Electronics upgrade, wish to stay with Linuxcnc

More
19 Aug 2016 18:31 #79091 by cartec01
Are you serious? That would be awesome!!!

So, I was looking at:
Not entirely sure what the difference is with these 2...they all say digital....

www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...eat-sink-is-included

or
www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...epper-drivers/kl5056

Could also do www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...epper-drivers/kl5042 But if you recommend running it at 4A then this driver may be pushed.

I can't seem to narrow down a BOB. The above company was very friendly on the phone, and seemed very smart, but was not familiar with LinuxCNC at all. They have several BOB's from $26 to $126 that have more then 4 axis's, but again I was told they are designed around Mach3, and may not work well with Linuxcnc.

Does it seem Like I am atleast going in the right direction here, or should I be looking elsewhere? You don't have to name companies, but just a simple "those would work good" or "I would keep looking around." :)

thanks again, I am starting to feel a bit more confident about doing this....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2016 18:34 #79092 by andypugh

I can't seem to narrow down a BOB. The above company was very friendly on the phone, and seemed very smart, but was not familiar with LinuxCNC at all. They have several BOB's from $26 to $126 that have more then 4 axis's, but again I was told they are designed around Mach3, and may not work well with Linuxcnc.

If it works with Mach it will work with LinuxCNC. The parport doesn't know what software is driving it.

More
19 Aug 2016 18:45 #79093 by tommylight
For the BOB, the link i sent you is fully customizable, meaning you can do whatever with outputs and inputs ( 5 axis, plus 2 outputs for spindle or else).
Drives i sent the links for, have an "no bull sh...t" rating, so the 4A one gives 5.6A RMS, and so on, i have tested them and they absolutely do not lie about it, or protections.
for a difference of 18$, i would not think twice.
I have no affiliation with them, i am just a happy customer that bumped into them by accident ( although i was never told i need a programmer for 28 euros, so i am still PO at them for that).

More
19 Aug 2016 18:50 #79094 by andypugh
DIN Rail mounting is cool too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cartec01

More
19 Aug 2016 19:11 #79096 by cartec01
Tommy,
On the BOB you recommended for example, it says it uses 5v, and as you and Andy have said most use 5v. What is the reason for the 24v inputs/outputs?

More
19 Aug 2016 19:27 #79097 by tommylight
They can work with 24V, but normally they use 5V signalling on hobby machines and 24V on industrial machines.
On the other hand, i tend to torture them a lot a do to them things no one sane would do (like inverting the polarity of power supplies, short circuiting the outputs, use for things not intended to etc etc).
Oh well, i am pretty good at electronics, a computer hardware expert, network anything exp..........never mind.
The essence of this story is, i am fully aware of why i am suggesting something, everything that i get, i do a thorough test before putting it to use.

Andy, i do love the DIN rail mount system, but i can not find a decent enclosure around here deeper than 18 CM! For my purposes that is unusable.
Regards
P.S.
Why the h..l do i still appear offline on this forum, but i can post !!!!! ???
P.S. after the initial P.S.
I am going out to grab a coffee, nicotine and caffeine levels to low !!

More
21 Aug 2016 03:30 #79192 by cartec01
Tommy, Those drivers look great, but there seems to be a lack of US supply and support. What do you guys think of these two drivers, and could you give me your opinion on if the more expensive one would be worth the extra money on a machine that does cutting and inlay/3d stuff in wood and will not see any form of aluminum cutting? I honestly have no idea what the few differences in specs translates to in real life. :)

www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...epper-drivers/kl5056

www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...eat-sink-is-included

More
21 Aug 2016 13:39 #79199 by tommylight
I have to say, they both look the same and sound the same except for "digital", but that is not important now.
They will both do the job, and they are from Kelling, so i am sure the quality is up to par.
I would buy the cheaper ones for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cartec01

More
21 Aug 2016 17:30 #79206 by cartec01

I have to say, they both look the same and sound the same except for "digital", but that is not important now.

Tommy,
In the title for both drivers they both say "Digital." Is that a misprint, or are there different variations of digital?

The reason I keep going back to this company is because they are down the road from me. Not to say I would order online, and the BOB Tommy recommended looks nice.

If I stick with the company down the street, I was thinking about 5 of the www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...s-cnc-breakout-board and www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...s-cnc-breakout-board for the BOB .Of course I would also need some wire which I would assume they have. Do you think I will have to upgrade my PS from 40v 10a?

More
21 Aug 2016 18:54 #79207 by tommylight
Nah, the PSU will be more than enough, and the BOB will do just fine.
Do not over think it to much, start doing and see how it goes.
We will be around, for sure.
Regards,
Tom

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds