Whole GUI hangs up

More
06 Mar 2018 01:08 #107010 by andy
Whole GUI hangs up was created by andy
Hello.

Last October we've updated LinuxCNC to 2.7.11. Firstly it worked like a charm.
But after about a week host machine started to hang up at the random time. Sometimes after couple minutes of work, sometimes after hours. Strange this was that the mill still worked as expected, carefully following the program. But GUI was just freezed. I couldn't even open linux console with Ctrl+Shift+F1 (or F2 ...). It looks like some user space issue with kernel, but I'm not sure.
Later I've raised latency to 30000. It looked too much but... it worked. Computer didn't hang up so I thought I managed that problem.
And last week same issue has returned.

Maybe someone had something like that? What could I miss? Where should I look? Can this thing happen due to the age of computer? Maybe HDD or other device problems?

Our milling machine is PFE 1500-PX.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2018 12:36 #107029 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Whole GUI hangs up
This is a computer problem, nothing to do with the milling machine.

Have you applied the SMI patch? (If you don't understand the question then you haven't). I think this can cause problems sometimes (some machines need it, but on others it is a bad idea).

If LinuxCNC runs normally then it is unlikely to be a memory problem, but it could be a graphics card problem.

How repeatable is the issue?

More
06 Mar 2018 20:17 #107056 by andy
Replied by andy on topic Whole GUI hangs up
Thank you for response.

No I haven't try SMI patch. I'll check what chipset our computer has. Maybe I should try it. Why is that bad idea? Can it destroy chipset? :) Is this a page I should follow? wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FixingSMIIssues

This problem happens almost at every program. But amount of time before it stalls is pretty random. On the same job it can freeze at the different time. I've also tried find something useful in dmesg or syslog and had no luck.

By the way we have similar computer (they both had been bought about the same time) which couple days ago showed same behaviour. We use it pretty rare so it had no opportunity to show this. Until now.

Strange thing is that on the previous version (unfortunately I can't name it right now. If it can help, I can find it out) we had nothing similar to this. All started when I've upgraded LinuxCNC to 2.7.11.

More
06 Mar 2018 20:27 #107058 by andypugh

Thank you for response.

No I haven't try SMI patch. I'll check what chipset our computer has. Maybe I should try it. Why is that bad idea? Can it destroy chipset? :)

Yes, it can. (apparently)

I was suggesting it as a possible cause, not a possible fix.

What the SMI patch does is solve a very high latency spike every 64 seconds. If you don't have that problem than don't apply the patch.

More
10 Mar 2018 16:44 - 10 Mar 2018 16:46 #107189 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Whole GUI hangs up
I have a similar problem. I'd like to know if it's computer relater or not. I can make the gui hang during MDI mode when I issue a spindle rpm number and then select a x,y move from the history. If the spindle is not at the commanded speed it hangs if I try to re select the x,y move or select a different position. The whole MDI tab becomes blank (the list of historical m and g codes) and gui become non responsive. Keyboard keys also fails. The good thing is, no movement is executed. If I ramp the speed up manually to where I'm in range of spindle at speed the spindle at speed led on my panel is still indicating not at speed and no movement occurs. This is on a manual rpm control, vari-drive bridgeport mill with encoder feedback. I have been able to repeat this 3 times with similar results. Usually gui comes back to life after 30 seconds to a min or so. This has not occurred during execution of g code program in automatic mode or when I'm just jogging in MDI mode with spindle running at random speed. Am I confusing the system with my manual ramp up of the rpm?
This is on axis 2.8.0-pre1-2762-g42ff261 with mesa hardware. Attached is the dmesg file.

[ 37.073041] hm2_5i25.0: initialized AnyIO board at 0000:03:00.0
[ 37.164477] NMI: PCI system error (SERR) for reason a1 on CPU 0.
[ 37.164481] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

Thank you,
OT
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Mar 2018 16:46 by OT-CNC. Reason: added error message

More
10 Mar 2018 17:03 #107190 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Whole GUI hangs up
That's a hardware error, either a bad PC, bad 5I25, dirty PCI connector/5I25 contact fingers or bad ATX power supply

The 5I25 should only assert /SERR if it detects a parity error on the PCI bus

More
10 Mar 2018 17:18 #107191 by OT-CNC
Thanks for the quick reply PCW. I'll pull the card and check contacts for starters and voltage. On debian, is there a way to monitor system voltage or get additional error messages to see if its PC related?

More
10 Mar 2018 18:13 #107192 by andypugh
Pausing until spindle at speed is set to true is normal behavior, but it should only pause motion, not everything.
Is the motion.spindle-at-speed pin connected in HAL?

More
10 Mar 2018 18:46 #107194 by OT-CNC
I believe I have:

spindle-at-speed => motion.spindle-at-speed

Yes, the pausing is normal behavior which works nicely during program execution. I have a contactor for now that enables the spindle and I usually get motion after spindle at speed becomes true.

More
11 Mar 2018 04:53 #107206 by OT-CNC
I did some configuring today, machine was powered on for 3 hrs or so, launched linuxcnc numerous times and did another dmesg at the end and no errors came up. I did not dig into the pc or try to bring up the frozen screen. Is this type of parity error something that would be intermittent?

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds