total beginner - run stepper motor at continuous speed to drive lathe leadscrew

More
09 May 2018 22:48 #110467 by Stormbird
Hi Andy, no my 7i76e and drivers and motors are not connected to the lathe yet and configured. Hopefully next fortnight...very many thanks for your help. Will revert when connected and configured. Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
14 May 2018 07:27 #110719 by hbilar
Hi there,

I wrote that arduino code linked to on GitHub.

Whilst I think it might work, please be advised that it's just a proof of concept that has only been run on a test bench so far. For example, the hall effect code is something I migrated from one of my other projects, and it hasn't been tested "as one" to see if it works properly.

Unfortunately my lathe project is currently on ice, because I'm currently studying at uni, however I'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

One thing to note might be that the steppers typically have 200 steps - I'd say you should gear the drive so that your chosen lead screw and "smallest" unit of measurement (e.g 0.01mm) is an integer number of steps.
E.g if you have a 2mm lead, then things are simple, but if you have a 3mm lead, you'd need to gear it so that one step of the stepper is 0.01mm on the leadscrew (3:2?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds