Hurco Hawk 5M Retrofit w/ existing motors

More
03 Apr 2018 22:57 - 03 Apr 2018 23:37 #108340 by biqut2
I am in the process of bringing a 24-year-old Hurco VMC back to life. The control has a bad hard drive and that as good of an excuse as any to upgrade to something nicer. I've used LinuxCNC in the past, the name used to be different, on a stepper based machine. This time around I would like to use a Mesa card and reuse the current motors from the machine, at least initially. They are Baldor DC Servos. From my understanding, these are just basic dc motors with 2500L encoders on them. The label on the side reads:
CAT NO. MTE-4535-SPECIAL
SPEC NO. FME0204B-00
MFG. CODE S3/94
TORQUE STALL 40 LB-IN
MAS SPEED 4500
MAX VOLTAGE 180
VOLTAGE CONT. 32.0
CURRENT CONT. 16.4
CURRENT PEAK 70.2
TACHOMETER 7.0
ENCODER 2500 L

I am looking for some guidance as to whether or not I can use these servos and the best way to go about doing so. I do plan to purchase new servos for the machine just not right now. For what its worth the one I plan on upgrading to are 120-DST-A6HS1 from www.dmm-tech.com/ac_servomotor_main_a1.html#jmp1 .Thank you in advance for any help or direction anyone can provide.

EDIT: Attached photo of pinout on motors.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 23:37 by biqut2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2018 01:43 #108341 by PCW
Do you have motor drives?

More
04 Apr 2018 01:49 #108342 by biqut2
Yes, I do however I do not know how to properly interface with it. Its a 4 axis unit with 3 motion cards installed. Attach is a picture of it inside the control cabinet. I am awaiting a reply from the manufacture of the servo drive unit but they may or may not be any help.
Attachments:

More
04 Apr 2018 02:10 #108346 by PCW
Look like the rather common SD1525 Analog servo drives or a variant, you can download a
manual (that should be close) here:

www.servodynamics.com/manuals/
The following user(s) said Thank You: biqut2

More
04 Apr 2018 02:17 #108347 by biqut2
I'm assuming you mean this one? www.servodynamics.com/wp-content/uploads...DS1015-10_manual.pdf

none of the ones with pictures look anything like mine and the 3300-0522 number doesn't seem to match up unless I'm overlooking something.

More
04 Apr 2018 02:29 - 04 Apr 2018 02:34 #108348 by PCW
It looks like a SD1525 (or rather three SD1525s) but older ones than shown in the manuals
the 3300 PN is probably the 3 axis multi drive chassis

The model SDFP4-1525 is a clue

diagramasde.com/diagramas/aires-acondicionados/SD%201525.PDF

looks like your model (single drive)
Last edit: 04 Apr 2018 02:34 by PCW.

More
04 Apr 2018 02:35 #108352 by biqut2
Okay, in that case, I am looking at the www.servodynamics.com/wp-content/uploads...0/1525brs_manual.pdf manual. It indicated two modes, both of which accept a +-10vdc control voltage to control the speed and direction of the motor. So the control loop would involve tapping into the encoder signal to count pulses and stop the motor when the commanded position has been reached? And I'd need an i/o card capable of multiple +-10vdc signals and inputs to accept each of the encoder outputs. As I'm typing all this out it sounds a lot more complex than a simple step/direction system that I'm used to.

More
04 Apr 2018 02:52 #108354 by PCW
Yes, this is a standard analog velocity mode servo, something that
LinuxCNC is well suited to control (and has advantages over step/dir systems)
including the ability to disable the drives without losing position and homing to index
(index is the Z pin on the encoder)

More
04 Apr 2018 02:57 #108355 by biqut2
Well, you have interest peaked when you mentioned the advantage over the step/direction systems. Is there is write-up or guide somewhere I can read over so that I am not taking up so much of your time answering my ignorant questions? Mainly I want to get my hardware all ordered and on its way, just want to make sure I order what I need is all. Don't want to waste time/money messing with things I don't need or the wrong hardware altogether.

More
05 Apr 2018 03:01 - 05 Apr 2018 03:04 #108416 by biqut2
I received the requested information from Servo Dynamics. They are hand drawn schematics/wiring diagrams from 1992. This set of drives was custom made for Hurco and doesn't correlate with any of the other drives they have on their site. They did, however, send me a manual with a plethora of information about this one. Also, I've been reading through linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/pncconf.html and see that it allows me to configure all of my PID settings on the servos. I've also been reading a few guides on how to properly tune the PID settings once you get everything set up. I must admit though I'm still at a loss as to which mesa card would be best for me. This is a 3 axis mill with a power drawbar, no atc (right now anyway) 6 limit switches, automatic lube, and the spindle motor is running on a 3phase rotary converter. Any suggestion on the best card to get without going way overboard?

EDIT: I believe this is the one I need: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc..._id=218&search=+7I77
please correct me or offer any input if this isn't the best/correct choice.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2018 03:04 by biqut2.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds