DeskProto releases free CAM software for Linux.

More
30 Sep 2020 14:02 #184383 by Reinhard

The argument that Estlcam already offers this does not convince me

I guess, you got me wrong.

I didn't cite Estlcam in the sense, that there's already an app, so you don't need to keep on working.
No. I cited Estlcam, as it claims to be an easy to use cam for non-machinists - and it fails. It works with simple parts and yes, it supports trochoidal milling, but on complicated parts it simply fails and there is no way out.
Cambam is feature rich but does nothing automatically. So its said to be complicated. But it offers a bunch of tools that enable you to work out the most complicated piece you can imagine.

... as numerous CAM programs are on the market that already offer complicated CAM.

That's true for sure :(

At work we have very expensive CAM (various), but as most if not all parts are technical pieces, there are 2 colleagues who are faster with manual GCode coding, than any other with using CAM. They won't never learn or use CAM - and its ok for the company.

I think that's the point. CAM, CAD or any other abbreviation with starts with C should help the user use his time efficiently and not waste his time. Many programmers have lost sight of that goal.

however we try to keep the user interface simple. Which is not always easy...

There's a saying: the genius of an invention does not present itself by function complexity but appears in its ease of use.

So keep on becoming better.
... and if you need a tester, I'm willing to spent my time to help you improve DP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2020 15:00 - 30 Sep 2020 15:01 #184385 by LexLen
Ah, now I understand about Estlcam.

Thanks for your offer to cooperate in testing new software features !

BTW the post on Facebook is reaching a lot of people (www.facebook.com/DeskProto/posts/3295983023771724)
One comment might be interesting for you: "Wow, kommt mir bekannt vor.".

Lex.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2020 15:01 by LexLen.

More
30 Sep 2020 15:12 #184388 by andypugh

Is that a good STL? It looks strange. I wonder if it has internal surfaces that are confusing the CAM?

More
30 Sep 2020 15:34 #184390 by Reinhard

I wonder if it has internal surfaces that are confusing the CAM?

Hm, should be ok.
Its a dualside part, which means, it has to be milled from upside and downside. Blender states some minor errors with 3D-printer check, but prusa slicer processes the file without errors.

If you're interested, I could send you blender file and/or stl.

Cambam gets not confused from the stl.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds