the motion" of the cut? Just thinking about the run hours on the equipment. The way I found the file cut different was to naturally cut the part, the only difference in the files one was the whole and the other was to save as a group of stand alone machine sequences (edited to the sequences and saved as 3 files). This part is just something one would look at, has to other function, so if I am too critical or demanding say so in addition this was a very early part to learn on. If there is something I am missing something or if suggested reading/video is required, say so. My hope is to start to have an appreciation for how to edit the gcode part file so I can see it from your point of view.

many thanks for all your help!

More
06 Oct 2017 18:13 #100022 by andypugh

More
07 Oct 2017 02:53 #100031 by new2linux
I have read it, but will review again, many thanks!!

More
16 Dec 2017 05:53 #103160 by Skullworks
Replied by Skullworks on topic Rounding the corners off
new2linux:

If you get a chance post the latest version of the post file you are using.

The prior one from Bobcad appeared to have a lot of bogus settings.

More
16 Dec 2017 22:28 #103175 by new2linux
Skullworks, this is the most recent post processor for bobcad v29, hope this works! I renamed it to the .txt extension so it would attach.
Attachments:

More
17 Dec 2017 21:21 #103250 by new2linux
Skullworks, I would be interested in understanding more about post processors and what to look for in the editing to best suit/match cutter path software and controller. If your application or requirement is similar to mine, I would be interested in your approach to better understand how post processors work. Many thanks!

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds