Sherline CNC Lathe - Issue with Jogging

More
06 Mar 2013 11:58 #30953 by dmcgill
Just got a new Sherline Lathe with full CNC. Hooked it up and running LinuxCNC.

Started off fine for a minute or so, but the jogging is screwed up. On both the X and Z axis, the "-" and "+" will send the motor in the same direction.

Not sure where to start to look to correct the problem and would appreciate someone enlightening me.

Darrell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2013 17:01 #30959 by cncbasher
please post your hal and ini configuration files

chances are it's a typo error

More
06 Mar 2013 17:38 #30960 by Rick G
Is just the jogging wrong? Do regular moves such as G1 or G0 work correctly? Did you home the axis?

Rick G

More
06 Mar 2013 20:40 #30965 by BigJohnT

Just got a new Sherline Lathe with full CNC. Hooked it up and running LinuxCNC.

Started off fine for a minute or so, but the jogging is screwed up. On both the X and Z axis, the "-" and "+" will send the motor in the same direction.

Not sure where to start to look to correct the problem and would appreciate someone enlightening me.

Darrell

The direction pin is either not connected or is not on the correct pin. With Axis running open Machine > Show Hal Configuration and drill down the pins to the Z axis direction pin and add it and the parallel port pin to the show window so you can watch it toggle.

John

More
06 Mar 2013 21:54 #30969 by dmcgill
I figured out how to show the HAL information on the screen. It shows "true" and "false" being sent correctly for both axis.

I changed the LPT port mode to ECP and X seems to be working - not sure if that is simply coincidence.

Oddly enough, it is happening in Mach3 for Sherline as well. So it seems that the signals are being sent correctly, but somewhere between the LPT port and the steppers, is where the problem is occurring.

I have another PC that I can hook up and test it with. Maybe it is a Parallel Port issue?

Darrell

More
06 Mar 2013 21:57 - 06 Mar 2013 21:57 #30970 by dmcgill

Is just the jogging wrong? Do regular moves such as G1 or G0 work correctly? Did you home the axis?

Rick G

G1 and G0 do not work correctly - it shows them moving properly on the screen in 2 directions, but only one way when it gets to the stepper motors.

Like I said, it will work in both directions in the beginning, then it just starts moving in one direction after a bit.

Darrell
Last edit: 06 Mar 2013 21:57 by dmcgill.

More
06 Mar 2013 22:03 #30971 by andypugh

I have another PC that I can hook up and test it with. Maybe it is a Parallel Port issue?

It could be, perhaps the p-port is overheating due to be asked to source too much current.

Is it possible to wire so that the p-port is in current-sinking mode? (1k pullups to +5V)

More
06 Mar 2013 22:31 #30973 by dmcgill
I loaded Mach3 for Sherline onto another PC. It is working; however, you cannot use 2 of the same direction commands in a row.

For example ::

G00 Z2
G00 Z2

The second "G00 Z2" will not make it move.

The following will work:

G00 Z2
G00 Z-2
G00 X2
G00 X-2

Any fix for that?

Thanks guys for your insight!

Darrell

More
06 Mar 2013 22:36 #30974 by dmcgill

It could be, perhaps the p-port is overheating due to be asked to source too much current.

Is it possible to wire so that the p-port is in current-sinking mode? (1k pullups to +5V)

This is a complete SherlineCNC package, I would have to assume that they have the electronics straightened out by now...or maybe not.

Do you know what pin # it is that I would be looking at?

Thanks,

Darrell

More
06 Mar 2013 22:37 #30975 by cncbasher
why would you need to do 2 Z moves together ? where one will do ..
bad programming ?

their also fast moves between trajectory moves so you would not need or want 2 fast moves together
G0 is for moving between point to point

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds