CNC Router Rebuild

More
19 Feb 2014 23:48 #43980 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic CNC Router Rebuild
Open that box up. Its what's on the inside that matters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2014 23:55 #43981 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic CNC Router Rebuild
send closeup pics of the servos, and try and get model numbers off of them, and yes...... Open up that box!

More
20 Feb 2014 01:01 #43982 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic CNC Router Rebuild
ok the first question is ,, hows your electronics knowhow ?

if the power supplys and the amplifiers are in working order , this just means changing out the pc side of things and rewiring the limit switches
which is not too much of a big deal , so long as you take some detailed informaton notes along the way , i'm happy to help guide you through
and figure this out , which apart from taking some pictures as you go and use of a multimeter , you'll be fine .

but take note i'm in the UK ,

More
20 Feb 2014 01:15 #43983 by johndavi
Replied by johndavi on topic CNC Router Rebuild
FYI, we have an employee in plant that handles all of our electrical work
Attachments:

More
20 Feb 2014 02:05 - 20 Feb 2014 02:12 #43986 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic CNC Router Rebuild
100_0620.JPG looks like a custom but fairly standard 3 channel analog velocity mode
drive for brushed motors. The main motor power supply is also included on that card
(the large toroid transformer in 100_0622.JPG is part of the motor power supply as well)

The trick will be finding the locations and types of the analog and control
signals needed to make the drives/power supply work.

Any block diagrams/schematics/manuals or at worst, close ups of any terminal markings
can help here

EDIT
Looks like the drive interface connectors are marked so a closeup (maybe with the connector pulled) will help a lot
Last edit: 20 Feb 2014 02:12 by PCW. Reason: addition

More
20 Feb 2014 03:23 #43987 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic CNC Router Rebuild
The amps/drives are on board 100_0620.JPG, the old controler in pic 100_0621.JPG

The red and blak wire pairs at the bottom of board are probably the power to the motors (what makes them turn).

The 3 bundles of 10 wires at the top are probably feedback and control wires. The questions are whay type of feed back and what kind of control?

It isn't looking like you are going to easily find any documentation for integrating these amps with LinuxCNC. It might be easier, to start fresh with different amps/drives. Not that it can't be done.

Like Peter said close up pics of any labeling on the boards near the wire connections could be quite useful and give good hints to what they might be. Check the labeling, both where they connect to the drives, and where the other end of the wire goes (ei the lableing on the old control boards). If some of these wires go directly to the motor or if they all go to the old control board.

More
20 Feb 2014 06:04 #43989 by johndavi
That’s what I have been saying all along,, a rebuild,, just need help from experienced people about known good hardware and PC to work with LinuxCNC and hopefully a touchscreen for operators to use. I would prefer at this point to hire someone who can come in and assist with this project.

More
24 Feb 2014 20:32 #44123 by johndavi
Any takers on someone willing to help with this retrofit for hire? I am running out of time before we will have to call in a commercial company that will do the same as this company did to us. Proprietary Hardware and Software. Again we are willing to pay for services.

More
16 May 2020 19:03 #167996 by superscaryco
Replied by superscaryco on topic CNC Router Rebuild
im very interested in this project. i have a used cnc with that control box. im wondering if you successfully converted it and if you continued using the actek box. the cnc came with flexcam, we got everything setup but the z axis wants to drive up quickly into the bumper whe n engaged it does not move like the x and y axis

thanks

More
26 May 2020 10:45 #168962 by johndavi
Sorry. It is like 6 years later. I was told move on and use a different solution. This is sad, and why they will not let me use Linux solutions. We can't just pick up a phone and call for support. The forums are slow unless it's an easy fix.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds