LinuxCNC vs Commercial

More
19 Apr 2015 14:03 #57887 by wizard69
Replied by wizard69 on topic LinuxCNC vs Commercial

Yeah, probably not for this one. I'm probably going with Todd's recommendation of starting with an older used machine and possibly updating the controls if necessary. I'll look at doing a build once I'm more familiar with it and already have something in place.

Updating the controls can be a major undertaking if you haven't done this before. If your shop needs to be OSHA compliant then you need to come up to speed as far at the latest safety requirements. Even if it isn't a shop under OSHA oversight you still want to consider building the controls in a way that is compliant. Dust removal is another big factor in safety and something that justifies an enclosed machine to help contain dust and swarf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2015 21:52 #57895 by Todd Zuercher

Yeah, probably not for this one. I'm probably going with Todd's recommendation of starting with an older used machine and possibly updating the controls if necessary. I'll look at doing a build once I'm more familiar with it and already have something in place.

Updating the controls can be a major undertaking if you haven't done this before. If your shop needs to be OSHA compliant then you need to come up to speed as far at the latest safety requirements. Even if it isn't a shop under OSHA oversight you still want to consider building the controls in a way that is compliant. Dust removal is another big factor in safety and something that justifies an enclosed machine to help contain dust and swarf.

It's still orders of magnitude easier than starting from scratch.

More
24 Apr 2015 19:37 #58082 by aventtini
Replied by aventtini on topic LinuxCNC vs Commercial
i so something interesting on the commercial side. Protection against runways on the controller . That must be an interesting thing .

More
28 Apr 2015 23:28 #58194 by DuNuNuBatman
Replied by DuNuNuBatman on topic LinuxCNC vs Commercial
What makes commercial controllers special? A lot of them seem to run windows which for me would indicate it is a front end to a hardware controller.

At this point, I'm probably going to bail on the diy route and instead get a machine with support. Down time would be more expensive I think...
I'm still very much interested in this on a more personal level. The biggest issue I have all of the controllers is the input. You can either put the gc on a flash drive or if it is really fancy, you can pull it from network storage. One of the main reasons I wanted to use LinuxCNC over Mach was I could write a custom UI that would integrate our existing project software so the employee could select from a project instead of manually selecting the pre-nested code from a file store.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds