Kunena keeps failing me/A pitch for Discourse

More
03 Jun 2023 07:51 #272803 by Muecke
I realise that this is not what is wanted, but why doesn't the forum partly finance itself?
Financing options would be advertising (yes, I don't like that either) or a sponsor who is permanently named in the forum in return.

Has such a possibility ever been considered?
So you could put together a mini-group for the forum (admin/maintenance) who would receive this advertising revenue as an expense allowance.

Yes, I personally also find it very good that there is no advertising in the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2023 10:02 #272807 by tommylight

@Aciera, thank you for your answer. I like it very much.

+1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muecke

More
03 Jun 2023 12:48 #272815 by Aciera
A lot in the linux world works on a voluntary donation system. No idea how well that works but generally speaking once money is involved things need to be a lot more organized, accounts need to be run, there have to be structures that oversee the use of the donations because these kinds of situations can also attract people for all the wrong reasons. Does somebody in country A get paid the same as somebody in country B, what kind of contribution gets paid and what does not.
At the end of the day users are free to set up new support platforms in whatever form and time will tell if they can attract enough users to keep going.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muecke, JT

More
05 Jun 2023 15:42 #272946 by Muecke
Oh yes, you're right, I haven't thought about that yet, which also clearly shows that I've never had to deal with something like that before.

More
05 Jun 2023 16:19 #272947 by Muecke
I often read about the problem of the editor, but in my eyes that is not everything, apart from the editor. Here are the problems I see:
  1. Personal messages do not work.
  2. The user's signature cannot be displayed.
  3. There is no possibility to list all own topics. (I find important)
  4. There is no function to show all subscribed topics. (I find this very important)
  5. I don't find the navigation through the different sections of the forum well solved. (I think this is important)
  6. The editor does not work properly.
  7. Posts are destroyed when edited (formatting is lost).
What I find good:
  1. The possibility to upload pictures is good and easy.
  2. The space to post is generous (in some forums this is very limited).
  3. ... I can't think of anything else right now, ...
Greeting Mücke

I hope that a solution can be found, whatever it may be.

More
05 Jun 2023 18:42 #272962 by tommylight
1 they do, just disabled
2 probably also disabled, some members do have them (Gene Hacket or similar)
3 and 4, there is but it is messed up, "My Topics" shows topics started and replied by you, this should be separate as noted by Muecke
5 there should be some more categories to be clearer, but most of the stuff here can be in several categories, so it is not easy to clearly discern them
6 i agre
7 yes they are, sometimes making a new post is much easier and cleaner.
Good:
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes ... hmmm, leme try
4 very friendly members
5 very helpful members
6 no spam
7 no banners
8 messages not deleted despite rarely deserving it
9 most messages for help are replied very quickly, very often inside 15 minutes,
10 again, very, very good members who help despite all being very busy with their jobs and no rewards for it.
Danke, Muecke.

More
05 Jun 2023 18:59 #272963 by Muecke
5. has lost its way!
I don't mean the categories, but the navigation on the page.
E.g. I'm in the "German" forum and then want to go to the "Forum Questions" forum, I can't find a list of forums on the page, for quick navigation, or I've overlooked something.

I have trouble switching categories when I'm in one.

7. Doesn't refer to new posts, but to posts where something has been forgotten. I think 5 times about just making a new one and naming the wrong one because links etc are lost etc.

GOOD:
4 & 5: It's not because of the forum software, it's because of the users ;-) and you are all great.
6 Yes, is it because of the forum software? maybe, too old, nobody programs anything for it.
7 What do you mean? (Advertising)
8 It's not the software, is that a good feature? if there are posts that don't get replies?
9 I'll have to check that out.
10 That speaks for the community, but is independent of the forum software.

Gladly, it's important to address problems and try to understand what the needs are, because that's the only way we can grow together and become stronger.

We owe progress to the complainers. Satisfied people don't want change!
H.G. Wells

More
07 Jun 2023 22:23 #273127 by Muecke
What else occurred to me, which is also not available here in the forum, is to set a topic to done, I know that from other forums too, and it helps in the overview whether a topic has found a solution or not.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds