IP Blocked

More
28 Jan 2023 11:37 #263071 by CNC_ANDI
IP Blocked was created by CNC_ANDI
Hello, i would login to linuxcnc forum by now i get the message ip blocked.... to many failed login requests...

i know my login user and pw...

And i dont have failed requests...

Whats the problem? Can you delete this ip block please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2023 12:49 - 28 Jan 2023 12:49 #263078 by JT
Replied by JT on topic IP Blocked
IP blocking is an automatic function when too may failed login attempts occur, usually from someone trying to hack into your account. The block only lasts one day. The IP Blocker was installed due to users accounts being Brute Force hacked.

JT
Last edit: 28 Jan 2023 12:49 by JT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
31 Jan 2023 15:58 #263366 by royka
Replied by royka on topic IP Blocked
My IP is also blocked somehow, if my account would have been blocked temporary I could understand the mechanism, but I could still login with a proxy. I suspect the IP blocking function is not configured properly or too aggressive.

More
31 Jan 2023 16:12 #263367 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic IP Blocked
IP blocking will ban a public IP, not your private one.
So it will block a whole neighborhood, a part of town, an ISP, etc etc, depending on a lot of factors.
Now, if you have a public IP, that would block only you.

More
31 Jan 2023 17:27 #263375 by royka
I do have a public IP from which I'm the only user so I don't understand why my IP is blocked ar the moment. I'd this once before when I was also visiting the site from Linux, not sure if it was Firefox or Chromium, but I suspect that something gives a false trigger to the IP block or something like that. I wasn't even trying to login and I it's very unlikely my Linux box got hacked and they're trying to login at this site via my connection.

More
31 Jan 2023 18:03 #263380 by tommylight
Are you a certified ISP?
Do you have web servers on 24/7 that need access from outside?
If you do not have those, there is no need for public IP, and that is a paid service, not something you can do or change.
But,
if you do have a public IP and it was blocked, check your wireless equipment as someone is using it to hack here.
So ...

More
31 Jan 2023 18:31 #263383 by royka
This is a bit confusing, you do need a public IP address to connect to the www. I don't have a static public IP address, I think it has a lease of a week or something. My WiFi is not hacked, I look every now and then on my router.

More
31 Jan 2023 20:05 #263388 by tommylight
Public IP's are the ones that the rest of the world can connect to, like youtube, this forum, etc.
Private IP's do not get routed to WAN, they are used only inside LAN.
If you are not on a public IP, no need to worry, probably was blocked due to someone from the same ISP as yours.
There is also the possibility of someone half way around the world using a VPN or TOR that goes out from your ISP.

More
31 Jan 2023 20:44 #263391 by royka
Not sure what you mean with being on a public IP. My modem receives a IP address from the ISP, that's a public IP (WAN address), without a public IP I wouldn't get a connection to the www. If someone could connect to it depends on if there is a port routed to a service which the client could connect to. My machines got of course private IP addresses provided by the router with a firewall (local network). If I would have the public IP on my machine (possible by bridging the modem/router), only that machine would have internet unless that machine should be configured as a router.
I'm not worried, but it's a bit annoying to need to workaround the IP block. Public IP addresses are unique, when I connect to www.linuxcnc.org it's my (public) IP that gets routed to the server of the web host of linuxcnc.org.
Although I'm not blocked anymore at the moment I still suspect there is something off with the configuration of the IP block tool.

More
01 Feb 2023 04:58 #263419 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic IP Blocked
The IP address may not be blocked by Linuxcnc. 

If  spam is detected sometimes the blacklist servers will block a whole address block.
In one instance a whole class C address block was blocked for one spammer. Thats 4 billion IP addresses. Very lazy work on behalf of the blacklist server. Then its up to the ISP to demonstrate it should be unblocked.

The following user(s) said Thank You: royka

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds