IP Blocked

More
01 Feb 2023 10:08 #263430 by royka
Replied by royka on topic IP Blocked
Ah that makes sense, hopefully this is incidental and not so many people who suffer from it. Otherwise it might be a good idea to check if it could be set a bit less aggressive/rigorous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2023 22:08 #263471 by JT
Replied by JT on topic IP Blocked
Every time an IP is blocked temporally it's always been 5 attempts in a few seconds so it's a seasoned hacker for sure.

JT

More
18 Feb 2023 23:26 #264779 by DrKnow65
Replied by DrKnow65 on topic IP Blocked
I have been blocked for too many failed attempts for two days. I have tried powering down my router and modem. I presume that this is not me specifically but my area. Is there anything I can do other than using my cell phone as a wireless hotspot (which is how I managed to connect now and post this).

Not educated on VPN's as I think it would conflict with some of the Raspberry pi/Echolink ham radio stuff I've been into.

More
19 Feb 2023 01:42 #264785 by royka
I'm curious with which browser you've tried to login, because I'd the feeling it was because the browser tried to automatically login.

More
19 Feb 2023 15:48 #264813 by DrKnow65
Replied by DrKnow65 on topic IP Blocked
Google chrome, but wouldn't it login successfully? The warning is failed login attempts.

I do also use firefox on the Pi, but I do not believe I have logged into the forum from the Pi.

I have cleared out the cookies to ensure it is not automagically logging me in every time I open the browser but I'll admit to not being an expert.
I am happy to have access again though :)

More
19 Feb 2023 17:35 - 19 Feb 2023 17:39 #264818 by royka
JT says it has to be a "a seasoned hacker" because it only blocks after 5 failed login attempts in a few seconds, maybe he's right but why would a seasoned hacker try to hack a LinuxCNC forum user account.
I'm also not an expert but Chromium/Chrome has an option to automatically login, I could imagine that there could be a situation it fails and repeats a few times.
The setting to automatically login is at: Settings -> Autofill -> Password manager -> Auto sign-in
Last edit: 19 Feb 2023 17:39 by royka.

More
19 Feb 2023 17:55 #264819 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic IP Blocked
I would venture a guess at someone using primitive "brute force attack" to login, those are automated and can do much more than 5 attempts at login in inside a second, but usually they are set with some delay between attempts to avoid getting black listed.
Then again, this can also be done by a virus/worm that finds credentials and web sites and tries to login to everything it found with every password at it's disposal.
Using Linux pretty much eliminates the second option.

More
19 Feb 2023 18:16 #264821 by royka
That could be possible however it's the IP that's getting blocked and DrKnow65 was also using Linux. Or as what rodw mentioned a whole address block is getting blocked after spam detection and maybe this is also the case with failed logins?

More
19 Feb 2023 20:21 #264826 by nf1z
Replied by nf1z on topic IP Blocked
Just to add to the mystery, I got this message on the Linux box (Firefox) I am currently setting up for LinuxCNC, but was able to log in fine from this Windows laptop and a Windows desktop (Chrome). From another Linux box, it was also OK. That uses Firefox, but an older version.

They all use the same ISP IP address.

More
19 Feb 2023 20:24 #264827 by nf1z
Replied by nf1z on topic IP Blocked
Just to be clear, I was not trying to login when I got the message, just read a post.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds