Spanish translation, again

More
31 Jul 2020 20:29 - 31 Jul 2020 20:30 #176694 by abu
Replied by abu on topic Spanish translation, again
Another batch of translations pushed to github ...
74 files prepared from 116 original sources ...
The goal is very close .... I hope

Question.
Many files are heavily outdated. For example, motion/tweaking-steppers.txt is a sample of semi-orphan file. It is not a criticism, it is a fact.
How should i proceed with these files?
I can write the translated file with the corrections that I think are "correct" or ... should I wait for a correction of the original English text if it is ever done?
Last edit: 31 Jul 2020 20:30 by abu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2020 20:44 #176695 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Spanish translation, again
That particular doc does not seem to be orphaned, it is accessible from "Stepper Tuning" in the main docs page: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/
(Configuration section)

The problems I see with it are that it mentions a Dapper Wiki link and keeps using "EMC" when it should say "LinuxCNC".

The best thing to do in these cases would be to update the Spanish docs and then create an issue on the issue tracked for the English docs.

Incidentally, the broken link should be: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FixingSMIIssues

More
31 Jul 2020 21:17 #176699 by abu
Of course Andy.
tweaking-steppers.txt is not orphaned. It is a bad expression. When I say "semi-orphan file" I mean other forgotten details.
For example, in lines 30 and 42 the expression 'ovl max' appears. I can figure a newbie spending a lot of time finding out what 'ovl max' is since nothing appears in the latency window. In addition, the numbers do not match the figure in the latency test chapter.
I refer to these details.

More
31 Jul 2020 21:47 #176703 by andypugh

I mean other forgotten details.
For example, in lines 30 and 42 the expression 'ovl max' appears.

You are probably the only person to read through the entirety of the docs in sequence for some years. This puts you in a unique position to spot this sort of thing.
So, I do think that the thing to do is to raise a bunch of issues on the issue tracker, and we can sort them out.

More
06 Aug 2020 11:56 #177497 by abu
Okay. A short break and a yoga session.

When I go further and further in the translation (the language does not matter) I realize the existing gaps.
One of the main "problems", I think, is that the developers have never been aware of the need for correct translations.

The question is, do you really need translations?
Well. This is a "metaphysical" question.

There is an unquestionable fact: more translations, more users. Operating systems are a clear example. Microsoft (or Linux, or Apple ... etc) would have a lower market share without translations.

I am not saying that LinuxCNC's goal is "market share." I say that many potential users run away (or have been eject) from LinuxCNC because they simply do not understand English. I say this from my own experience.

Internationalization / localization / translation is not a trivial process. There are a lot of people involved: developers, maintainers, translators, and even users. All this needs an exact, coordinated and seamless plan. Right now, that doesn't exist, I think.

I am carefully reading the GNU Translation Project and the gettext documentation. At the moment, any resemblance to the reality of LinuxCNC is pure coincidence.

I am considering proposing a general guide for translations based on the GNU philosophy. Perhaps that text could be part of the Developers Information chapter?. I don't know..

To be continue .......
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Aug 2020 12:32 #179093 by MaHa
Replied by MaHa on topic Spanish translation, again
I did some research for a future project, i recognized some english html 2.8/2.9 docs, section 'Commands and userspace components' are in spanish now.
In 'Realtime components and kernel modules', the links are twice, and some of the info is in spanish also

More
23 Aug 2020 12:38 #179094 by andypugh

In 'Realtime components and kernel modules', the links are twice, and some of the info is in spanish also

What do you mean by "the links are twice"?

More
23 Aug 2020 12:59 #179095 by MaHa
Replied by MaHa on topic Spanish translation, again
it goes from abs to xor2 and following is in spanish:

at_pid
classicladder
counter
debounce
encoder
encoder_ratio
gantrykins
gentrivkins
gladevcp
hal_bb_gpio
hm2_7i43
hm2_7i90
hm2_eth
hm2_pci
hm2_rpspi
hm2_spi
hostmot2
kins
lcd
lineardeltakins
motion
mux_generic
opto_ac5
pid
pwmgen
rosekins
sampler
setsserial
siggen
sim_encoder
stepgen
threads
watchdog
weighted_sum

And then, the same again from abs to xor2.

randomly checking, in this section was all in english

More
23 Aug 2020 13:06 #179096 by andypugh
So it does, how odd.

The Spanish docs are only there once.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/index_es.html

More
23 Aug 2020 16:50 #179115 by andypugh
Should be fixed as soon as the current compile completes.

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds